U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
580 posts, read 862,301 times
Reputation: 892

Advertisements

Okay, I have to say it, becasue it's not the first time it happens, but the two ESPN commentators really seem to have something personal with Italy.
Their commentary is a continuous trashing (not just due to poor playing by the Azzurri) and we saw that against Paraguay and today against New Zealand.

I honestly having sen the Italian players diving, trying to get PKs or anything, although I concede we got lucky on the penalty kick, but it wasn't a dive by De Rossi. The commentators actually were accusing the Italian players of faking ("pathetic" they call it) when a player went down at midfield after a fortuitous elbow on the face. Why would a team waste time faking at midifeld or staying down when they are in a desperate hurry to score? It's not like Italy was winning and needed to waste time.

However when some New Zealand players took a couple of minutes laying down especially toward the end of the game, the commentators had nothing to say, zero.

The same thing happened during the game with Paraguay. Honestly I haven't seen Italy diving or doing anything wrong (or right! lol) during this World Cup. Overall there has not been much diving and faking in general, so far.

It's really disgusting the way ESPN comments on the Italy's games, blatantly against no matter what. If an Italian player commits a foul, it's "very late..got lucky did not get a yellow card". But the same exact foul one minute later committed by the opponent, it's commented with "well, De Rossi was ready to go down since he touched the ball....this is ridicolous..." etc..

I am not defending Italy, there is nothing to defend. But this ESPN crew is totally unprofessional and I haven't seen a similar attitude from them toward any other team.

Plus, to be honest, this Italian team is so clueless, empty minded that they can't dive even if they wanted...they can't think that far. Which is what happens when a country produces players like Cassano, Miccoli, Balotelli, Foglia, and others and all these players can do is watch the World Cup from their home because they did not kiss enough Mr. Lippi's behind.

Please ESPN, have mercy. Don't you think Italian fans are enduring enough watching their team NOT playing soccer? We are suffering enough thanks to frigging god-Lippi, and don't need your unbalanced, uncalled for and unprofessional commentary to get us upset. Lately when Italy plays, we are already upset...since the first whistle that starts the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: TX
740 posts, read 1,842,401 times
Reputation: 295
The ESPN commentators also stated that the New Zealand goal was (uncalled) offside.

I don't sense the anti-Italy sentiments, but then again I'm not Italian. On the whole, the commentators in this WC are a much better class in quality and depth than the half-dumb, mostly shallow lots that called Germany '06.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 11:16 AM
 
3,912 posts, read 4,854,553 times
Reputation: 1825
It was pathetic. Italian version of soccer is painful to watch. They were freaking laying on the ground after making routine headers. Everytime NZ got the ball some Italian would fall to the ground and start roling around on the ground. They got all the calls today. That type of play is bad for the game.


FWIW I agree, ESPN sucks monkey balls at most everything they try to cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Miami / Florida / U.S.A.
684 posts, read 1,293,552 times
Reputation: 470
Italy wont qualify to the NeXT round. Period.

They can fake and stay on the ground and act like little girls. The refs wont issue any yellow red/cards to the other team because italy already gained a reputation of liars/fakers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 11:40 AM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
580 posts, read 862,301 times
Reputation: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
It was pathetic. Italian version of soccer is painful to watch. They were freaking laying on the ground after making routine headers. Everytime NZ got the ball some Italian would fall to the ground and start roling around on the ground. They got all the calls today. That type of play is bad for the game.


FWIW I agree, ESPN sucks monkey balls at most everything they try to cover.
I think many here don't follow football and talk by "stereotypes". Italy became famous as a defensive team and because they had in the past 2 or 3 games where they were given undeserved penaty kicks, now they are paying forever. Honestly, in more recent history of the WC Italy got more penalised than helped by refs.

Now, agree on the fact that Italy's playing sucks, unfortunately all the best players have been left home and we can only wait for the end of the WC and get rid of Lippi.

I don't know what game you watched though when you say Italian players were rolling on the ground....
First of all, New Zealand players (who by the way totally deserved the good result) used thier elbows a bit too much. If an Italian players would have done that (De Rossi vs. USA...remember?) the commetns would have been much difference, probably calling for an immediate red cards, talking about shameful fouls etc.. When the Italian players are on the receiving end, instead..they are faking.

Anyway, this is one of those "lost causes". Honestly whoever says that Italians (or New Zealanders) were diving today either doesn't know much about football or has some kind of prejudice that tells him that if a player is on the ground with an Italian little flag on his jersey, he must be faking.

