U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:01 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,374,006 times

Advertisements

Of course some diving happens in hockey, but no where near this level...to the point its a fallacy to compare the two. The worst part about it in the WC, is the oh so pained facial expressions these guys have as they sally-pom-pom to the ground, and then how they stay down like they have been shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 03:03 AM

4,277 posts, read 5,179,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
If you think there is no diving in hockey, you are a fool. No, it may not be as prominent but it happens. It also happens in basketball a lot too. Athletes will do anything to get an advantage whether it is taking steriods or another PED or diving. It's unfortunate but it is the climate we live in today.
As I said, it does happen. However, those who do it tend to regret it pretty quickly. There is absolutely no comparison between hockey and soccer. Some guy gets elbowed in the arm so he grabs his face and falls to the ground "crying." Please.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:50 AM

364 posts, read 414,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
If you go for the ball but happen to miss it and instead get the other player, you get called for a foul. I find that to be ridiculous. Maybe if you intentionally try to hurt someone, but if you just miss the ball there should be no problem.
I think you're misunderstanding. Calling a foul is not about intent, it's about impeding the progress of the player. It's no different than attempting to swat the basketball and instead hitting the arm of the shooter, trying to block a punt and instead clobbering the punter, etc.

Quote:
The commentators were talking about this. The Scottish guy was saying that when he played a lot of these fouls would not have been fouls.
What they're talking about is how many ticky-tack fouls are being called by that particular ref.....not whether getting the ball matters. Think of it this way: If a player is on a breakaway and is taken out from behind, defender misses the ball, there is no foul because he didn't intend to take out or hurt the other player? He theoretically saved a goal. Of course it's a foul and most likely a red card.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,208,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's really hard to see it in the GIF
but the Chilean guy touched the Spanish guy's foot with his foot.

Here's the King of diving = Cristiano Ronaldo

YouTube - Cristiano Ronaldo Diving Manual - Tutorial
Well it seems yesterday's referee read your post because he wasn't calling any fouls against Ronaldo. Ronaldo had the "Boy who cried Wolf Effect" yesterday. He will be diving at his home pool I guess.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:40 AM

4,277 posts, read 5,179,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post
I think you're misunderstanding. Calling a foul is not about intent, it's about impeding the progress of the player. It's no different than attempting to swat the basketball and instead hitting the arm of the shooter, trying to block a punt and instead clobbering the punter, etc.

What they're talking about is how many ticky-tack fouls are being called by that particular ref.....not whether getting the ball matters. Think of it this way: If a player is on a breakaway and is taken out from behind, defender misses the ball, there is no foul because he didn't intend to take out or hurt the other player? He theoretically saved a goal. Of course it's a foul and most likely a red card.
Those aren't the plays I was talking about. I was talking about when a player was actually going for a ball and not taking out the player. That's what the commentators were talking about, too. I'm totally not misunderstanding anything. I also see nothing wrong with trying to swat the basketball and accidentally getting the other player. It happens.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I also see nothing wrong with trying to swat the basketball and accidentally getting the other player. It happens.
Yes, and if he made the shot, it's "and one."

Old 07-01-2010, 02:12 PM

416 posts, read 942,881 times
The diving is one of the factors that annoys Americans and will keep them from becoming big fans of the game.
In North America they are used to watching Hockey and Football, . . . both of which are full contact where oversized men knock each other on their butts and get up and continue playing. So there is a HIGH level of annoyance with the diving, and lying there and whining, which prevails in soccer.
In hockey if a player takes an extremely embellished dive, the ref can call the penalty on the 'diver' for unsportsmanlike.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
The diving is one of the factors that annoys Americans and will keep them from becoming big fans of the game.
In North America they are used to watching Hockey and Football, . . . both of which are full contact where oversized men knock each other on their butts and get up and continue playing. So there is a HIGH level of annoyance with the diving, and lying there and whining, which prevails in soccer.
Please. Yes, we are so pure, true, and honest in our sports that no one takes a dive (as you pointed out in hockey), football (WR's phantom pass interference calls, kickers/punters), baseball (tags & catches not made etc), NBA (players crying out so loud you think they've been tazered). Yeah, it's the diving keeping Americans from being interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
In hockey if a player takes an extremely embellished dive, the ref can call the penalty on the 'diver' for unsportsmanlike.
Referees do the same in soccer with the yellow card.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post
Please. Yes, we are so pure, true, and honest in our sports that no one takes a dive (as you pointed out in hockey), football (WR's phantom pass interference calls, kickers/punters), baseball (tags & catches not made etc), NBA (players crying out so loud you think they've been tazered). Yeah, it's the diving keeping Americans from being interested.

Referees do the same in soccer with the yellow card.
Well, then why the hell dont they??
and
I did NOT mention basketball because they are bigger wusses than golfers or basket weavers.
I was NOT defending all North American sports, and would never defend the overall stupidity of basketball. I definitely respect soccer (with diving and all) MUCH more than basketball. Baseball is ridiculous for any foreigner to understand, and the only play really requiring any guts is the collision at home plate.
and YES it is the Diving I hear most Americans complaining about loudly.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's really hard to see it in the GIF
but the Chilean guy touched the Spanish guy's foot with his foot.

Here's the King of diving = Cristiano Ronaldo

YouTube - Cristiano Ronaldo Diving Manual - Tutorial
Thank you for posting that.
I gave you points.
The creation of this vid was wonderful, but the content was disturbing and left me sick.
I am appalled by how blatant his fakes were, and that little retard sits there and screams at the ref ! ! ! Do the refs ever fall for it??
I disliked Ronaldo before for being a screaming wuss, but now I can honestly say I hate him and wish him nothing but harm, and a career ending injury due to a botched dive attempt.

Makes me wish for hockey season to start, . . . where players can reach speeds of up to 30 miles per hour, and have mid ice collisions with the equivalent force of a truck hitting a wall at 60 mph. (30x2). and if either is still conscious, they get up and keep playing.
This is actually funny. This guy gets smokes and instead of lying there and crying like a Ronaldo, he is woozy and stumbles and bubmles to the bench.

YouTube - Tucker's Hit On Kapanen
I am not trying to go off topic. I think ALL soccer players should be required to watch THIS. (and Ronaldo REPEATEDLY)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer