U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 PM

21,327 posts, read 21,900,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Thank you. I was wondering what other sport finished in ties. The NFL finishing in a tie is just as much bulls--t as soccer. Freaking ping-pong shouldn't even finish in a tie.
Think of a tie as kissing your sister KD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM

544 posts, read 986,530 times
A draw is also anathema to my American sensibilities, but I love the game, and the skill of the players enough to overlook it. If you look at any sport, I'm sure there are things that could be considered annoying.

Nevertheless, if there's anything that I would change about soccer, it would be the flopping and histrionics of certain players and teams. This cup seemed to be doing pretty well on that point until today.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:09 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,796,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It is also about tactics. In many situations, a team will be playing for a tie such as in a European away match. The objective is to put the team in a strong position for the home tie. Supporters of teams understand this and will often leave happy with a tie. Like all sports, soccer has its subtleties and the tie is one of them.
Thank you!

For example - when we went up against England, the USA side was very happy with the 1:1 draw against a team that is widely perceived as fearsome (perception being what it is). In a way, I feel if we had kept playing, we might have lost.

I'd also be interesting to see how the draw match would be done away with. Penalty kicks? Keep going until one side or the other scores? Play for a set amount of time? Flipping a coin?

In a way, even though I am an American, I am completely comfortable with the rules of the game, given that they're the rules and I can't really offer a better system, given that "better" would be merely opinion and without merit otherwise.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,791,670 times
As an American, I have been brought up with wins and losses in sports. It is a rare feat to see a tie and a downright mind-boggler. The rest of the world is used to draws/ties.

As for changes in soccer, how about allowing fighting (within a limit like hockey), doing away with offsides, shrinking the field, etc. Now THEN I would watch every match. I know soccer purists would hate it, but if you were not a fan like me, it would be awesome!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,169,448 times
Quote:
As an American, I have been brought up with wins and losses in sports. It is a rare feat to see a tie and a downright mind-boggler. The rest of the world is used to draws/ties.

As for changes in soccer, how about allowing fighting (within a limit like hockey), doing away with offsides, shrinking the field, etc. Now THEN I would watch every match. I know soccer purists would hate it, but if you were not a fan like me, it would be awesome!!!
If you're not a fan why the hell are you posting in the soccer forum?

Old 06-21-2010, 05:06 AM

22 posts, read 40,172 times
OK. First: I am Slovenian.

It was a very good first half for Slovenia. And a very bad second half for Slovenia. Thanks God that the ref has saw something. I have checked the video several times and I do not know what he saw. But this is football (soccer). Slovenia had in past similar events. There was a goal with Italy that the ref did not see. With technical support (video replay or radar systems) would be easier.

USA soccer team is a "B" team, Slovenia is "C" or maybe even a "D". So the problem is not the ref but the fact that USA played badly.

Normally the referees are more "friendly" with bigger teams in this case USA. And there were some occasion in which this is visible.

USA has to win with Algeria nothing else.

Bye

Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,804,137 times
Looks like the ref is getting the boot. FIFA drops referee after dropped call - International Football - Yahoo! Sports (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/fifa-drops-referee-after-dropped-call--fbintl_ro-fifaref062110.html - broken link)

Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,791,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
If you're not a fan why the hell are you posting in the soccer forum?
I bet you voted for Alvin Greene didn't you?

I said in another thread that I can stand soccer. The ties/draws on the other hand...

Old 06-21-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I bet you voted for Alvin Greene didn't you?

I said in another thread that I can stand soccer. The ties/draws on the other hand...

"but if you were not a fan like me"

Well if you're not a fan you must be really bored to be posting on here. I like how ties exist in non-knockout rounds. It's like real life when there's not always clear winners and losers. It essentially allows more outcomes besides win/loss that can come from a game which I find interesting. Take England vs USA-while the draw wasn't nearly as bad as a loss for England, it was a huge letdown for them. I think giving the players a full 90 min. is good enough and would rather it be decided from skill and heart during regulation than a BS shootout or endless overtime.

Haha nope believe it or not you can be a soccer fan without being a democrat. Don't you have a still to attend to? Can't be producing quality moonshine with all this time dilly-dallying!

Last edited by destinedtodave; 06-21-2010 at 10:10 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Looks like the ref is getting the boot. FIFA drops referee after dropped call - International Football - Yahoo! Sports (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/fifa-drops-referee-after-dropped-call--fbintl_ro-fifaref062110.html - broken link)
Great news Of course after they let the hack ref today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or