U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:44 AM

740 posts, read 1,847,316 times

Advertisements

I'm for removing the horn on the same grounds that I'm for removing skanky-dressed girls from the games. Starting with the mini-skirted Oranges (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Two-Dutch-mini-dress-models-arrested-after-defyi?urn=sow,248867 - broken link). Disagree? Then get used to it. This is South Africa. The horn has probably been a fixture of past soccer games, and wasn't a problem to the local African audiences. Until us 'foreigners' started tuning in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 AM

19,540 posts, read 21,014,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
I'm for removing the horn on the same grounds that I'm for removing skanky-dressed girls from the games. Starting with the mini-skirted Oranges (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Two-Dutch-mini-dress-models-arrested-after-defyi?urn=sow,248867 - broken link). Disagree? Then get used to it. This is South Africa. The horn has probably been a fixture of past soccer games, and wasn't a problem to the local African audiences. Until us 'foreigners' started tuning in!
Get used to migranes? Bull-pucky.

It's the world cup. Foreigners are supposed to be guests of the host nation.

The South African noisemakers are rude and unwelcoming. It was a huge mistake to gift these morons with such a prestigious event, and everyone knows it.

Let's all hope that this is the last international sporting event for South Africa for a long, long time.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:12 AM

740 posts, read 1,847,316 times
Yep, that's why white-Europeans/Americans/anything don't travel to Africa. Africans are uncivilized, mentally inferior, demon-worshiping violent brutes. Ain't that right, Yeledaf?

In every match I've seen, the commentators' voices are (far) louder than the horns.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:15 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,467,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Get used to migranes? Bull-pucky.

It's the world cup. Foreigners are supposed to be guests of the host nation.

The South African noisemakers are rude and unwelcoming. It was a huge mistake to gift these morons with such a prestigious event, and everyone knows it.

Let's all hope that this is the last international sporting event for South Africa for a long, long time.
No, actually nobody knows it. Putting the WC on African soil, and especially in that country that was in huge trouble just 20 years ago....is one of the proudest things I've ever witnessed as not just a sports fan; but a human.

Long live the Vuvuzuelas!!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,421,638 times

Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,150,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
and shove it.

brb trying to watch world cup while listening to 90 minutes of a buzzing sound from a bunch of retards blowing a freakin horn nonstop.

yes mad

yes raging
try watching games at midnight / 4am - it does my head in ... I'm already half asleep and then have that buzzing background noise

Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,255,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
and shove it.

brb trying to watch world cup while listening to 90 minutes of a buzzing sound from a bunch of retards blowing a freakin horn nonstop.

yes mad

yes raging
Yep, I refuse to watch it because of the freaking buzzing.

What's really bad is I say that several US companies are starting to sell them for football season.

I sure as hell hope that the NFL bans them because I will never watch a game that allows them.

busta

Old 06-16-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Yep, that's why white-Europeans/Americans/anything don't travel to Africa. Africans are uncivilized, mentally inferior, demon-worshiping violent brutes. Ain't that right, Yeledaf?

In every match I've seen, the commentators' voices are (far) louder than the horns.
Yawn. Take your fake race-bating and shove it up your plastic horn.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
No, actually nobody knows it. Putting the WC on African soil, and especially in that country that was in huge trouble just 20 years ago....is one of the proudest things I've ever witnessed as not just a sports fan; but a human.

Long live the Vuvuzuelas!!
Enjoy the vicarous pride. Its short-lived. But the deafness will last a lifetime....

Old 06-16-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Yep, I refuse to watch it because of the freaking buzzing.

What's really bad is I say that several US companies are starting to sell them for football season.

I sure as hell hope that the NFL bans them because I will never watch a game that allows them.

busta
Plastic horns are nothing new. They were called Hula Horns when they were first invented back in the late 1960s. They were quickly banned from sporting events in the US because of their obvious obnoxiousness.

It's amusing that some posters here defend them as being somehow representative of "indigenous African culture." What a load. Such arguments are both false and ignorant.

Next we'll be hearing that they grow on vuvuzela trees...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or