U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:17 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,282,431 times

Advertisements

the histrionics are pathetic and laughable ---even foosball commentators think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:03 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,760,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
In professional leagues the same could and should be applied aswell.

It is. All soccer games play by the same rules. FIFA controls the rules of the game and it is applied across the board.

Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,562,424 times
I came in here ready to start a thread on this subject.I am a newcomer to soccer and love it,but the absolute whinebag attitude of these guys puts me off.They make their game look like a wussy girl's game.Geez,look at the hits they take in Aussie football without pads.Some Euro TV show needs to start highlighting these actions and mocking the players,with their face plastered all over the TV,as the crybabies they make themselves look like.

Except for the Slovakian guy.Coming right back out with that gash was studly.Most American football players (NFL) would not have come back out with that kind of cut.Perhaps this guy can gives manliness lessons to the whinebags that seem to proliferate the sport.My kids say it is getting ridiculous at even the US college level.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,003,105 times
In my view, diving is the #1 scourge of football today. It's one of the main reasons I was happy to see Italy get the boot today.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:03 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,198,920 times
Having just watched a lot of Stanley Cup action and then the NBA finals the differences in the physicality of the sports and the acting that can go along with it is certainly interesting. Ian Laperriere had his face crushed with a puck and bruised his brain and was back on the ice in a few days. Danny Briere got slashed, went off the ice bleeding, got 4 stitches and was back in the game a few minutes later.

Having watched most of the WC games so far the diving pros (from what I saw) are Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Spain, Portugal, Italy and France.

I've been hoping that none of them advance. My dream is slowly becoming reality.

Uruguay (and I watched all of their matches) seems to play a clean game. Their match up against Mexico was a great game to watch.

It doesn't seem to be a part of the MLS culture and hopefully it stays that way. I hope they institute review rules as described above if it ever becomes an issue. Fines and suspensions will disabuse them of that habit quickly.

If there is one penalty that soccer could take from basketball it would have to be "charging". If you drop your shoulder and run right into someone you deserve a yellow.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:06 PM

21,606 posts, read 19,382,716 times
In this article (http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/bradley-punish-the-floppers--fbintl_dw-flopping062510.html - broken link) the American coach speaks out against diving/flopping.
One player I noticed is very good at diving is Ronaldo, which is kind of embarrassing for a player of his caliber.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 PM

47 posts, read 128,989 times

How about this one?

the newest one, chile against spainn

Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,198,920 times
I was watching the switzerland/honduras game but didn't he get a yellow card for that?

Old 06-25-2010, 10:54 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,744,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odLa View Post
How about this one?

the newest one, chile against spainn
It's really hard to see it in the GIF
but the Chilean guy touched the Spanish guy's foot with his foot.

Here's the King of diving = Cristiano Ronaldo

YouTube - Cristiano Ronaldo Diving Manual - Tutorial

Old 06-26-2010, 09:05 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,364,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's really hard to see it in the GIF
but the Chilean guy touched the Spanish guy's foot with his foot.
Correct. It was not a dive, it was a foul. Now maybe Torres made a meal of it but the Spanish move did not stop, no Spanish players were demanding a yellow card and Spain ended up scoring despite Torres being on the ground. Subsequently, the ref gave a second yellow card, probably as much for persistent fouling as for that specific incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer