U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:22 PM

364 posts, read 414,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengis View Post
his picks are available to see at the citydata tournament, he appears to be in last place.

**Offishul** City-Data World Cup Pick 'em

"safa upon arabia"
hahahahahahaha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 12:40 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,876,260 times
Had a meeting so I couldn't watch today...but make take vacation for the next match.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:07 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,987,311 times
Yep. I watch many of the games. But then I'm retired and my time is my own. Also, I live in Scotland and am married to a Scot who has been playing and following football practically since birth.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:40 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,655,321 times
i think america is awake or we should awake after today. we should get into "this soccer thing." its a great game, its fascinating, etc.

i've been watching football for awhile now and have been hoping that the u.s. team would have a good result for this world cup. we did well in the confederation cup.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:22 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,562,103 times
I was in Champs sports bar for lunch with my colleague to watch the England game. And there were a ton of folks following it, and it was encouraging.

This is good for America. NFL and basketball get old and boring It's time to compete at the world level

Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,531,214 times
I'm following the and cheering on the U.S. team... though I have watched other country's games.

Almost everyone I know is following the World Cup along with me

Old 06-18-2010, 05:47 PM

352 posts, read 475,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i think america is awake or we should awake after today. we should get into "this soccer thing." its a great game, its fascinating, etc.

i've been watching football for awhile now and have been hoping that the u.s. team would have a good result for this world cup. we did well in the confederation cup.
Same thing was said after the decent results in 2002.

You cant build a fascination around Landon Donovan though.....cant happen.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:37 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,139,586 times
I love fútbol its the only thing I will watch! Unfortunatley when Im working I dont have acesss to a tv so I miss matches. It sucks I will miss the Portugal vs. Brazil game Friday. That game will be good.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,843,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I love fútbol its the only thing I will watch! Unfortunatley when Im working I dont have acesss to a tv so I miss matches. It sucks I will miss the Portugal vs. Brazil game Friday. That game will be good.
It's a shame that Kaka will be suspended for this game thanks to a bogus red card!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:07 AM

61 posts, read 123,655 times
I'm not American (though I have lived here for over 10 years) so I will discount myself from this conversation as I already love the game.

As an observation though, most of the Americans I work with are following the games and rooting for the USA. A few have the 'anti-American' attitude that was touched on earlier and a few were already hardcore fans way before the tournament started. The majority have said they love the World Cup but I feel are unlikely to follow the sport after July 11th.

As an outisider, I feel the sport has grown in leaps and bounds since I arrived here in the late 90's and is certainly gowing a niche in the American sporting psyche although I highly doubt it will ever rival baseball or the NFL. It can compete with the NHL and perhaps even the NBA down the road though .. especially if the USMNT does well in these global tournaments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or