Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 09:46 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe_ramone View Post
yeah ok,but point 2,not everybody in ireland and australia calls it soccer
thank you all
What is your point, exactly? American call it soccer. Englishmen used to call it soccer and football, now they call it just football. These are facts. So what? It's still a great game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 02:02 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe_ramone View Post
yeah ok,but point 2,not everybody in ireland and australia calls it soccer
thank you all
this is true.

but really, who gives a $hit what different countries call it?

Old 06-24-2010, 04:30 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Growing up in Scotland we only ever called it "football" ... or rather "fitba".
And my dh claims that growing up Glesga he started playing fitba as soon as he could walk. I don't doubt him either.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
And my dh claims that growing up Glesga he started playing fitba as soon as he could walk. I don't doubt him either.
Almost certainly true. Glasgow is a city of apartments (flats). We didn't have houses with yards (gardens). So all the kids played in the street or in the back lane and fitba was one of the games of choice. Amazingly, many of the publlc parks did not allow ball games and we would get chased by the "parkies".

Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Almost certainly true. Glasgow is a city of apartments (flats). We didn't have houses with yards (gardens). So all the kids played in the street or in the back lane and fitba was one of the games of choice. Amazingly, many of the publlc parks did not allow ball games and we would get chased by the "parkies".
That's what he said - they played in the street, all day long until it was too dark to see.

I see you're bilingual.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
That's what he said - they played in the street, all day long until it was too dark to see.

I see you're bilingual.
And, if we didn't have a ball, we played "kick the can"

Old 06-24-2010, 10:47 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Americans...and only Americans play football. THE WORLD PLAYS SOCCER. Nuff said
Not quite true about Americans only playing "American Football", but that's besides the point. The world plays True Football, which we call soccer. It's a futile attempt to validate who calls what, what. It's a great game, American Football is a good one too. It really doesn't matter if we call it soccer in the US, and the world calls it Football. We always know which sport is being discussed at the time of conversation. It's just a matter of being informed and having a global perspective when talking to people who are not American, and people who like what we call Soccer, and what the world calls Football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Says you; the NFL is by far the most watched and popular sport in the United States. NASCAR may have more butts in seats, but anyone in the US can tell you that the NFL is the most popular sport.
Yes, only in the US. But there is a world outside the US. Maybe some people should travel more and open their minds. There is a world outside these borders, you know?

The most spectated sports in the World are: Football/Soccer, Basketball and then Ice Hockey.

American Football (NFL) doesn't and can't even compete on these levels. In the US alone, the entire population doesn't even watch the NFL games, so you have a long road ahead of you proving its popularity in the world. AGAIN, THERE IS WORLD OUTSIDE THE USA. OPEN YOUR MIND!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost
I could care less about how the name of American Football was derived or how it "offends" a bunch of panty waisted soccer players and their fans. Get over it. Again, it is what it is. We can name our sports whatever we feel like naming them.
Take it easy with the arrogance, dude. You don't like the sport, fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost
The game is what it is, and it is the most exciting game in the world. THIS is the NFL.
Ignorance at its finest . It's the most exciting game to you. Stop bumping your chest like Donkey Kong. You sound uninformed. You like American Football, cool. So do I, but to act like a prima donna over it makes YOU look like the panty waisted pansy. Get over yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Soccer is BOOORING. Live with that. It's a reality. The so called "sport" is like watching ants parade around a field with vuvaldas going off constantly. This is big in third world countries though, because the "sport" of soccer requires no money in which to invest. A dozen t-shirts, four garbage piles (two for each team to define their goals), and HEY! YOU GOT YOURSELF A GAME!!!!!

The "sport" is fine, lol. I'm sure it's exiting as all get out... Oh, I meant "exciting."
Again, you must love the taste of toes. You keep putting your feet in your mouth. Your statements are beyond ignorant and uninformed. It's idiots like you that gives American Football fans a bad name. Too boastful, and loud mouthed. I'd love to see you say that at a Soccer/Football game in England. The young hooligans would club you in a minute. I'd love to see you shredded in pieces. You'd deserve it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
no, that is your opinion.

The rest of the world is soccer mad. It IS the world game. Don't be so insular!

You do know that the Vuvuzela's aren't part of the standard soccer culture, right?

you judge the excitment of a sport by how much it costs to play?
Again, he doesn't sound too informed. Just another bitter person, who does not understand a sport and prefers to hate on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Who knew the Martians played soccer??!!
Yes, they do. They'll be in the next World Cup.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 AM

16 posts, read 16,759 times
in ireland don't they call it fitba also?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Not quite true about Americans only playing "American Football", but that's besides the point. The world plays True Football, which we call soccer. It's a futile attempt to validate who calls what, what. It's a great game, American Football is a good one too. It really doesn't matter if we call it soccer in the US, and the world calls it Football. We always know which sport is being discussed at the time of conversation. It's just a matter of being informed and having a global perspective when talking to people who are not American, and people who like what we call Soccer, and what the world calls Football.

Yes, only in the US. But there is a world outside the US. Maybe some people should travel more and open their minds. There is a world outside these borders, you know?

The most spectated sports in the World are: Football/Soccer, Basketball and then Ice Hockey.

American Football (NFL) doesn't and can't even compete on these levels. In the US alone, the entire population doesn't even watch the NFL games, so you have a long road ahead of you proving its popularity in the world. AGAIN, THERE IS WORLD OUTSIDE THE USA. OPEN YOUR MIND!!

Take it easy with the arrogance, dude. You don't like the sport, fine.

Ignorance at its finest . It's the most exciting game to you. Stop bumping your chest like Donkey Kong. You sound uninformed. You like American Football, cool. So do I, but to act like a prima donna over it makes YOU look like the panty waisted pansy. Get over yourself.

Again, you must love the taste of toes. You keep putting your feet in your mouth. Your statements are beyond ignorant and uninformed. It's idiots like you that gives American Football fans a bad name. Too boastful, and loud mouthed. I'd love to see you say that at a Soccer/Football game in England. The young hooligans would club you in a minute. I'd love to see you shredded in pieces. You'd deserve it too.

Again, he doesn't sound too informed. Just another bitter person, who does not understand a sport and prefers to hate on it.

Yes, they do. They'll be in the next World Cup.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,367 times
Quote:
Agreed. I'm sick of the embarrassing displays put on this site by haters of both soccer and football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer