U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:34 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,441,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
France were terrible. They didn't play as a team and, quite honestly, they didn't look interested. Also, Domenech made a big mistake leaving Benzema out imho.
It's exactly that.These players have foreign origins and don't like this country (some of them refuse to sing the french national anthem), it's a problem too.
France 1998, come back !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 03:48 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,582,109 times
Quote:
A "lesser" team deservedly beats a "superior" team and you think that is boring

That is precisely one of the things that makes the World Cup so interesting. But you would probably prefer to limit the tournament to just 8 teams who you think deserve to be there.
It's all about a competitive world cup at the world's biggest stage. This is a four year event and is the WORLD CUP

I'll be too bummed to see minnows getting drubbed coz the big teams had a day off in the initial stages of the tournament.

That makes it a fangless second round. They are already saying this is the most boring world cup already. And I have to agree and the stage is being set for a boring knockout stage

Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
It's exactly that.These players have foreign origins and don't like this country (some of them refuse to sing the french national anthem), it's a problem too.
France 1998, come back !
I think that's a huge problem outside the football field too. When they sing the Marseillaise in Arabic some day, I hope some aging Frenchmen still speak French

Old 06-17-2010, 04:14 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,345,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
It's all about a competitive world cup at the world's biggest stage. This is a four year event and is the WORLD CUP

I'll be too bummed to see minnows getting drubbed coz the big teams had a day off in the initial stages of the tournament.

That makes it a fangless second round. They are already saying this is the most boring world cup already. And I have to agree and the stage is being set for a boring knockout stage
One of the reasons that soccer is so popular around the world is that, on their day, just about any team can beat any other. If it were all a foregone conclusion then it wouldn't be interesting.

And France have had two days off. They do not deserve to go through.

Mexico has some very good players as do Uruguay. Hernandez, who scored the first goal for Mexico will be at Manchester Utd. next year. Forlan is as good a player as any Argentina can field. And Argentina, while they have a great attack, are suspect in defence. There is nothing predetermined about Argentina beating Mexico or Uruguay.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:20 PM

4,023 posts, read 6,441,000 times
Quote:
I think that's a huge problem outside the football field too. When they sing the Marseillaise in Arabic some day, I hope some aging Frenchmen still speak French
Ahaha don't worry for that, the french language isn't in danger ^^
We have immigrants but it's not like the USA, it's much more low

Old 06-17-2010, 04:46 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,964,297 times
Quote:
As someone once said, there are lies, damned lies and statistics. Fact is, the French rarely troubled the Mexican goalkeeper. That is one of the reasons they replaced Anelka at half-time. France had a decent amount of possession but Mexico always looked dangerous even before they scored.
I agree with you about the "dangerous" part. I started watching with the Portugal/Cote Ivoire game, but the game today was great. Mexico totally came out fighting. They did look dangerous, and I guess I learned not to underestimate them.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:05 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,062,428 times
Quote:
So France will crash out and one of these stupid teams will face Argentina and get a 0-5 drubbing

This is what makes the world cup boring. One, it presents Arg with no real challenge, two, it takes the spice out of the next stage

France and Italy are those slow starter teams that get good in the second stage.
its sport .... to me thats what makes it exciting & interesting ... you just never know what might happen

Old 06-17-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
its sport .... to me thats what makes it exciting & interesting ... you just never know what might happen
Yeah, but........ I guarantee you that I will be sitting in a match where Argentina totally will walk all over a pack of minnows. At least I get watch Maradona jumping happily

Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 AM

983 posts, read 1,367,337 times
Quote:
So France will crash out and one of these stupid teams will face Argentina and get a 0-5 drubbing

This is what makes the world cup boring. One, it presents Arg with no real challenge, two, it takes the spice out of the next stage

France and Italy are those slow starter teams that get good in the second stage.
You probably want to check the Argentina vs Mexico match from Germany 2006. Argentina won on extra time with a magic goal from Maxi Rodriguez, when Mexico was closer to scoring than them. Or the qualifying rounds from South America, where Argentina had no day in the park vs Uruguay.

I think you are mistaking Mexico and Uruguay with the likes of Saudi Arabia, Angola, Honduras or Australia.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM

3,162 posts, read 10,489,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
You probably want to check the Argentina vs Mexico match from Germany 2006. Argentina won on extra time with a magic goal from Maxi Rodriguez, when Mexico was closer to scoring than them. Or the qualifying rounds from South America, where Argentina had no day in the park vs Uruguay.

I think you are mistaking Mexico and Uruguay with the likes of Saudi Arabia, Angola, Honduras or Australia.
Exactly Mexico was the champion of the sub17 world cup beating Brazil 3 - 0

YouTube - mexico 3-0 brasil

This generation of players (Chicharito, Giovanni, etc) did it so Argentina better be careful.

Mexico has beaten Brazil 3 - 1 in the Copa America also

YouTube - Goles Mexico Brasil Copa America 2007
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer