U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 01:04 PM

9,578 posts, read 8,881,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD47john View Post
Its the rule of the sport though. Its followed and used all around the world. Why should it be changed because a few people don't like it?

Its like me saying that I seen an NFL game and thought it was boring. So they should now use a tennis ball instead of a football.
Agree..this is a fair point ..but to me soccer is a sport that could be enhanced by allowing more long runs and stopping the defense from squeezing the field. But one cannot argue the fan interest around the world.

Was watching Mexico game last night and you are right Brian about the flopping! So annoying. Also fellas..why not have an actual clock on the field rather than make people guess about extra time? So antiquated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Quote:
Its the rule of the sport though. Its followed and used all around the world. Why should it be changed because a few people don't like it?

Its like me saying that I seen an NFL game and thought it was boring. So they should now use a tennis ball instead of a football.
The shape of the American football is kind of ridiculous, it makes grown men look foolish when there is a fumble.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
Lol are you crazy! You actually think the game would be better WITHOUT the offside rule?!

Can't even take you serious lol.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol are you crazy! You actually think the game would be better WITHOUT the offside rule?!

Can't even take you serious lol.
Who are you referring to?

I never said that at all

Old 06-12-2013, 03:24 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Agree..this is a fair point ..but to me soccer is a sport that could be enhanced by allowing more long runs and stopping the defense from squeezing the field. But one cannot argue the fan interest around the world.

Was watching Mexico game last night and you are right Brian about the flopping! So annoying. Also fellas..why not have an actual clock on the field rather than make people guess about extra time? So antiquated..
Nobody guesses the injury time, the 3rd Official tells the ref to play X amount minimum.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Nobody guesses the injury time, the 3rd Official tells the ref to play X amount minimum.
But the players and fans don't know until you get to the end of regulation time...yes, at least now they actually say the amount of extra time which is an improvement over a few years ago.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think he means that in some stadiums, injury time isn't shown on the screen. Say it hits 90 mins and 4 minutes are added on, a lot of stadiums wont show you when its the 93th minute or whatever on the screen. At least I think that was what jp03 was getting at. I could be wrong?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I think he means that in some stadiums, injury time isn't shown on the screen. Say it hits 90 mins and 4 minutes are added on, a lot of stadiums wont show you when its the 93th minute or whatever on the screen. At least I think that was what jp03 was getting at. I could be wrong?
Kind of.. my point is why do we have to wait until time ends to find out how much extra time there is. Why not just stop the clock when it needs to be stopped?

Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 AM

3,522 posts, read 3,922,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
What a great way to take any ounce of excitement out of a game. Wait a wing is breaking ! Off side of course. Hell, if I were the defense I'd just stand right at the other teams goal all the time. We'd have 20 players packed in a foot wide area...Its like a game of cat and mouse, just put a darned line down and if the ball crosses it first its offside , if not its fair game. No wonder soccer scores are so low, nobody ever has a chance to make a run.
Offside only applies to opponent's half. You can't be offside in your own half. Know the game, at least, before you go on hating.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 AM

3,522 posts, read 3,922,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
No, you wouldnt. Because beyond that line, the rule no longer applies so you are eliminating the rule for a portion of the field.
Which is the case already...lol people make me laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or