Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:41 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
It would have meant the better team won.
If you don't know about something, you can save yourself from looking ignorant by not trying to make a point. Finishing a tie game with PKs is almost the same thing as flipping a coin. PKs are 99% luck. Ties are an important part of soccer.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Ties are an important part of soccer.

Then by all means, let's have the WC title game finish in a tie. Both teams can SHARE the trophy.

I'm sorry, but you will NEVER be able to convince me that a tie is an acceptable finish to ANY sport, so don't waste your keystrokes. Is there any other sport that a tie is an acceptable finish? I think even the NHL got rid of ties. Hell, I think Tiddlywinks has a clear winner. I don't remember playing UNO to a tie. Connect Four may end in a tie, I am not sure.

You don't want to have the match go to PK's, PLAY BETTER DURING REGULATION!!! There has to be a winner and loser in sport. That's it.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
That same ref. could have given a red card for the high elbow during the fifth minute in the game. He totally missed that and the elbow caused one of their players to be brought off the pitch.

Frequently in soccer, referees who miss a call or don't make the right one and know it will keep it in their minds and wait for an opportunity for enacting "karma calls." These karma calls aren't necessarily talked about, but for someone who's watched many soccer games worldwide, it does exist.

So, for people who like to trash that ref., remember that he very well could have called a red card and forced the US to play a strong team one man down for 85 minutes! That would have almost surely resulted in a US loss. So, by robbing the US of the third goal, so late in the game, he effectively equalized the result of not giving a red card early on. Given that the US almost surely would have lost if a man down for 85 minutes, I think it was a fair call.

It's up to the US team to prove they can win. Drawing won't do it. And they do have to realize that some on the world stage don't want to see the US have a strong team and thus will make calls biased against them, so that should just drive them to be better and exceed expectations.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:03 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Quote:
Then by all means, let's have the WC title game finish in a tie. Both teams can SHARE the trophy.

I'm sorry, but you will NEVER be able to convince me that a tie is an acceptable finish to ANY sport, so don't waste your keystrokes. Is there any other sport that a tie is an acceptable finish? I think even the NHL got rid of ties. Hell, I think Tiddlywinks has a clear winner. I don't remember playing UNO to a tie. Connect Four may end in a tie, I am not sure.

You don't want to have the match go to PK's, PLAY BETTER DURING REGULATION!!! There has to be a winner and loser in sport. That's it.
Let's see you run around for 90 minutes, or any other sportsperson run around for 90 minutes, and claim that a draw isn't an acceptable result. American football has fits and starts. Baseball's the same. Basketball's the only sport that maybe has constant exercise that doesn't have ties.

It sure is easy to criticize from your couch, isn't it?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Let's see you run around for 90 minutes, or any other sportsperson run around for 90 minutes, and claim that a draw isn't an acceptable result. American football has fits and starts. Baseball's the same. Basketball's the only sport that maybe has constant exercise that doesn't have ties.

It sure is easy to criticize from your couch, isn't it?

Running around and finishing in a tie is tantamount to never playing the game to begin with.

BTW, I was trying to compare soccer to other sports that finish in a tie (if there are any), not the athleticism of each sport. I know soccer is an athletic sport.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:23 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,269 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but you will NEVER be able to convince me that a tie is an acceptable finish to ANY sport, so don't waste your keystrokes. Is there any other sport that a tie is an acceptable finish?
NFL has tie games.

Eagles tie Bengals 13-13 - Bleeding Green Nation

Old 06-20-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Thank you. I was wondering what other sport finished in ties. The NFL finishing in a tie is just as much bulls--t as soccer. Freaking ping-pong shouldn't even finish in a tie.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:54 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
The NFL finishing in a tie is just as much bulls--t as soccer.
Not exactly. As I stated previously, you get a point in the standings for a tie (3 points for a win). In the NFL the standings are determined by winning percentage, not on a point system like you see in soccer and hockey. You're sorta mixing apples and oranges.

Once we get to the Round of 16, there will be no more ties. Regulation draws will go to 30 minutes of added time, then penalty kicks if the tie isn't broken in the extra time. For those who think winning on PKs is stupid, it should be noted that hockey still has shootouts.

Now, if you still think draws and PKs are stupid, consider the knockout stages of the UEFA Champions League and Europa League - you play a home-and-home series against your opponent, the winner advancing on goal aggregate. If the two clubs are tied on aggregate, the first tiebreaker is away goals. Now that's crazy!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM

How about doing away with PK's and ties and just keep playing until a goal is scored (sudden death)?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:20 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
How about doing away with PK's and ties and just keep playing until a goal is scored (sudden death)?
It is also about tactics. In many situations, a team will be playing for a tie such as in a European away match. The objective is to put the team in a strong position for the home tie. Supporters of teams understand this and will often leave happy with a tie. Like all sports, soccer has its subtleties and the tie is one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer