U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:15 PM

833 posts, read 1,210,246 times

Advertisements

I have to admit I’m pretty new to association football. I’ve been a long baseball fan, and just recently got into it by watching some UEFA games. While I think this is one of the most difficult and most exciting sports out there, I believe that the diving and the faking injuries are taking way too much from the game. I as a sport fan am not pleased to have to accept this as part of the game, or any other sport for that matter. What’s your take on this? Do you think is part of the game, or should it be addressed by FIFA? I personally think it should be addressed. I read somewhere that a good way to address this would be that every time a player dives and moans on the ground like his career is about to end, take that player off the field for 15 mins (1/3 of a half) and replace him. I thought that would be a great way to fix this foolishness. To have to watch Kaká taken off the field because some idiot diver has been one of the lowest points of sports I have ever witnessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,359,820 times
I agree with you that diving is becoming a problem.

I think the problem is being made worse by having referees who are simply not up to officiating at this level. For example, what kind of high level experience does a referee from Saudi Arabia have? These inexperienced refs are too easily fooled by the experienced professional players that you find at this level. And the players will go for any advantage they can get.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:53 PM

47 posts, read 128,964 times
i think most of the diving expert is from italy

and francesco totti the most expert diving ever

Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,372,551 times
It's a form of cheating and it hurts the sport (its bad in the NBA too).

Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,758,894 times
Diving is nothing in this World Cup. I havent seen much of it at all. In 2006, it was absolutely horrible. It has been much better this year than in the past. The refs have been giving card for simulation which helps.

What needs to be done to rectify the problem is that each game needs to be reviewed and anyone blatantly diving needs to be suspended without pay.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:19 PM

854 posts, read 2,529,741 times
italy doing what italy does best.

YouTube - Hilarious Daniele De Rossi Diving Italy vs Paraguay FIFA World Cup 2010

Old 06-21-2010, 05:20 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,359,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Diving is nothing in this World Cup. I havent seen much of it at all. In 2006, it was absolutely horrible. It has been much better this year than in the past. The refs have been giving card for simulation which helps.

What needs to be done to rectify the problem is that each game needs to be reviewed and anyone blatantly diving needs to be suspended without pay.
Are the players paid by their countries or by their clubs? If the latter then it would be outwith the jurisdiction of FIFA.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:18 AM

93 posts, read 101,762 times
the issue of diving is a contentious one in many countries. In England it is perceived that players didn't use to dive and that it began when Latin players started playing in the English league. Many english fans are blind to the dives of their own players and still perceive diving to be a 'foreign thing"

There is an argument that when you are tripped at high running speed it makes sense to go to ground 'too easily' as it is better for the body (obviously this applies to actual contact not outright fakery or face clutching histrionics!), and that as the game has got faster this has got more apparent.

anyway I woudn't say that diving was part of the culture of the game but I would say that diving is part of the culture of the game in some countries more so than others

Old 06-22-2010, 03:19 PM

57 posts, read 37,222 times
i think diving is outtrageous,just outrageous,it pisses me off,that rule of being of the field when they fake being hurt for 10 minutes makes sense

Old 06-22-2010, 04:23 PM

857 posts, read 1,261,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
To have to watch Kaká taken off the field because some idiot diver has been one of the lowest points of sports I have ever witnessed.
You really must be new to the world cup if that is the lowest you've seen

Diving is technically a penalty (simulation) but it is rarely called. I applaud any ref with the guts to give this yellow as it is not given often enough. I think the best way to deal with it is to have FIFA set up a review after every game by different refs and if after viewing all the replays a player is deemed to have dived then he should be suspended from the next game, simple as that. And then more diving offenses should add up to worse suspensions/penalties.

In professional leagues the same could and should be applied aswell.

Diving never has, and never will be part of the game to me, its a game of character, not of con artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer