U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2010, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,161,233 times
Reputation: 29446

Advertisements

I friggin' love the music in this video.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2010, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
10 posts, read 13,045 times
Reputation: 15
I know it's sad but it's part of the team's strategy

Besides there's an explanation...

You see in USA most of the sports you guys have are not about physical contacts with other players. Baseball for example or Basketball were if you even touch the other play it's kinda considered as a foul with Rugby(your football) being the exception where obviously you have to "beat" your opponents.

In football now... there's a lot of physical contact between the players, it's considered one of the most hard sports. So some of the players are simply abusing this fact. I mean if you had the same physical contact in baseball or basketball you would see the same **** happening in these sports aswell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,807 posts, read 2,163,852 times
Reputation: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercis View Post
I know it's sad but it's part of the team's strategy

Besides there's an explanation...

You see in USA most of the sports you guys have are not about physical contacts with other players. Baseball for example or Basketball were if you even touch the other play it's kinda considered as a foul with Rugby(your football) being the exception where obviously you have to "beat" your opponents.

In football now... there's a lot of physical contact between the players, it's considered one of the most hard sports. So some of the players are simply abusing this fact. I mean if you had the same physical contact in baseball or basketball you would see the same **** happening in these sports aswell...
Watch an ice hockey game. Those guys don't flop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,277 posts, read 5,165,877 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercis View Post
I know it's sad but it's part of the team's strategy

Besides there's an explanation...

You see in USA most of the sports you guys have are not about physical contacts with other players. Baseball for example or Basketball were if you even touch the other play it's kinda considered as a foul with Rugby(your football) being the exception where obviously you have to "beat" your opponents.

In football now... there's a lot of physical contact between the players, it's considered one of the most hard sports. So some of the players are simply abusing this fact. I mean if you had the same physical contact in baseball or basketball you would see the same **** happening in these sports aswell...
Actually, baseball games can have A LOT of contact. There is no getting called for a foul in baseball, either. Yes, you can get in trouble for being in an actual fight or sliding cleats up. However, pretty much everything else is fair game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 09:23 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,161,233 times
Reputation: 29446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercis View Post
I know it's sad but it's part of the team's strategy

Besides there's an explanation...

You see in USA most of the sports you guys have are not about physical contacts with other players. Baseball for example or Basketball were if you even touch the other play it's kinda considered as a foul with Rugby(your football) being the exception where obviously you have to "beat" your opponents.

In football now... there's a lot of physical contact between the players, it's considered one of the most hard sports. So some of the players are simply abusing this fact. I mean if you had the same physical contact in baseball or basketball you would see the same **** happening in these sports aswell...
Basketball is theoretically not a contact sport, but the way the NBA (and to a lesser extent college ball) is officiated these days it has become a very physical game. And the only time you'll see them "flop" is if they're trying to draw an offensive foul. And the "flop" is not a bid to act like they've been injured but because they actually got their asses knocked down. And clearly you've never watched a hockey game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Watch an ice hockey game. Those guys don't flop.
LOL nope. They take a puck to the face, lose 7 teeth in the process, go sit on the bench for a bit to shake it off, and get right back in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 PM
 
1,645 posts, read 4,012,244 times
Reputation: 1682
I've been playing competitive hockey for years, and I have seen diving. Hockey definitely isn't immune to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,161,233 times
Reputation: 29446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I've been playing competitive hockey for years, and I have seen diving. Hockey definitely isn't immune to it.
I have never in my life seen a "dive" in a hockey game, whereas it has become an irritatingly common feature in soccer, so much so that officials have actually had to crack down on it to protect the integrity of the sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Liberal Coast
4,277 posts, read 5,165,877 times
Reputation: 3889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I have never in my life seen a "dive" in a hockey game, whereas it has become an irritatingly common feature in soccer, so much so that officials have actually had to crack down on it to protect the integrity of the sport.
Anytime that I have ever seen a hockey player do anything remotely related to a dive, he later got his *** handed to him. Just watch women's hockey. Checking isn't allowed, and they do not dive.

I think rules in soccer add to this, though. If you go for the ball but happen to miss it and instead get the other player, you get called for a foul. I find that to be ridiculous. Maybe if you intentionally try to hurt someone, but if you just miss the ball there should be no problem. The commentators were talking about this. The Scottish guy was saying that when he played a lot of these fouls would not have been fouls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
If you think there is no diving in hockey, you are a fool. No, it may not be as prominent but it happens. It also happens in basketball a lot too. Athletes will do anything to get an advantage whether it is taking steriods or another PED or diving. It's unfortunate but it is the climate we live in today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 02:53 PM
 
1,883 posts, read 2,556,771 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If you think there is no diving in hockey, you are a fool. No, it may not be as prominent but it happens. It also happens in basketball a lot too. Athletes will do anything to get an advantage whether it is taking steriods or another PED or diving. It's unfortunate but it is the climate we live in today.
Yeah,but soccer is in a league of it's own.Not even close.I am enjoying the WC,but this part of it is simply amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top