Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:41 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,443,644 times

Advertisements

Ok, up front let me say I am just naturally curious and a relatively new football(soccer) fan, so please go easy on me here....

But I can not figure out why England plays as England and not the UK in the World Cup. My understanding is Scotland and Wales both have their own teams as well. I would think the UK would field a stronger, more competitive team if they played as a unified team drawing talent from all four nations instead of breaking down into their national/regional teams. Nationalism aside, would'nt Scotland and Wales prefer to win as Britains then lose as Scots & Welshmen? Has this ever been seriously considered?

Something tells me I am speaking heresy here, but I am genuinely curious. Any (non profane ) insights would be appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 05:47 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,444,920 times
I don't know the total answer but I found this interesting

Quote:
In international competitions, separate teams represent England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland in most team sports, as well as at the Commonwealth Games. (In sporting contexts, these teams can be referred to collectively as the Home Nations.) However, there are occasions where a single sports team represents the United Kingdom, including at the Olympics where the UK is represented by the Great Britain team.
from wiki

Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,014,649 times
I have often wondered the same thing and have no idea why... However, I think since England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have their own teams, it's just representative of how huge football (soccer) is in the UK and how proud each member of the UK is of their regional team...

I'd love to hear from somebody from the UK about this....

Old 06-14-2010, 06:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,610,280 times
Simple. It just goes down back to history.

I was talking to a Welsh guy once and he was whining about how the English destroyed his culture.

Same goes for the Scots and the Irish. Last thing they want is the game they love be identified under the British banner. That they all suck up to the UK is mere economics. They cannot survive on their own. That's the story behind Great Britain

Now an angry Uker is going to jump in and tell me how wrong I am LMAO.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM

14,250 posts, read 17,849,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
I have often wondered the same thing and have no idea why... However, I think since England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have their own teams, it's just representative of how huge football (soccer) is in the UK and how proud each member of the UK is of their regional team...

I'd love to hear from somebody from the UK about this....
I was born and grew up in Scotland. There are solid historical reasons why the "home countries" field their own teams despite the occasional call for a UK team. Essentially that is because football originated in the UK. This link may help:

International Football Association Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, emotionally, I support three national teams. The USA, which is my country of adoption, Scotland and whomever beats England. The idea of a UK team is preposterous and unthinkable to anyone outside of England.

In addition, a UK team would be dominated by England and you just know that Scots, Irish or Welsh players would not be treated equitably.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:59 PM

5,022 posts, read 7,431,150 times
To make matters even more confusing in cricket the England and Wales Cricket Boards compete together as one country! Scotland and Northern Ireland Compete by themselves as seperate nations.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 AM

12 posts, read 40,799 times
Never, No, not in a million years. I am English not UK`ish I support my country which is England,. The British Government have tried to take away our identity in every way they can, so this is way to show that we are still English or Scottish, Welsh or Irish.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,220,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stecuk View Post
Never, No, not in a million years. I am English not UK`ish I support my country which is England,. The British Government have tried to take away our identity in every way they can, so this is way to show that we are still English or Scottish, Welsh or Irish.
UK'ish.. you mean British right? We should play as one unified country because England, Scotland, and Wales are not technically countries. In the world cup we should field a Britsh team.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:05 PM

12 posts, read 40,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
UK'ish.. you mean British right? We should play as one unified country because England, Scotland, and Wales are not technically countries. In the world cup we should field a Britsh team.

Technically they are countries that make up the nation, this is exactly why we should field different sides as they will cease to exist as their own entities.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,954,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post

This is coming from an Englishman? All Englishman I know would kill someone if they had to play on the same side with Scottsman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer