U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 01:32 AM

977 posts, read 1,637,150 times

Advertisements

Did not bother reading the first 9 pages, but here is my take.
It certainly seems like soccer got popular all of a sudden. Not sure why, even previous World Cups haven't helped it catch on, and I am no different. Even I have been watching this time around, and I at least was one of those "soccer bashers." Am still planning on following the World Cup even though the US is out. Rooting for Ghana now, but I think Argentina will take it. Not sure about following MLS or anything. I think the spirit of international competition is part of the draw for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,212,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
the best it can do now is just be on the same level as those leagues, not above.
who said otherwise?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,781,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
Actually you yanks didn't deserve to win the group,
[/quote]

That's bull**** and you know it. I watched every single game of group play in Group C and the US was clearly the best team out of all 4 teams. If it werent for a crap call, the US would have had 2 victories and a draw. The US outplayed the English for a majority of their match as well.

I have several English friends and they all have said the exact same thing. Hell, they didnt even think the English deserved to advance out of the group.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 PM
JJG

13,253 posts, read 19,277,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
who said otherwise?
SOOOOO many soccer fans and haters I've spoken too.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:41 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,644,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
It certainly seems like soccer got popular all of a sudden.
And that isn't by accident. If you notice, soccer in the United States becomes "popular all of a sudden" every time the World Cup approaches. Then it goes back to wherever it had been before. The "popularity" (and you have to put it in quotation marks, because it isn't really genuine) is created by sponsorship interests.

The other day I saw the commissioner of MSL on TV, and he was absolutely bubbling over with excitement at his league's plans for expansion. The first thought I had was, the man evidently never heard that old expression, those who don't study history are condemned to repeat it. In four words: North American Soccer League.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
And that isn't by accident. If you notice, soccer in the United States becomes "popular all of a sudden" every time the World Cup approaches. Then it goes back to wherever it had been before. The "popularity" (and you have to put it in quotation marks, because it isn't really genuine) is created by sponsorship interests.

The other day I saw the commissioner of MSL on TV, and he was absolutely bubbling over with excitement at his league's plans for expansion. The first thought I had was, the man evidently never heard that old expression, those who don't study history are condemned to repeat it. In four words: North American Soccer League.

Will you stop saying that? You keep making yourself look like a fool.

NASL and MLS have nothing to do with each other. The MLS is an extremely well ran league while NASL was about as poorly ran as a business can get. The NFL would have folded if it was ran like NASL.

I bet you didnt know that MLS most recent expansion teams have over 20K season ticket holders and are already making profit in their first seasons? This is after they were willing to pony up 50 million dollars to MLS to even have the rights to a team.

Why dont you try reading up on a few things before talking out of your ass.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:17 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,620,206 times
Fred got schooled.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 AM

219 posts, read 221,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
are we witnessing a soccer revolution here? ...Or, is this just another case of American bandwagonism???
Revolution? That's way too strong. Our biggest, best athletes DON'T play the sport. Period. They play football and basketball. If you lived in a cave all your life and you just watched sports for the first time, it's obvious the countries with the bigger, stronger, faster athletes are better. Our best soccer player is Tim Howard and, he's the biggest athlete on the team. Until guys like Lebron, Kobe, Adrian Peterson, Reggie Bush, etc play soccer at a young age, it won't be as popular as the big three (NFL, NBA, MLB).

American bandwagonism? It's not much different than the Olympics every four years. We latch on to an athlete or a story that is compelling, ride it out until it's over, then we go back to our regular lives. Of course, you get some new fans out of it, but people aren't following track and field or gymnastics or figure skating on a regular basis. Soccer has a bit of an advantage because it's a team sport and we have a pro league here. But the average person knows one or two names in the MLS. And there is a chance Landon Donovan could go to on of the European soccer leagues. There goes our star.

Plus, it's a tough sport to enjoy if you didn't grow up with it. There's little scoring, guys flop (a lot), and they won't use technology to get obvious bad calls correct (sounds a little like baseball - another sport that isn't highly popular).

Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM

219 posts, read 221,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I bet you didnt know that MLS most recent expansion teams have over 20K season ticket holders and are already making profit in their first seasons?
That's a nice number and profit and all, but let's see it in a few years when the honeymoon is over. Let's see it after those new teams aren't doing well on the field. I'm just saying people will go because it's new, because other people are doing it, and best case scenario, because the team is good. But there's a good chance after a few years, that may all wear off. You have a bunch of hardcore fans, but the sport lacks the casual fan.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
That's a nice number and profit and all, but let's see it in a few years when the honeymoon is over. Let's see it after those new teams aren't doing well on the field. I'm just saying people will go because it's new, because other people are doing it, and best case scenario, because the team is good. But there's a good chance after a few years, that may all wear off. You have a bunch of hardcore fans, but the sport lacks the casual fan.

Seattle, Toronto, and Philadelphia are all on the bottom half of the league and while Seattle made the playoffs last year, none of those teams have fared well so far but yet there fans are still there every game going crazy.

Portland and Vancouver come in next season and it will likely be the same thing.

These teams are doing well because they have the advantage of learning from the mistakes of all the original teams. I dont see them having any dropoff in their fanbase. In fact, I only see growth for all three of them. Toronto is already talking about expanding their stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or