Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 12:16 PM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times

Advertisements

Group A is a mess now with 4 teams at 1 point.Great news is that the next matxhes in this group will likely be hard fought as a loss can mean elimination already.
South Africa did well vs. Mexico, they run a lot and deserved the point, although the game was anything but memorable. Mexico needs to make some changes and quick. Why they keep Guardado on the bench is a mistery but more than that they were amazingly without ideas at midfield and way too slow.
They definitely need to do much more in the next games vs. Uruguay and France or they are facing another disappointing World Cup.

France played well early against Uruguay, a bit too much...sometimes in the opponent box you need to take a shot instead of keeping up with fancy passing leading nowhere. Uruguay as expected played for the point, struggled in the second half and should be happy with the result.

Everything is still open, but France and Uruguay might have a little advantage on the others.

In group B South Korea outplayed and especially outran Greece, and showed also good tactical acumen and organization. No surprise if they join Argentina in the next round.

Argentina to be honest played poorly against Nigeria, but still got the win they needed. As expected, it looks like this powerhouse's main problem is the coach. Maradona left home one of the best midfielders in the world Cambiasso to rely on an old and slow Veron.
Striker Milito who did great in the tough Italian league with Inter Milan and led his team to the Champions League title, is on the bench...anyway, they will go through the group stage, but if Maradona keeps playing is buddies instead of the best players, their dream of winning the World Cup might remain just that.
Nigeria is in trouble and will need to win the next two games to qualify. Greece doesn't seem to have enough to compete in this group.

Group C

Slovenia has the lead with 3 points but will go home, They somehow managed to win against Algeria without doing much at all. England was disappointing in their first game, but it was..the first game. USA did well and got a good point in what was their toughest game in the group.

Unless they relax, England and USA should easily win the next two games, move on and decide the first place on goals differential.

GROUP D

It looked like Serbia and Ghana were more than happy to share the prize and get a point each. Then Serbia went crazy, committed two unnecessary hand fouls, which in order caused a red card and then a penalty kick and the goal that gave Ghana the lead.

It's early but this can pretty much means Serbia is 80% out of the Cup, as they lost to their rival for the second place. Germany-Australia is about to start and Germany should be able to avoid shocking surprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 01:09 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,057,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Group A is a mess now with 4 teams at 1 point.Great news is that the next matxhes in this group will likely be hard fought as a loss can mean elimination already.
South Africa did well vs. Mexico, they run a lot and deserved the point, although the game was anything but memorable. Mexico needs to make some changes and quick. Why they keep Guardado on the bench is a mistery but more than that they were amazingly without ideas at midfield and way too slow.
They definitely need to do much more in the next games vs. Uruguay and France or they are facing another disappointing World Cup.

France played well early against Uruguay, a bit too much...sometimes in the opponent box you need to take a shot instead of keeping up with fancy passing leading nowhere. Uruguay as expected played for the point, struggled in the second half and should be happy with the result.

Everything is still open, but France and Uruguay might have a little advantage on the others.

In group B South Korea outplayed and especially outran Greece, and showed also good tactical acumen and organization. No surprise if they join Argentina in the next round.

Argentina to be honest played poorly against Nigeria, but still got the win they needed. As expected, it looks like this powerhouse's main problem is the coach. Maradona left home one of the best midfielders in the world Cambiasso to rely on an old and slow Veron.
Striker Milito who did great in the tough Italian league with Inter Milan and led his team to the Champions League title, is on the bench...anyway, they will go through the group stage, but if Maradona keeps playing is buddies instead of the best players, their dream of winning the World Cup might remain just that.
Nigeria is in trouble and will need to win the next two games to qualify. Greece doesn't seem to have enough to compete in this group.

Group C

Slovenia has the lead with 3 points but will go home, They somehow managed to win against Algeria without doing much at all. England was disappointing in their first game, but it was..the first game. USA did well and got a good point in what was their toughest game in the group.

Unless they relax, England and USA should easily win the next two games, move on and decide the first place on goals differential.

GROUP D

It looked like Serbia and Ghana were more than happy to share the prize and get a point each. Then Serbia went crazy, committed two unnecessary hand fouls, which in order caused a red card and then a penalty kick and the goal that gave Ghana the lead.

It's early but this can pretty much means Serbia is 80% out of the Cup, as they lost to their rival for the second place. Germany-Australia is about to start and Germany should be able to avoid shocking surprises.
Yep, you are right on. I'm watching Germany vs. Australia right now... I gotta be honest, Germany looks damn impressive! Very fun to watch and playing absolutely on fire so far....

Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Someone tell the Aussies it is soccer, not rugby Well, one of their players already got the red card

Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Yep, you are right on. I'm watching Germany vs. Australia right now... I gotta be honest, Germany looks damn impressive! Very fun to watch and playing absolutely on fire so far....
Germany played very well. But it was Australia. Can they do it against an Italy or an Argentina?

Old 06-13-2010, 02:39 PM

So far I have not seen any really good team, I hope this whole thing won't continue at that low level. Unfortunately even the Brazilians and Africans have moved away from magic to strategy, which is boring to watch.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Germany played very well. But it was Australia. Can they do it against an Italy or an Argentina?
Yeah, you have a good point... I'd love to see the German team I saw today play against Italy or Argentina... THAT would be an awesome game!!

BTW, did you see S. Korea play the other day? I was very impressed by the way they played... It was against Greece though! They are not very good right now...

Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Yeah, you have a good point... I'd love to see the German team I saw today play against Italy or Argentina... THAT would be an awesome game!!

BTW, did you see S. Korea play the other day? I was very impressed by the way they played... It was against Greece though! They are not very good right now...
I think Germany will get better. They have some good young players and quite a lot of flair. In addition, they are the only team so far that has shown an ability to use the width of the pitch to their advantage.

S. Korea did well but, lets be honest, Greece are a poor side. Lets see how the S. Koreans do when they come up against a better side.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think Germany will get better. They have some good young players and quite a lot of flair. In addition, they are the only team so far that has shown an ability to use the width of the pitch to their advantage.

S. Korea did well but, lets be honest, Greece are a poor side. Lets see how the S. Koreans do when they come up against a better side.
Again, I agree with you. I think they play against Argentina next, that should tell us alot about the Koreans.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,998,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Someone tell the Aussies it is soccer, not rugby Well, one of their players already got the red card

That red card was completely undeserved. Now, Cahill's World Cup career is over due to a bad call. Very sad.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That red card was completely undeserved. Now, Cahill's World Cup career is over due to a bad call. Very sad.
I watched it as well, the other guy is lucky his lower leg is not broken. That particular Aussie who saw the red card had a couple of rather rough interactions before, to put it mildly. I think he deserved the red card.

All those fouls are one of the reasons I don't like soccer that much. Not to mention the whole art of deliberately falling that has evolved around fouls. That often amounts to cheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer