U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,382,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I think that England's second non-goal goal should have been called a goal (if that makes sense grammatically). The ball was nearly 2 yards behind the line and the ref's assistant is 10 yards away and forward, that's why he didn't see it.

I seriously think FIFA should allow instant replay and have white flags to be thrown by the coaches when they disagree, and allow two of those in a match. I also think that they should allow electronic goal marking to ensure stuff like this doesn't happen again.

In the end, though, it was fated that England lose to a strong and talented German side. I do not think germany will go all the way, though, as they obviously don't have the experience to do that. As usual, this world cup will be predictable in who will win:

Brazil
Portugal
Argentina

One of those three.
Instant replay would take too long and interrupt the flow of what is a beautiful game when played properly. Look how replay holds up the NFL. Anyway, what are the coaches going to throw flags about...offside calls?

What they need to avoid what happened to England is the kind of goal line technology that already exists but is being held up by FIFA. Primarily by FIFA President Blatter.

As to your predictions, I agree with Argentina and Brazil, by why Portugal? They've never won a World Cup, never even been to a final. What makes you think this year will be any different? Impressed by Ronaldo's diving?

I think Spain will soon relieve both you and Portugal of that notion anyway..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 12:08 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,014,142 times
Instant replay= Bad... I will be damned if they turn soccer into even a hint of the constant "stop and go" nonsense of American football.

Having a goal judge back there, or somewhere in the stadium might be a good idea though.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:11 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,337,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Instant replay= Bad... I will be damned if they turn soccer into even a hint of the constant "stop and go" nonsense of American football.

Having a goal judge back there, or somewhere in the stadium might be a good idea though.
I think this is a good idea. Why not have an official right behind each goal. That could also help the ref with decisions over penalties as the official would be right there.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:17 PM

47 posts, read 128,779 times
lampard's goal:

http://u.kaskus.us/5/3vt7za5s.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 PM

544 posts, read 986,530 times
Haha...let me guess...this is the 'official' picture coming from the FIFA website!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,887,058 times
Yes, it was a bad call, but the better team won just like Argentina did. I have no problems with Germany and Argentina playing in the quarterfinal.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,558,657 times
Quote:

All you need is an official watching the broadcast TV,with the ability to ask for an instant replay on the screen.The refs already are wearing earsets and mikes.The booth ref simply sends down a signal of "GOAL" if it is as evident as the Germany match.If it isn't clear as day and instantly seeable,then no reversal.No 5 minutes of slo-mo review from every angle available as in the NFL.Obvious=goal,or reversed call;not instantly obvious=no reversal.The booth ref can make this call in 10 seconds,which would have no effect on the flow of the game.No other calls except goal/no goal should be reviewable.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 PM

4,277 posts, read 5,170,394 times
Quote:

I don't like when they bring instant reply into sports. I think it really takes away from the game itself. My husband likes football, so sometimes I have to watch it. Oh my goodness the instant replay is insane.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 AM

22 posts, read 40,172 times
In this match I was for Germany. Poor England they score a goal which was not recognized. It just happened. What is interesting is that it happened to the same teams in 1966. It happened also to our team (Slovenia) playing with Italy for qualifying to WC 1998.

Nevertheless I am absolutely against instant replay or any other technical help (radar technology etc). But please not the in the European cups (UEFA) next season we will use 6 referees instead of the FIFA's 4. Two of them will be placed on the goal lines.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:00 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,749,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think this is a good idea. Why not have an official right behind each goal. That could also help the ref with decisions over penalties as the official would be right there.

They are experimenting with this over the course of the next year in a few leagues. If it works out, it will probably be added worldwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or