U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-08-2010, 10:24 AM
 
364 posts, read 414,469 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The same can be said for all youth sports.
You're right about that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 AM
 
3,029 posts, read 7,196,951 times
Reputation: 3209
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The same can be said for all youth sports.
Not true. In baseball, every player gets a chance to bat, and most positions get a chance to catch a ball or two.. In football, every player has a job to do and if he doesn't do it, the team suffers. Most players get some sort of contact (against the other team) on every play. In soccer, most kids just run around never getting close to the ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 PM
 
1,261 posts, read 1,771,808 times
Reputation: 371
Back to the point....

The key is whether more kids around high school and college age will continue to get into soccer. Basketball and football are very TV friendly sure but they have organic grassroots interest. The interest in soccer is muted or fragmented due to various reasons.

Long story short when US international qualifying matches earn top 20 cable ratings, you know soccer has REALLY arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,718 posts, read 4,789,383 times
Reputation: 1454
I may sound like a typical American but copying European football team names isn't the way to go. Sporting Kansas City, Real Salt Lake and C.D. Chivas USA are the most ridiculous names for a top-tier sports league, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
Reputation: 5087
Real Salt Lake is the most rediculous name there because its a fake self titled Real unlike the real Real teams in Spain and across the glove. As much as I give Kansas crap (thanks for the amusement Rjrobb) SPorting Kansas City is much better than the tpyical American name like The Whiz etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 01:01 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,248 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Real Salt Lake is the most rediculous name there because its a fake self titled Real unlike the real Real teams in Spain and across the glove. As much as I give Kansas crap (thanks for the amusement Rjrobb) SPorting Kansas City is much better than the tpyical American name like The Whiz etc.
You think "The Wiz" is a typical American name?

Typcial American sports names at least have (s) at the end more than anything, (i.e., Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers, Stars....FC Dallas doesn't fit and I don't care what ANYONE says)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,752,098 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I may sound like a typical American but copying European football team names isn't the way to go. Sporting Kansas City, Real Salt Lake and C.D. Chivas USA are the most ridiculous names for a top-tier sports league, IMO.
You should learn some sports history before making such statements.

Many sports teams in the early days did not have lion, tigers, and bears nicknames. They were called things such as Athletic Club which is the same as the Sporting Kansas City name. We adopted the lions, tigers, and bears nicknames simply for marketing purposes. It was done when people saw the ability to turn sports into an enterprise. It was done out of greed and for money, not because it sounded better or more professional.

We are one of the only countries in the world that use those type of nicknames for their professional sports teams. So, who is to say that are sports team names arent ridiculous. Some of those professional teams in other countries have been around since before the United States was even a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Fairfax County, VA
3,718 posts, read 4,789,383 times
Reputation: 1454
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You should learn some sports history before making such statements.

Many sports teams in the early days did not have lion, tigers, and bears nicknames. They were called things such as Athletic Club which is the same as the Sporting Kansas City name. We adopted the lions, tigers, and bears nicknames simply for marketing purposes. It was done when people saw the ability to turn sports into an enterprise. It was done out of greed and for money, not because it sounded better or more professional.

We are one of the only countries in the world that use those type of nicknames for their professional sports teams. So, who is to say that are sports team names arent ridiculous. Some of those professional teams in other countries have been around since before the United States was even a country.
I already know what you stated, thank you very much. When I said typical American, I was referring to the overall majority that likes nicknames. You're the one who should learn to read before making accusations like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,248 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Reputation: 7010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You should learn some sports history before making such statements.

Many sports teams in the early days did not have lion, tigers, and bears nicknames. They were called things such as Athletic Club which is the same as the Sporting Kansas City name. We adopted the lions, tigers, and bears nicknames simply for marketing purposes. It was done when people saw the ability to turn sports into an enterprise. It was done out of greed and for money, not because it sounded better or more professional.

We are one of the only countries in the world that use those type of nicknames for their professional sports teams. So, who is to say that are sports team names arent ridiculous. Some of those professional teams in other countries have been around since before the United States was even a country.
All good points.... but I'd still rather cheer for the Dallas Cowboys. Not 'American Football Franchise of Dallas'.... or something like that.

And ya gotta admit, the ONLY sport that can get away with that in America would be soccer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2012, 07:27 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,308,513 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
I may sound like a typical American but copying European football team names isn't the way to go. Sporting Kansas City, Real Salt Lake and C.D. Chivas USA are the most ridiculous names for a top-tier sports league, IMO.
There is loads of names you can call your football teams. I loved the Cosmos. That was a class name for a football team. LA Galaxy is a good name too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top