U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 10:08 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,285,808 times

Advertisements

I really started following the sport after watching the Copa America a few years ago. Then I started watching EPL games and got hooked. It is a wonderful game. This is the first WC I have really payed attention to. I am enjoying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,986,361 times
In the US I don't think I even knew what the World Cup was. Wasn't big on sports anyway except when my local teams were in the World Series or NBA championships. Then I moved to Scotland in 2000 and learned that it's not a game that's just for kids and soccer moms! Watched World Cup in 2002 and learned the reason that Scots wore Brazil shirts when they played England. Now I'm hooked, it's a great game!

Old 06-24-2010, 12:05 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,138,877 times
Oh yeah Im watching. That Sovenia vs. Italy game was great!! I cant wait for the Portugal vs. Brazil game tomorrow. That will be a good game.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:17 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,188,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
I'd be interested to find out how much streaming online is going on on ESPN3, since a lot of people I know are "working" at the time of the matches.
ha. i took the day off for the US/Algeria game and went out to meet a friend in the suburbs to watch the game out there. At the half (11am) the bar I was in filled up with people in office attire taking an "early lunch" and this was out in the suburbs.

People I know have brought their TVs into work and set them up with rabbit ears and digital converters and are watching the games in HD on Univision.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,841,166 times

YouTube - The World's Reaction to Landon Donovan's Game Winning Goal

Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,088,754 times
Heck ya, have been doing so for the last 20 years .

Old 06-26-2010, 04:43 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,359,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
watching this brought a tear to my eye!
Let's hope and pray that today goes well!

Old 06-26-2010, 08:39 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,790,623 times
I am following the World Cup. However, every USA game until today (where we lost ) I've been preoccupied with work. This is sort of important because of flight test of a new airplane that cost billions to develop, so I can't just say "no" ... even though I probably could have.

I was heartbroken the US lost, because as an American, I have interest in the game.

To say that Americans are not interested in soccer is ridiculous and ignorant, typical of outsiders and foreigners and ignorant Americans about how well loved this game is in the US. Little league soccer has more children participating than baseball or football. The US has a major league soccer club that hosts international games frequently. US citizens play in European leagues (and I do believe that many English football clubs have Americans as their goalkeepers ).

So, sorry, the US isn't ignorant of the game. Is it as popular among the rank and file as other sports, like football, baseball, or basketball? No. But that's because we haven't had a passion for the game for hundreds of years. In fact, early on, the game was vilified because it was "British" and we had to be different.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
We had 12,000 at a watch party in Kansas City that was shown in the ESPN broadcast.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I am following the World Cup. However, every USA game until today (where we lost ) I've been preoccupied with work. This is sort of important because of flight test of a new airplane that cost billions to develop, so I can't just say "no" ... even though I probably could have.

I was heartbroken the US lost, because as an American, I have interest in the game.

To say that Americans are not interested in soccer is ridiculous and ignorant, typical of outsiders and foreigners and ignorant Americans about how well loved this game is in the US. Little league soccer has more children participating than baseball or football. The US has a major league soccer club that hosts international games frequently. US citizens play in European leagues (and I do believe that many English football clubs have Americans as their goalkeepers ).

So, sorry, the US isn't ignorant of the game. Is it as popular among the rank and file as other sports, like football, baseball, or basketball? No. But that's because we haven't had a passion for the game for hundreds of years. In fact, early on, the game was vilified because it was "British" and we had to be different.
Easy killer. The key is keeping kids interested in high school/college and getting joe blow interested in watching it on TV. That's where the huge dropoff in interest occurs.

Also to play devils advocate, could your perception be skewed from being in the urban pacific NW? I hear that's a strong soccer area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or