U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 AM

10,312 posts, read 11,239,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
You really didn't do that math and make the argument, did you?

In 81 games, the Phillies sell 3.2 million tickets, per the numbers you're using. Fine.

In 8 games, the Eagles sell 536,000 tickets, per the numbers you used. Fine.

The numbers are ONLY different because of the number of games. Multiply the 8 games by 10 to get roughly the same amount of games in a baseball season. Philly is a passionate (to a fault sometimes) sports area. I have no reason to believe they won't go to 80 football games. You get 5.4 million tickets. That's bigger than 3.2 million.

You can't compare 8 games in a football season to 81 games in a baseball season and say baseball is more popular.
You really think tens of thousands of people would go to eighty footballs games a year if they had the chance? You're kidding yourself.

As one of the big supporters of football observed, one of the things that makes football games a big deal is that they're a big deal: lose two or three in a row and you're out of contention.

Lose that and you've lost a big part of the appeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 AM

219 posts, read 220,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You really think tens of thousands of people would go to eighty footballs games a year if they had the chance?
Yes. The sport is more popular than baseball. It's more exciting than baseball. There's more action than baseball. Why wouldn't a passionate fan base like, I dunno, Philly, New York, SEC College Football go? Do you see the way fans travel to road games? Do you see the way fans travel to Super Bowls?

It's a pointless argument anyway because football doesn't lend itself to 80 games. I was making the original point that you can't say baseball is more popular because they sell more regular season tickets in a year than football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
As one of the big supporters of football observed, one of the things that makes football games a big deal is that they're a big deal: lose two or three in a row and you're out of contention.
I said that...

Last edited by RyDizzle23; 07-01-2010 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-01-2010, 01:19 PM

416 posts, read 942,156 times
It is interesting how the U.S. networks quickly change over to and MLS soccer game as soon as the World Cup game is over. and I quickly change the channel.
It is not bandwagon jumping, . . . I just watch the sport that the entire world is NUTS over.
MLS is NOT as interesting to me. Maybe some day. I hope others are getting into it.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:37 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,015,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
It is interesting how the U.S. networks quickly change over to and MLS soccer game as soon as the World Cup game is over. and I quickly change the channel.
It is not bandwagon jumping, . . . I just watch the sport that the entire world is NUTS over.
MLS is NOT as interesting to me. Maybe some day. I hope others are getting into it.
ESPN has been doing the MLS game of the week since 1996. Nothing new there... Anyway...you should give MLS a fair shake and take in a game. Some of the best, rowdiest, and passionate fans in the country pack MLS stadiums. And, contrary to what you may have heard or think, it is pretty quality football minus the goofy diving you see in la liga or serie a.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:17 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,100 times
Not to be contrarian to be contrarian, but I wonder what the fans in Scotland, Denmark or Belguim think of MLS level. They are not the best but still good, naturally Spaniards, Brits and Germans would likely scoff at it.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,194,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Please tell me you arent serious. You are going to compare those numbers when one comes from 8 games and the other comes from 81? One team plays 10x as many games as the other. You cannot compare those figures and come to any type of conclusion. My 8 year old daughter would tell you that. If you're still in school, I think you need to take some math courses and maybe even a statistics course.
wow . . . if you're still in school you might want to follow through with a logic class. Maybe you'll come across the aristotle quote "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

If you had entertained it you might have considered that if football teams played 162 games in a season (well, they couldn't because they'd all be out with injuries by the 3rd week) they wouldn't be selling 70,000 tickets per game. I think they'd be lucky to outsell most NBA teams. There would be nowhere near the intensity or passion surrounding it because a lot of people, if given the opportunity to watch it that often, would realize that it's really not that exciting.

But that's all hypothetical and subjective. If the question is "is football the most popular sport in the US?" and the answer is "without a doubt". We need some evidence. So far I've heard that the the NFL has bigger TV audiences. OK. MLB has bigger live audiences. By far. MLB also has higher revenues.

Just saying, some people seem really confident that football has a larger fanbase. Show me.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:39 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,100 times
Dudes, WAY Off topic, let's bury the hatchet huh?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Just saying, some people seem really confident that football has a larger fanbase. Show me.
I gave references earlier on tv ratings that show how baseball's audiences are trending downward and football's are trending upward. I will also mention how college football is by far and away the biggest college sport from attendance (some stadiums with +100K seats, sold out) and revenue (For Longhorns, Money Grows on Football Program Instead of Trees -- NCAAFB FanHouse).

More proof: Sports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (of it's on Wikipedia, it's gotta be true!)

Popularity of American Football

It's hard sifting through the junk on the internet to find reputable research that definitively proves it. I don't know what kind of evidence you're looking for, but I don't think it could be any more obvious. A player (in your neck of the woods) gets traded in April and it leads sports tv and radio for a week! Not the start of baseball. Not the near-start of the NBA playoffs... A trade in the NFL off-season. Companies like ESPN and FOX Sports aren't dumb, they've been doing their research for years. They know what gets people to watch and what they care about most.

Whatever. In person or on tv. Baseball's biggest games aren't nearly as popular: regular season or post season. I can find recent regular season football games that blowout baseball playoff games. And nothing touches the Super Bowl. What evidence would convince you? Or can you be convinced...

Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Dudes, WAY Off topic, let's bury the hatchet huh?
NO! Lol. Sorry to the OP. Maybe it answers his question though...

Old 07-01-2010, 04:57 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,015,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Not to be contrarian to be contrarian, but I wonder what the fans in Scotland, Denmark or Belguim think of MLS level. They are not the best but still good, naturally Spaniards, Brits and Germans would likely scoff at it.
Honestly, I believe MLS is level with the Scottish league (minus celtic and rangers). And, better in quality than the Danish and Belgium leagues. MLS is probobly equal in talent to the mid range of the League Championship in England. Although, supporters of those leagues would probobly disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or