Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:11 PM

854 posts, read 2,863,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
If the USA were a top 4 team with a genuine chance of winning the World Cup I think we might find that a lot of the haters suddenly become big fans.
this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 04:43 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've never disliked the World Cup and even enjoy watching...

I tried to watch a game the other day and had to turn it off... I found the incessant Humming Noise to be particularly grating after a period of time... especially bringing the noise into my home

Yes, I tried, but I couldn't take the noise. Also, the games have been particularly boring, which is saying something. I remember the last World Cup as having better games. I would also be really annoyed if I watched an entire game only for it to end in a tie. I'll try again when it gets out of group play. Hopefully the games will be better then.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:59 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
I've never disliked the World Cup and even enjoy watching...

I tried to watch a game the other day and had to turn it off... I found the incessant Humming Noise to be particularly grating after a period of time... especially bringing the noise into my home

That's kind of what I was thinking while watching the U.S. vs. England game. I was like, " Is that noise just England fans or is it just the tradition of that stadium in South Africa?"

Old 06-13-2010, 11:42 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking while watching the U.S. vs. England game. I was like, " Is that noise just England fans or is it just the tradition of that stadium in South Africa?"
I was thinking my TV had a problem at first... really.

Of course, World Cup can do as it pleases... just like I do

Old 06-13-2010, 11:55 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
I was thinking my TV had a problem at first... really.

Of course, World Cup can do as it pleases... just like I do

Yeah, I hear ya...It sounds like a swarm of bees or something.

Do as you please baby as long as it doesn't involve a bottle of lotion and sitting by yourself in your local movie theaters...lol

Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times
I personally like the bashing. For me it is an indication that this is the most popular and more important sport in the world. Going out of your way to badmouth a sport just means that the sport is too important to let it pass. So come on haters, keep on bashing….bad press is still press!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:04 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
because the majority of Americans are racist and have this "holier than thou attitude" about themselves and this country. They see foreigners as 2nd class citizens. This is why most of the world dislikes Americans. I have many friends who started making fun of the World Cup when it started on Friday.....they are furious that Football season hasn't started and major networks are showing soccer. Sad situation.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
because the majority of Americans are racist and have this "holier than thou attitude" about themselves and this country. They see foreigners as 2nd class citizens. This is why most of the world dislikes Americans. I have many friends who started making fun of the World Cup when it started on Friday.....they are furious that Football season hasn't started and major networks are showing soccer. Sad situation.
You know what...there may be some validity to this. I live in a pretty backwards state (Indiana) and I've noctied that alot of my "friends" that have a seething hatred for the world cup and soccer in general have a pretty strong hatred for anything that isn't "American" or dominated by Americans. Most of them are pretty racist too, which stikes me as odd because all of them love the NFL/ College football, which is primarilly dominated by African-Americans. I even brought this up to a guy I work with yesterday (who is constantly ragging on the world cup) and his response was something along the lines of "yeah, but the white man controls all the minorites in the NFL". SAD SAD SAD!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Because they feel threaten. That's it.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Sadly there is a lot of truth in your statement. I didn't realize how arrogant we Americans are conditioned to be until I moved to another country and could SEE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer