U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,751,348 times
Reputation: 2809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But wouldn't the goalie be able to check the cherry picker? The goalie can use his hands, right? If the goalie sees the long ball coming, what's stopping him from grabbing it away from the offensive player?

I suppose he could but again you take all the fun out of the game. The ball still gets booted from one end to another.

By taking away offside, you eliminate the need for midfielders. Midfielders are generally the most skilled, exciting players in the game. If you do that, there is no point in the sport existing.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2010, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,751,348 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff 11 View Post
i still dont get it... how can you go offsides without the line being there. I got a friend from Iran and she's a big fan of soccer and even she don't understand that rule.

The line is set by the 2nd defender.

It's really not that hard to understand. There are some YouTube videos that show examples and explain it.

When the ball is played forward (this is key, it is when the ball leaves the feet) by an attacking player, the player receiving the ball has to have at least 2 defenders including the goalkeeper between him and the goal.

Example - Landon Donavon passed ball forward to Clint Dempsey. The goalkeeper is in this goal so that is defender #1. A fullback from another team is right in front of Dempsey on the goal side, therefor, he is onside.

Example 2 - Landon Donavon passes ball forward to Clint Dempsey. The goalkeeper is in goal still but this time Clint has ran past the defender closest to goal so he is offside.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I suppose he could but again you take all the fun out of the game. The ball still gets booted from one end to another.
So you would just have a game where the goalies launch the ball downfield hoping that someone on their team is able to punch it in for a score?

It seems that that strategy would produce even less scoring than the game currently has. It seems tremendously difficult to accurately throw, little less kick, a ball 90 yards down a field to a specific target. And since the goalie can use his hands, and the other players can't, it seems that he would snag nearly 99% of all those kicks. The others would probably just get ricocheted out of bounds.

After 45 minutes of doing this, don't you think teams would simply abandon that strategy?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,751,348 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Thus allowing a more open arena to score goals..... GASP

That's what you fail to understand, there doesnt need to be more goals.

When you were a kid (assuming you still arent), did you ever play neighborhood games with like 20 to 30 kids like tag or hide-n-seek?

There was always this spoiled brat kid who wanted to play by his rules or not play at all? You remember that.

That's exactly what Americans who ***** about offside sounds like. They dont understand the game and want it changed because they thing goals is what is the exciting part. They expect the 200 and some odd countries that love the sport the way it is to change it so it caters to them. It's ridiculous.

What most American sports fans dont seem to understand is that a well played sports game is a perfect blend of offense and defense. Yet, most fans love to see 45-42 football games, 125-117 basketball games, or 11 to 9 baseball games.

All those games that people think were so enjoyable were actually very poorly played contest. Anytime scores get up that high, the teams did not play well. I guarantee anytime you see scores like that, the coaches on both sides are livid.

If you ever see a 6-4 soccer game, it wasnt well played. I will admit, it is fun to see a scoring marathon like that from time-to-time but in reality, it wasnt a very good game. It's kind of like NASCAR crashes are fun to see but pure racing fans hate them because it means someone made a bad mistake.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,751,348 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So you would just have a game where the goalies launch the ball downfield hoping that someone on their team is able to punch it in for a score?

It seems that that strategy would produce even less scoring than the game currently has. It seems tremendously difficult to accurately throw, little less kick, a ball 90 yards down a field to a specific target. And since the goalie can use his hands, and the other players can't, it seems that he would snag nearly 99% of all those kicks. The others would probably just get ricocheted out of bounds.

After 45 minutes of doing this, don't you think teams would simply abandon that strategy?
They wouldnt necessarily have to put the ball in the box, they can place it right outside. There are some damn accurate keepers. If you get players like Peter Crouch that are like 6 foot 7, they will get the ball most of the time. You would probably see a sudden increase in the hieght of soccer players because it will become a new desired attribute.

As someone who has played and followed this sport my entire life, I can tell you that it wouldnt work. It just wouldnt. You can either believe me or not believe me but it is what it is.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's exactly what Americans who ***** about offside sounds like. They dont understand the game and want it changed because they thing goals is what is the exciting part. They expect the 200 and some odd countries that love the sport the way it is to change it so it caters to them. It's ridiculous.
Americans do love scoring, this is true. And to an extent, scoring does make a lot of sports more exciting. Though I do get your point about the rarity of goals making the celebration of such that much more intense.

Personally, I would get rid of offside not only because of the lack of scoring, but also because I think it would reward a broader range of physical attributes. I often hear friends say, "If you took away the offside rule, players would have to become more athletic and faster, and you'd see athleticism trumping skill." I don't really buy that...as if you can't have players who are both very athletic and very skilled. I do appreciate soccer because it levels the playing field, but at the same time, I like sports like basketball because you have to account for the attributes of each player (ie, quick on quick, tall on tall, strong on strong).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
They wouldnt necessarily have to put the ball in the box, they can place it right outside. There are some damn accurate keepers. If you get players like Peter Crouch that are like 6 foot 7, they will get the ball most of the time. You would probably see a sudden increase in the hieght of soccer players because it will become a new desired attribute.

As someone who has played and followed this sport my entire life, I can tell you that it wouldnt work. It just wouldnt. You can either believe me or not believe me but it is what it is.

I'll just have to defer to your opinion because I simply don't know enough about the game. I was just curious.

But if I put myself in the shoes of a goalie, and I saw Peter Crouch standing outside of the box, I would always be no less than 20 feet from him waiting on the long kick from the goalie. Once I saw that ball go into the air, I would take off and try to either catch it or spike it out of bounds like a volleyball. I'm only 6', but I still have a hard time believing that Kobe Bryant could get his head higher than I could get my hand.

I'm not raising these hypotheticals to stir up controversy. It's just that I was watching the USA vs. England game and saw the refs call back these plays for "offsides." It didn't make any sense to me. I think there are rules in plenty of sports that don't make sense, not just in soccer. In football, for example, the offensive player can grab a defensive player's facemask and throw him down into the mud. That's called a stiff-arm and it's legal. But if a defender does that to an offensive player, it's called a "facemask" and it's usually a 15-yard penalty and an automatic first down. Huh? In basketball, you have 8 seconds to get the ball over the halfcourt line, but it's not like holding the ball in the backcourt for 20 seconds and then trying to score in the last four is a brilliant strategy. It's sort of a pointless rule.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-17-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,751,348 times
Reputation: 2809
Actually, it is a facemask either way. No player on the field can legally grab another's facemask. However, football has bent the rules towards the offensive players favor because the NFL knows that scoring sells. But, it is not legal for the offensive player to do it either, it is just called a lot less.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,751,348 times
Reputation: 2809
There are two things I can add:

1) It is suppose to be hard to score in soccer. Scoring is suppose to be a triumph. In football, baseball, and especially basketball, scoring is no big deal. I am one of the rare people that like low scoring football games.

2) Soccer might be one of the only sports where the rules are designed to have a perfect split between both offensive and defense. Hockey, football, baseball and other sports that are popular in America keep changing their rules to favor offense because they know that is what sells.

If you take offside away, the balance tips in favor of offense. That's wrong. All sports should have a perfect balance. Offense and defense are equally important; however, American sports fans have started ignoring that and just want scoring, scoring, scoring. I appreciate a great defensive play just as much, if not more than a great offensive play. In fact, one of the main defensive strategies in soccer is called the offside trap. It is a tactic in which the defense pushes up in effort to trap and offensive player offside.

In soccer, you may not have a lot of goals but you have a lot of great tackles, acrobatic saves, and great steals that are all fun to watch.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2013, 04:12 AM
 
1 posts, read 4,742 times
Reputation: 10
Default suggestion for offside rule

I would like to suggest something for football off-siderule.Enclosed file you can see my suggestion.There are two additional lines on the pitch. Off-siderule will be applied only between post line and new line.is it nonsense or logical? Please advice
Attached Thumbnails
Offside rule in soccer-football-pitch.png  
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top