U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,189,799 times

Advertisements

So here we are again. We start out with 18 of 32 teams from Europe or "El Cono" (the "cone" of southern South America).

The field narrows to 16 and 12 of the teams are the usual suspects. The field narrows to 8 and we're down to 1 african team. As the field narrows to 4 the most likely outcome is that we'll have 2 south american teams facing off against 2 european teams.

Only twice has a team outside of UEFA or CONMEBOL ever placed in the top 4. South Korea placed 4th in 2002 and then you have to go back to 1930 when the USA placed 3rd.

Just some food for thought as Europeans and S. Americans argue that this is "the world's game."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,529,289 times
I'm hardly what anyone could call a soccer fan. But the other day, I found myself watching Spain vs. Portugal, and something about the commentary jumped right off the TV screen into my face. It's part of the problem with coverage in this country, I think. To set the stage...

Spain moves the ball into Portugal's zone. One player slips behind the Portuguese defense, and a teammate passes to him. He takes a shot, which the Portuguese goalkeeper can't quite get a handle on. The ball bounces back, right at the Spanish player. He's got the goalkeeper on the ground, nothing between him and that huge, gaping goal. All it takes is a little bloop over the outstretched arms of the goalkeeper, and just like that, Spain 1, Portugal 0.

Now for that commentary (and I need someone to tell me why the commentators can't be anything but British): the guy intones that it was only the second goal Portugal has allowed in 13 international competitions--and it took a marksman to get it.

Excuse me; your grandmother could have scored that goal. The goalkeeper was literally on his knees; all anyone had to do was lift the ball over him. Do these announcers honestly think that everyone in the United States is so uninformed, we couldn't see what had happened? (He was certainly ignorant of the fact that Americans do take an interest in the NFL. If a wide receiver slips behind the defense and the quarterback hits him with a pass, did it take a "marksman" to assure a touchdown?)

Maybe we'd respond better to soccer with a little less condescension. Just a thought.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:53 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,747,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Excuse me; your grandmother could have scored that goal. The goalkeeper was literally on his knees; all anyone had to do was lift the ball over him. Do these announcers honestly think that everyone in the United States is so uninformed, we couldn't see what had happened? (He was certainly ignorant of the fact that Americans do take an interest in the NFL. If a wide receiver slips behind the defense and the quarterback hits him with a pass, did it take a "marksman" to assure a touchdown?)

I think you underestimate the difficulty of placing that shot the way he did. I guarantee you wouldnt of hit that shot.

No, it doesnt take a marksman but it wasnt a gimme like you infer that it was.

I've seen NFL QBs miss wide open receivers from 10 yards a way a thousand times.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,199,150 times
Quote:
I'm hardly what anyone could call a soccer fan. But the other day, I found myself watching Spain vs. Portugal, and something about the commentary jumped right off the TV screen into my face. It's part of the problem with coverage in this country, I think. To set the stage...

Spain moves the ball into Portugal's zone. One player slips behind the Portuguese defense, and a teammate passes to him. He takes a shot, which the Portuguese goalkeeper can't quite get a handle on. The ball bounces back, right at the Spanish player. He's got the goalkeeper on the ground, nothing between him and that huge, gaping goal. All it takes is a little bloop over the outstretched arms of the goalkeeper, and just like that, Spain 1, Portugal 0.

Now for that commentary (and I need someone to tell me why the commentators can't be anything but British): the guy intones that it was only the second goal Portugal has allowed in 13 international competitions--and it took a marksman to get it.

Maybe we'd respond better to soccer with a little less condescension. Just a thought.
Villa, the guy that scored the goal is one of the most underrated soccer players. It takes a lot of concentration and excellent reflexes (you have a bunch of people(defenders) going for the same ball, including the goalkeeper who can use his hands. And why do you think the goalkeeper was on his knees and couldn't keep the ball? Because it was a good strong shot done by the same player Villa.

This is not just a random goal he scored, the guy has scored several times in this world cup and the previous one, which is not an easy thing to do. So far Villa is one of the best, if not the best player I have seen this world cup. I think he's total is 7 for both world cups so far.

I honestly think you still need to watch more matches, also it helps to watch it live up close, it's not as easy as it seems.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:06 AM

364 posts, read 414,308 times
Quote:

Fred314X, Since you're not a soccer fan, try not to jump to conclusions. You're totally misunderstanding the commentary. There is no condescension. Villa is an outstanding player, hence being deemed a "marksman." Portugal hadn't allowed a goal in the WC, including the game against Brazil (who is pretty good ). Since they've been so tough on defense and Villa happened to be the one who broke through, there you go.

I think the commentary (except John Harkes' - American) has been great. Obviously the ESPN coverage must be in english, and who better than those covering the game for so long....especially with the witty expressions.

I mean come on, have you forgotten some of the ridiculous commentary we have to sit through with the likes of Tim McCarver? Or listening to CBS fall all over themselves when Tiger misses a par putt? Be cause HE HATES to make a bogey. (as if no one else does) We have plenty of condescension in our announcers to be pointing any fingers.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,332,749 times
Quote:

Relax, its nothing personal or anti-American. IMHO, most British commentators are idiots with verbal diarrhea and that goes for just about every game they cover, World Cup or not. The French are just as bad. Sometimes the professional footballer or coach who are assisting makes it worth listening to but not always .... especially if it is the idiot Lawrenson assisting.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,332,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Villa, the guy that scored the goal is one of the most underrated soccer players. It takes a lot of concentration and excellent reflexes (you have a bunch of people(defenders) going for the same ball, including the goalkeeper who can use his hands. And why do you think the goalkeeper was on his knees and couldn't keep the ball? Because it was a good strong shot done by the same player Villa.

This is not just a random goal he scored, the guy has scored several times in this world cup and the previous one, which is not an easy thing to do. So far Villa is one of the best, if not the best player I have seen this world cup. I think he's total is 7 for both world cups so far.

I honestly think you still need to watch more matches, also it helps to watch it live up close, it's not as easy as it seems.
Which, of course, is why he is heading to Barcelona.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:18 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,360,249 times
Quote:

I don't know, I thought that goal was impressive! Have you played alot of soccer? I think that it's harder than it looks! All it took for me was to go out and try to play the game to stop being so critical. It takes quick thinking, quick reflexes and composure to actually finish and get the ball in the net. I'm sorry, but I was actually impressed.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:09 PM

631 posts, read 827,816 times
Kudos to all Americans who love football (or as you call it soccer). It's way more exciting than American football.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:34 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,360,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Kudos to all Americans who love football (or as you call it soccer). It's way more exciting than American football.
As an American, I do believe soccer is the superior sport.I believe it takes more skill, talent, athleticism, creativity, and endurance to play soccer.Nothing special about a 300 lb guy crashing into someone to block them.
Soccer is more fun to watch also.It's more exciting,the guys are in way better shape and better looking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or