Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,251 times

Advertisements

As you probably know, a lot gets said between US and non-US fans on the subject of soccer. I'm American and I've been watching as many world cup matches as I can, though I've got a few questions:

1. With regards to Americans not embracing soccer "like the rest of the world", do you address similar complaints to Canadian and Japanese people? Soccer's no more popular in Canada than it is here, and baseball's much bigger than soccer in Japan.

2. Do you get on Australian people's cases for inventing a sport where you run with an ovular-shaped ball and calling it "football", while referring to association football as "soccer"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
As you probably know, a lot gets said between US and non-US fans on the subject of soccer. I'm American and I've been watching as many world cup matches as I can, though I've got a few questions:

1. With regards to Americans not embracing soccer "like the rest of the world", do you address similar complaints to Canadian and Japanese people? Soccer's no more popular in Canada than it is here, and baseball's much bigger than soccer in Japan.

2. Do you get on Australian people's cases for inventing a sport where you run with an ovular-shaped ball and calling it "football", while referring to association football as "soccer"?
not sure the relevance however,

the ball is kicked, infinitely more times in Australian football than compared to American football or rugby

Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 PM

93 posts, read 116,002 times
1. i don't address those complaints to japanese or canadians, but otoh i don't know any canadian or japanese people

2. I don't. Soccer is a perfectly acceptable term for the game, and one that is used in many countries, some European

Old 06-20-2010, 11:29 PM

47 posts, read 152,598 times
number 1..

are u kidding me? soccer is very popular in japan..
i have a friend, he is a japanese, he said: ''in japan, he always play soccer everyday, and so many soccer fans in japan too''

look at this video, that's urawa red fans, urawa red is a soccer club in j-league(japanese soccer league)

Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 AM

747 posts, read 2,759,231 times
Quote:
The other thread on almost the same subject has become so juvenile that it's not worth even replying to. But I'll throw in my 2 cents here: I haven't met many Europeans who are supposedly "obsessed" as to why Americans call it soccer or why it's not more popular here. Anything can be said between a handful of people in an internet forum and seem to be a heated debate.

In reality, most of the world probably doesn't care what Americans call Association Football or whether they like it. Could it come up in a conversation between expat Americans living abroad or foreign expats living here? Sure, it could. But in my years of living abroad, I've hardly found many people "obsessed" as to why soccer isn't more popular here. If anything, it's the commercial bodies of US sports that are obsessed with increasing their audience/consumers outside the US. Excepting the NBA, none of them have really succeeded.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM

683 posts, read 1,469,053 times
Quote:

2. The ball used by the Australian Rules Football players is a ball. An egg shaped ball. A prolate spheroid like the rugby ball. The pass the ball by kicking it as well. In the U.S. , the rugby egg shaped ball was modified, it is no longer a ball, I suggest you to read the geometrical definition of a ball. The NFL uses a VESICA PISCIS OBJECT, not a ball.

Vesica Piscis (http://www.crystalinks.com/vesicapisces.html - broken link)

The most common modern object based on the vesica piscis is the American football, which resembles the interior almond-shaped area of the vesica piscis swept about its long "axis" to produce a 3D object with rotational symmetry.

Why would you call that a Ball? Would you call a baseball "bat" a ball too?

Also, why would you call the NFL version "football"?

Do you kick the object to pass it? No?

Australians do use their feet to pass the ball during the game, also to score a "goal".

The NFL version has been modified to be more profitable. They killed the sport in the process. A vesica piscis ovoid object is used, use helmets as weapons to collision, the game is always stopped, many players are dying before the age of 50, and fans basically are too brainwashed to realize they are following a "sport" just because ESPN (and the NFL owners) says that's the "national sport.

1. Baseball is very popular in other American countries but they still call it "baseball" "beisbol" (same sound same word and meaning). People who play baseball outside the U.S. Did not change the name of the sport, or modified the ball to a Vesica Piscis object, or didn't change the rules to make it more profitable.

The NFL version should be modified back to what it was 100 years ago (a valid football version) or be modified to be more like the Aussie RulesFootball version... No helmets, no pads, the players dont stop (just for few seconds), KICK the ball to pass it, and BURN the fat. Fans can watch healthy people playing a sport. The NFL players look like obese African Americans. That sport is very biased, because the light skinned player is ALWAYS the quarterback, and the rest of the fat players are always colored, obese, expendable, and used as weapons to collide.

How many quarterbacks are colored?? Vs how many are light skinned?
How many are obese? they dont even run more than 2 miles in a single game. The average FIFA player runs 12 kilometers in one single game and the Australian rules football players probably run more kilometers.

