U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:15 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,722,360 times

Advertisements

I'd like to have a serious conversation about this
Does US media promote hate against soccer?

Sometimes I watch ESPN and other sports news on other channels.
And they show fishing, cheerleading, curling, spelling bee, World's strongest man (2-3 year old videos), etc, etc.

And I don't hear anybody complaining about that,
but when it comes to soccer..... the US media refuses to say anything positive and highlights absolutely anything negative about soccer.

I'm 100% convinced that the US media promotes hate against soccer by ignoring all the great positive things about the World Cup and only talking about negative things (soccer ball, vuvuzelas, high crime and AIDS in South Africa, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 10:46 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,722,360 times
A few things that American media finds more exciting than soccer

YouTube - Best Of The Bee

YouTube - The Bass Master Promo

Youtube - Curling is Intense

YouTube - Cheerleading World 2009 : shooting stars cheer world 2009 espn

YouTube - Unforgettable World Series Of Poker Confrontations

Old 06-26-2010, 10:55 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,921,577 times
Somebody told the media that George Bush liked soccer.

Kiss of death.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:09 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,246,464 times
Those things are all more intense than soccer, and take a greater amount of athleticism.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:55 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,269,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'd like to have a serious conversation about this.
I doubt that.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:28 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,727,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'd like to have a serious conversation about this
Does US media promote hate against soccer?

Sometimes I watch ESPN and other sports news on other channels.
And they show fishing, cheerleading, curling, spelling bee, World's strongest man (2-3 year old videos), etc, etc.

And I don't hear anybody complaining about that,
but when it comes to soccer..... the US media refuses to say anything positive and highlights absolutely anything negative about soccer.

I'm 100% convinced that the US media promotes hate against soccer by ignoring all the great positive things about the World Cup and only talking about negative things (soccer ball, vuvuzelas, high crime and AIDS in South Africa, etc).
I think that's a little over the top. ESPN and the media companies in general would love to get people into another sport. Its cheap content and easy eyeballs. Remember its really all about the $$.

I will say between the redneck contigent - "That Thar soccer is a communist sport played by sissy your-o-peein's people" - and the stuck up soccer snobs - "Americans are soooooooooo dumb. Don't these hicks know soccer is truly the world's sport??" - there has to be enough materiel for a good comedy movie or at least a good episode of South Park.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:51 PM

832 posts, read 1,209,268 times
You have to understand that this is the most watched sport event in the world, and, is not that popular in the US. That is going to inevitably lead to some bashing, and as any other World Cup, the game provides plenty of material for bashing purposes. Look around and tell me what sport league does not have bad officiating; NBA? MLB?...Just this baseball season we had one of the worst call in the sport’s history. The umpire got ripped by the media, but the fact has not taken anything from baseball itself. When it comes to the World Cup, we in the US have hard feelings against it, because is virtually the most important sport competition in the world, up there with the Olympics, but we suck at it. So whenever a negative thing happens, like bad officiating, or brawls, etc., the first thing that goes into our minds is “And this is the sport that is so popular around the world? Bah, this sucks!”, and we shut it off. Is like a way of feeling good about ourselves, and letting the world know that we don’t need “stupid soccer”. Nothing that has happened in the World Cup is worst than any other world cup or any other international event for that matter. But as long as we in the US keep feeling an inferiority complex towards soccer, you will keep hearing that the sport is full of all kind of horrific things from hooliganism to racism to you name it.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:32 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,287,786 times
I don't think the US media promotes hate of the game. That is a bit much. I do think many US sports journalist take pride in either not understanding soccer or being ignorant of the game. There are plenty of dumb articles written about the game. It gets really old really fast.

I am still trying to build my understanding of the game. I try to avoid many American sports outlets in this regard. I don't need the extra criticsm of the game while I am trying to learn more about it.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:02 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,802,610 times
I think in general there are fans of this sport in the cities where MLS has teams. Take the Seattle Sounders FC. They are arguably the worst in the MLS right now. But our fans keep selling out the seats.

Then there's "the others." "The other" cities who don't have MLS don't get the exposure to the game and thus don't really have an understanding of the sport.

All I will say is once Americans realize that this sport is just like NASCAR in that they can watch something where people are running around while getting blastingly drunk, they'll warm up to the sport. That and this sport is more exciting than NASCAR.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,772,100 times
Aside from your Jim Rome type sports radio blowhards, I think the key word is indifference.

It's a generational thing. Soccer has only really taken off as a youth sport since the solidifying of suburbia in the 1970s and MLS has only been around since 95.

Advertisers aren't stupid, they follow the money. They'll pimp something if they can make bank on it. MLS (Soccer in general outside of World Cup) just isn't there yet in terms of overall interest. Soccer sucks though! football kicks ass.

Football is followed by almost everyone everywhere from all walks of life and social strata. Baseball was historically number one despite geographic isolation from certain regions and still commands great interest.

NBA and NHL are more interesting comparisons. NBA has been around since the 40s but according my dad and grandad (along with history I drummed up) it didn't really arrive until at least the 1970s and become must see TV until the 80s with Larry vs. Magic driving that. Then a dude named Jordan came around...

NHL I guess probably had it's biggest national splash in the mid 90s but it's still fairly regional in it's appeal. The Original Six along with Philly, Pittsburgh and ST. Louis are the only people that I see that really made a signifiganct culture surroundng the team. This is likely why opposed to the NBA, the NHL is not as nearly a "national" league.

As for soccer? I doubt it will be regional in the same way NHL is still kinda a northern league. My guess is that it'll be more patchwork if it goes the way of the NHL. Soccer is going to need another generation of culture change combined with continued improvement both on and off the field to get on even footing with the NHL let alone the NBA>

Last edited by waltlantz; 06-28-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or