U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 06:24 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,345,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Honestly, I believe MLS is level with the Scottish league (minus celtic and rangers). And, better in quality than the Danish and Belgium leagues. MLS is probobly equal in talent to the mid range of the League Championship in England. Although, supporters of those leagues would probobly disagree.
I wouldn't disagree. However, the MLS is self-contained. In Belgium, Denmark and to a lesser extent Scotland, these equal teams also have the chance to play in European competition. That gives the players and the supporters something to look forward to. It also attracts good players looking to make a name for themselves and get that big move. There is also promotion/relegation to add a bit of spice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,809,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I wouldn't disagree. However, the MLS is self-contained. In Belgium, Denmark and to a lesser extent Scotland, these equal teams also have the chance to play in European competition. That gives the players and the supporters something to look forward to. It also attracts good players looking to make a name for themselves and get that big move. There is also promotion/relegation to add a bit of spice.
MLS clubs compete in the CONCACAF Champions League, but they seem to rarely put their best squad out there, and as a result, they struggle against USL sides, not to mention the likes of Pachuca.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:48 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,345,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
MLS clubs compete in the CONCACAF Champions League, but they seem to rarely put their best squad out there, and as a result, they struggle against USL sides, not to mention the likes of Pachuca.
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,771,940 times
Maybe comparison to Japan's J League would be better.

After boning up on reading it seems like there are a few overiding characteristics of soccer in America

There is fair soccer fandom in USA But It primarily prefers international clubs like in the UEFA.

Our league seems hampered by low salaries, common MLS ownership and inablility to keep high quality locals (although I think most except the largest UEFA nations have the same problem right?)

Acceptance of soccer is a gradual generational thing, but MLS is probably better served gradually introducing more international context and importance to the sport, whether that be through gaining more international players or through putting more importance in CONCACAF Cups. Piggy backing on the World Cup is alright but it needs more long term effort.

One interesting dynamic I see in Europe is the focus on the big UEFA game. Conversely I didn't learn about the CONCACAF until last month. My pals say one problem with hyping the CONCACAF games is that they "suck" compared to the big boys. Still I think we need to try and upend Mexico once in a while, at least for some bragging rights.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:10 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

On top of CONCACAF Champions League, MLS teams also play in SuperLiga which is a small tournament in which 4 MLS teams and 4 Mexican league teams compete.

In addition, they play in the oldest sports competition in the United States, the US Open Cup which is a tournament that takes nearly a year and starts with low level teams in our 4th division and our MLS teams join in at a certain point and play as well.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 AM

219 posts, read 220,714 times
So many leagues and groups and cups and tournaments.... It's kinda hard to follow when it isn't mainstream here. One thing leads to another to another. It's like a 4 year season, with the World Cup being the ultimate championship (I'm just trying to equate it to traditional sports here). I guess that's how you have to organize it when there are so many countries around the world playing it...

Old 07-02-2010, 09:23 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,752,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyDizzle23 View Post
So many leagues and groups and cups and tournaments.... It's kinda hard to follow when it isn't mainstream here. One thing leads to another to another. It's like a 4 year season, with the World Cup being the ultimate championship (I'm just trying to equate it to traditional sports here). I guess that's how you have to organize it when there are so many countries around the world playing it...

Well, you have 2 different things. You have the international teams and then you have club teams.

If you want to truly follow soccer, you really have to spend a lot of time. With the emergence of the internet, it has become much easier but also very time consuming. I can spending hours reading articles.

For international soccer, the World Cup is the ultimate prize. What most people dont know is that the WC is actually a 2.5 to 3 year event that has over 900 matches and involves over 200 countries. That is why it is the world's largest event.

In between there are exhibition matches and other tournaments. The world is divided into conferences and each has their own championship. Most happen every 4 years except for CONCACAF which takes place every 2 years. The European Championship is probably the 2nd biggest soccer event and happens 2 years after the WC. In some aspects it is actually more entertaining than the WC.

Then you get into club teams and then you have to choose which league(s) to follow.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:57 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,193,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Maybe comparison to Japan's J League would be better.

After boning up on reading it seems like there are a few overiding characteristics of soccer in America

There is fair soccer fandom in USA But It primarily prefers international clubs like in the UEFA.

Our league seems hampered by low salaries, common MLS ownership and inablility to keep high quality locals (although I think most except the largest UEFA nations have the same problem right?)
I think that's really the same issue. As with any other pro sport players are going to follow the big salaries. Those salaries are in Europe.

Even if soccer in the US doubles in popularity in the next decade we're not going to be attracting top, international talent. Until you see kids in Argentina or England wearing LA Galaxy jerseys the league just won't have the money. The game is just too popular in those places to be able to compete for fans. It's not like in baseball where everyone in the world knows the Yankees or in basketball where everyone knows the Lakers. Those are the teams to beat in the world - comparable to a Barcelona or Boca Juniors.

Quote:
Acceptance of soccer is a gradual generational thing, but MLS is probably better served gradually introducing more international context and importance to the sport, whether that be through gaining more international players or through putting more importance in CONCACAF Cups. Piggy backing on the World Cup is alright but it needs more long term effort.

One interesting dynamic I see in Europe is the focus on the big UEFA game. Conversely I didn't learn about the CONCACAF until last month. My pals say one problem with hyping the CONCACAF games is that they "suck" compared to the big boys. Still I think we need to try and upend Mexico once in a while, at least for some bragging rights.
the CONCACAF national teams might not be that great compared to UEFA and CONMEBOL teams but then, again, this is their game. They better be good at it. Still, team USA and team Mexico are ranked competitively in the world standings. The rest of the countries in CONCACAF have populations that range from a few hundred thousand to a few million. It's hard to pull a lot of talent from a small pool.

OTOH, CONCACAF club teams, especially those in Mexico, are competitive anywhere in the world.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:09 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,892,400 times
not going through all these pages but yes the interest in soccer is skyrocketing
and it has nothing to do with the world cup

for the last 5 years or so i have seen the amount of people playing soccer in parks grow at a super fast rate. on any given day i can think about 4-5 fields where there are soccer games going on. organized soccer games, from kindergarten aged kids to old men in their 50s.
i see women, teenagers, people of all ages playing soccer now, its crazy. i dont even see people playing baseball or basketball nearly as often as i see soccer fields full of people playing.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:27 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,999,418 times
If you don't see baseball and football you muct be in a strange place. Little leagur football and basabll are one of the largest numbers of team in the USA. Even girls softball is biger than soccer.Look at the number of high school baseball;football and basketball temas alone. Thsie htree get the best athletes in this country by far. To deny it is to live in a closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or