Plus, a little common sense would help. Italy had zero interest in wasting time by staying down; they had the pressure to win this game, they knew what kind of reaction a result like this would have cause back home (and it started already..I have been reading Italian newspapers and forum..they are calling for Lippi's head BEFORE the game vs. Slovakia).

Well, just made my comment. Doesn't matter much; the main thing is Italy has no play and zero idea (of course, when your midfield is Marchisio-De Rossi-Montolivo-Pepe), Lippi called a bunch of players who can't even start in their clubs, and players (Gattuso-Camoranesi) who were done 3 years ago.

In another forum, other Euro fans were asking Italians if it helps morally that France is also sucking and on the verge of being ousted (old rivalry stuff).
Mmmm, nope, it really doesn't help any.
Guess I am going to be left with my other team, the USA, who should be able to at least move to the next round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Chino Hills, Ca
47 posts, read 128,779 times
Reputation: 30
hmm.. maybe because new zealand,australia,usa,england they are coalition..

don't mind about the commentary

Forza Inter hehee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 PM
 
Location: NJ
854 posts, read 2,528,022 times
Reputation: 500
italy can't win without diving. they did it today just like they did in 2006 against australia. even six years ago in 2004 everybody knew it already:


YouTube - Soccer - Italian tactics for Euro 2004

they can't win without cheating. maybe they should consider joining the italian diving team at the summer olympics, pretty sure they'd win every medal possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Midwestern Dystopia
2,372 posts, read 3,059,725 times
Reputation: 2962
because they dive all the time. It's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 07:50 PM
 
55 posts, read 54,663 times
Reputation: 24
why simple everybody hates winners.germany is hated too by english as well.english have inferiority issue with germany but mostly italy,i don't know why.winners have no problem with winners you don't hear brazil bashing italy or italy bashing brazil.english have only one way to putt down italy and that is by talking crap about them.if you watch ticket to africa the english pundits are always mentioning english based players that play for other teams how good they are.this inferiority goes even deper then national team.they are just afraid of italian football and prerstige that it has over english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 08:21 PM
 
14,790 posts, read 14,053,165 times
Reputation: 20500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
I think many here don't follow football and talk by "stereotypes". Italy became famous as a defensive team and because they had in the past 2 or 3 games where they were given undeserved penaty kicks, now they are paying forever. Honestly, in more recent history of the WC Italy got more penalised than helped by refs.
I don't think the Italians have done themselves any favours. They have this reptuation for a reason, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
Now, agree on the fact that Italy's playing sucks, unfortunately all the best players have been left home and we can only wait for the end of the WC and get rid of Lippi.

I don't know what game you watched though when you say Italian players were rolling on the ground....
First of all, New Zealand players (who by the way totally deserved the good result) used thier elbows a bit too much. If an Italian players would have done that (De Rossi vs. USA...remember?) the commetns would have been much difference, probably calling for an immediate red cards, talking about shameful fouls etc.. When the Italian players are on the receiving end, instead..they are faking.

Anyway, this is one of those "lost causes". Honestly whoever says that Italians (or New Zealanders) were diving today either doesn't know much about football or has some kind of prejudice that tells him that if a player is on the ground with an Italian little flag on his jersey, he must be faking.

Plus, a little common sense would help. Italy had zero interest in wasting time by staying down; they had the pressure to win this game, they knew what kind of reaction a result like this would have cause back home (and it started already..I have been reading Italian newspapers and forum..they are calling for Lippi's head BEFORE the game vs. Slovakia).

Well, just made my comment. Doesn't matter much; the main thing is Italy has no play and zero idea (of course, when your midfield is Marchisio-De Rossi-Montolivo-Pepe), Lippi called a bunch of players who can't even start in their clubs, and players (Gattuso-Camoranesi) who were done 3 years ago.

In another forum, other Euro fans were asking Italians if it helps morally that France is also sucking and on the verge of being ousted (old rivalry stuff).
Mmmm, nope, it really doesn't help any.
Guess I am going to be left with my other team, the USA, who should be able to at least move to the next round.

The goal scored from penalty .... doesn't look like it should have been paid. I've only seen it on PC and am yet to see a replay of the game - however ..... it doesn't appear that much contact was made.

When these decisions are made - they are crucial, so I can understand the fustration of the NZ's.... why no video referee? Time isn't much of a factor in soccer, as the players waste a lot of time rolling around on the floor like they've been shot (not only Italians, many sides do this, I think the Brazil game had a few instances? ).

As an Australian-Italian, Italy is my second side & I want them to do well, but they do need to get this out of their game.

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 06-20-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top