Last edited by Edu983; 06-21-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
The NFL players look like obese African Americans. That sport is very biased, because the light skinned player is ALWAYS the quarterback, and the rest of the fat players are always colored, obese, expendable, and used as weapons to collide.
See, this is an example of why you were called stupid in another thread. If you paid attention to the NFL, then you'd know that many of the "obese" players to which you refer (or, as Keith Jackson calls them, "the big uglies") are white guys. And in reality, we're only talking about offensive lineman and defensive tackles. I challenge you to show me a DE, LB, CB, S, QB, WR, TE or RB in the NFL that is obsese. They may be big, but they're muscular and could snap you like a twig. They're fast, too. In most cases, players at positions other than OL or DT can run 40 yards in under five seconds.

Let's take my team, the Indianapolis Colts, as an example. The OL - five guys, one black guy. Another elite NFL team, the Patriots, don't have any black offensive lineman, I believe.

Furthermore, those "obese" guys you're referring to can often bench press (with many reps) more than 300 pounds.

So what if they don't run more than 2 miles in a game? Blocking and tackling require a lot of energy, too (something soccer players don't do -- tackling in soccer is not the same).

Finally, the ball in American football is kicked to affect field position and scoring. Pay attention. Then again, I guess it's easier to sit back and make ignorant statements.

Last edited by grmasterb; 06-21-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
I don't get on the case of Americans not being interested in football. I do get very annoyed when they tell me the only game that can be called football is American football. Then I object and make it known.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:45 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
2. The ball used by the Australian Rules Football players is a ball. An egg shaped ball. A prolate spheroid like the rugby ball. The pass the ball by kicking it as well. In the U.S. , the rugby egg shaped ball was modified, it is no longer a ball, I suggest you to read the geometrical definition of a ball. The NFL uses a VESICA PISCIS OBJECT, not a ball.

Vesica Piscis (http://www.crystalinks.com/vesicapisces.html - broken link)

The most common modern object based on the vesica piscis is the American football, which resembles the interior almond-shaped area of the vesica piscis swept about its long "axis" to produce a 3D object with rotational symmetry.

Why would you call that a Ball? Would you call a baseball "bat" a ball too?

Also, why would you call the NFL version "football"?
Because it is what it is; get over it. Oh, and thank you for the bunch of Vesica Piscis nonsense.

Quote:
Do you kick the object to pass it? No?
No. Kicking the football determines field position and scores in the manner of something called "field goals." Most NFL kickers come from a soccer background and are the most non-athletic people on the entire team.

Quote:
Australians do use their feet to pass the ball during the game, also to score a "goal".
Good for them.

Quote:
The NFL version has been modified to be more profitable.
And there's something wrong with that?

Quote:
They killed the sport in the process.
Says you; the NFL is by far the most watched and popular sport in the United States. NASCAR may have more butts in seats, but anyone in the US can tell you that the NFL is the most popular sport.

Quote:
A vesica piscis ovoid object is used, use helmets as weapons to collision, the game is always stopped, many players are dying before the age of 50, and fans basically are too brainwashed to realize they are following a "sport" just because ESPN (and the NFL owners) says that's the "national sport.
Fans follow the "sport" because we love it. The game stops because it is such a physically challenging "sport," unlike SOCCER. As for many players dying before the age of 50 might be because it is so physically demanding and yes, destructive. Players have the option of playing or not playing. It's a physically demanding and dangerous game, unlike soccer.

Quote:
Baseball is very popular in other American countries but they still call it "baseball" "beisbol" (same sound same word and meaning). People who play baseball outside the U.S. Did not change the name of the sport, or modified the ball to a Vesica Piscis object, or didn't change the rules to make it more profitable.
I could care less about how the name of American Football was derived or how it "offends" a bunch of panty waisted soccer players and their fans. Get over it. Again, it is what it is. We can name our sports whatever we feel like naming them.

Quote:
The NFL version should be modified back to what it was 100 years ago (a valid football version) or be modified to be more like the Aussie RulesFootball version... No helmets, no pads, the players dont stop (just for few seconds), KICK the ball to pass it, and BURN the fat. Fans can watch healthy people playing a sport. The NFL players look like obese African Americans. That sport is very biased, because the light skinned player is ALWAYS the quarterback, and the rest of the fat players are always colored, obese, expendable, and used as weapons to collide.
Prone to racist comments are you? This statement is devoid of facts.

Quote:
How many quarterbacks are colored?? Vs how many are light skinned?
Who cares? How many players are colored versus how many are light skinned in soccer? Besides, some of the most racist crap I've ever heard was from soccer fans. I seem to recall the following.

YouTube - Benfica fans hurl racist monkey chants at FC Porto players...for shame

YouTube - European Racism

And those are just the tip of the iceberg.

Quote:
How many are obese? they dont even run more than 2 miles in a single game. The average FIFA player runs 12 kilometers in one single game and the Australian rules football players probably run more kilometers.
The NFL game is different than soccer, we've already established that. Some of the athletes are so many levels above soccer players in not only speed and agility, but sheer strength. Also, there is a need for large, heavy bodied linemen on both sides of the ball. The game is what it is, and it is the most exciting game in the world. THIS is the NFL.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,052,247 times
Americans...and only Americans play football. THE WORLD PLAYS SOCCER. Nuff said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer