U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 AM

9,585 posts, read 8,896,503 times

Advertisements

What a great way to take any ounce of excitement out of a game. Wait a wing is breaking ! Off side of course. Hell, if I were the defense I'd just stand right at the other teams goal all the time. We'd have 20 players packed in a foot wide area...Its like a game of cat and mouse, just put a darned line down and if the ball crosses it first its offside , if not its fair game. No wonder soccer scores are so low, nobody ever has a chance to make a run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 AM

858 posts, read 2,205,286 times
Of course you can make a break away run in soccer. You just have to TIME YOUR RUN CORRECTLY to avoid the offsides call! It happens more often than you think.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,347,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneb View Post
Of course you can make a break away run in soccer. You just have to TIME YOUR RUN CORRECTLY to avoid the offsides call! It happens more often than you think.
It also takes skill to break the offside trap.

If there was no offside then teams would just leave a player down field and hit long balls to him. In return, the defending team would station a couple of defenders to be close to him all the time. This would happen at both ends and lead to a very static game with lots of long hopeful balls.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,753,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
What a great way to take any ounce of excitement out of a game. Wait a wing is breaking ! Off side of course. Hell, if I were the defense I'd just stand right at the other teams goal all the time. We'd have 20 players packed in a foot wide area...Its like a game of cat and mouse, just put a darned line down and if the ball crosses it first its offside , if not its fair game. No wonder soccer scores are so low, nobody ever has a chance to make a run.

Wow, you could not make anymore naive of a statement if you tried.

What if we took away the offside rule in football? The receivers would just stand in the end zones and every play would consist of hail mary's.

The same thing would happen in soccer. The forwards would just stand by the goal and the ball would be kicked back and forth to the goals and the excitement of the game would be taken away.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Wow, you could not make anymore naive of a statement if you tried.

What if we took away the offside rule in football? The receivers would just stand in the end zones and every play would consist of hail mary's.

The same thing would happen in soccer. The forwards would just stand by the goal and the ball would be kicked back and forth to the goals and the excitement of the game would be taken away.
I did not say i wanted no offsides! Read the post..I would want a LINE drawn on the field so the offside is not dependent on where the defender stands rather dependant on a position in the field that is known to all players as it is in football and hockey..trust me, the "excitement" of the game has little to worry about as it currently stands ..I enjoy the game as is, but nil nils can be avoided by allowing teams to function more offensively..

Old 06-14-2010, 10:55 AM

The rule does not need to change at all. It is fine as it is. The best played games are the games in which there are only a couple of goals. I have seen some very exciting 0-0 draws in my life. The game isnt about scoring, it is about everything that happens in between.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,347,825 times
Quote:
I did not say i wanted no offsides! Read the post..I would want a LINE drawn on the field so the offside is not dependent on where the defender stands rather dependant on a position in the field that is known to all players as it is in football and hockey..trust me, the "excitement" of the game has little to worry about as it currently stands ..I enjoy the game as is, but nil nils can be avoided by allowing teams to function more offensively..
There have been numerous experiments and small changes to the offside rule over the years. The more radical experiments such as the one you are advocating have been tried but, generally, did not end up improving the game.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The rule does not need to change at all. It is fine as it is. The best played games are the games in which there are only a couple of goals. I have seen some very exciting 0-0 draws in my life. The game isnt about scoring, it is about everything that happens in between.
Yea...the offside in the Mexico game made alot of sense...ridiculous

Old 06-14-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
There have been numerous experiments and small changes to the offside rule over the years. The more radical experiments such as the one you are advocating have been tried but, generally, did not end up improving the game.
So its been considered at least. Well, I guess thats all I can ask. I just cant understand why you'd want so much official intervention in a game! I mean that call is not clear many times...so difficult to rule on the way it is. I don't get the allure to that at all.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
So its been considered at least. Well, I guess thats all I can ask. I just cant understand why you'd want so much official intervention in a game! I mean that call is not clear many times...so difficult to rule on the way it is. I don't get the allure to that at all.

You seem to fail to understand that without offside, the game is ruined. It would consist of nothing but cherry picking and the ball kicked from one end of the field to the other. The midfield would cease to exist.

The rule is easy. Extremely easy. It is also easy to rule on.

There isnt that much official intervention. Not more than any other game. There is just as much in any typical American sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or