U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 08:56 AM

544 posts, read 987,298 times

Advertisements

It's halftime and so far this game is incredible! Exciting, aggressive, spirited play from both sides. The German team seems a bit better organized (and better at ball-handling) overall but England is scrappy and determined.

But I'm a bit confused...how can that 2nd 'goal' by England not be called a goal? I'm sorry, but if the non-goal is allowed to stand (if my eyes didn't deceive me) then FIFA definitely needs to start using instant replay. Either that, or they need to find much better referees. OMG...was it even questionable? I don't know, because I'm watching the game on Univision and my Spanish is so-so. Maybe there's some obscure rule as to why that wasn't a goal?!!!

Anyhow, my mind picked Germany to win (and actually proceed all the way to the final, along with Argentina), but my heart is with England. Hope the 2nd half is as wild and fun as the first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM

21,482 posts, read 19,342,369 times
I haven't seen the match as it was not on TV, but it seems to have been a wild second half, judging from the final result, 4:1 for Germany.
I like the new Germany, they have blacks in their team, ethnic Turks, and all kind of people

Last edited by Neuling; 06-27-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 AM

3,904 posts, read 6,203,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
It's halftime and so far this game is incredible! Exciting, aggressive, spirited play from both sides. The German team seems a bit better organized (and better at ball-handling) overall but England is scrappy and determined.

But I'm a bit confused...how can that 2nd 'goal' by England not be called a goal? I'm sorry, but if the non-goal is allowed to stand (if my eyes didn't deceive me) then FIFA definitely needs to start using instant replay. Either that, or they need to find much better referees. OMG...was it even questionable? I don't know, because I'm watching the game on Univision and my Spanish is so-so. Maybe there's some obscure rule as to why that wasn't a goal?!!!

Anyhow, my mind picked Germany to win (and actually proceed all the way to the final, along with Argentina), but my heart is with England. Hope the 2nd half is as wild and fun as the first.
It looks like Germany made "Bangers & Mash" out of England to the tune of 4 to 1.:-)

Old 06-27-2010, 10:40 AM

10 posts, read 13,062 times
One of the best games so far...

@ Neuling how come it's not on your TV dude, that's impossible

Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercis View Post
One of the best games so far...

@ Neuling how come it's not on your TV dude, that's impossible
Well, the four free programs broadcast via antenna here only show every other match or so, no idea how they pick which ones They will show today's second match, though.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:50 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,385,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post

They need goal line technology. If that England goal had been properly awarded, we have a completely different match. England would not have been forced to push forward looking for an equalizer, which left them open at the back, eventually leading to Germany's final two goals.

Btw, if Argentina beats Mexico..they'll meet Germany next.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:52 AM

It said on the news site that the goal not awarded was a kind of revenge for Wembley 1966

Old 06-27-2010, 11:16 AM

544 posts, read 987,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
They need goal line technology. If that England goal had been properly awarded, we have a completely different match. England would not have been forced to push forward looking for an equalizer, which left them open at the back, eventually leading to Germany's final two goals.

Btw, if Argentina beats Mexico..they'll meet Germany next.
Yes, thanks Upton. I keep getting mixed up on who plays who in the advanced rounds. The original chart I had was all wrong so now I have to adjust all my picks!

Anyhow, Germany has impressed me in every match they've played (notwithstanding the one in which the ref took out Klose and they played w/ 10 most of the match). To me, even though Argentina and Germany might meet prior to the final, that's probably the 2 best teams playing each other in that match-up.

In the final against either Germany or Argentina...who knows? Brasil seems like the logical favorite, but I'm not completely convinced by them yet. They may have been hiding their cards against Portugal, but even before then, they didn't look particularly spectacular(apart from some individual play). And this comes from someone whose 2nd favorite team is Brasil.

But...I take heart. I think it would be kind of poetic for Brazil to lose this year and then return gloriously when the World Cup is hosted in Rio. Or, they could win both World Cups and I would be ok with that.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:32 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,802,610 times
I think that England's second non-goal goal should have been called a goal (if that makes sense grammatically). The ball was nearly 2 yards behind the line and the ref's assistant is 10 yards away and forward, that's why he didn't see it.

I seriously think FIFA should allow instant replay and have white flags to be thrown by the coaches when they disagree, and allow two of those in a match. I also think that they should allow electronic goal marking to ensure stuff like this doesn't happen again.

In the end, though, it was fated that England lose to a strong and talented German side. I do not think germany will go all the way, though, as they obviously don't have the experience to do that. As usual, this world cup will be predictable in who will win:

Brazil
Portugal
Argentina

One of those three.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:51 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,347,825 times
Well, if that disallowed goal had stood maybe the result would have been different. But .......

I thought this was a game of two poor defenses and it was a question of which team had the better attack to take advantage. That proved to be Germany who, quite simply, had more skill and penetration in front of goal and, importantly, the pace and width to cause the English defense real problems.

Once again, the limitations of England's midfield and attack were cruelly exposed. There was no guile or cohesion in midfield, there was no width or pace down the flanks and, crucially, England have not solved the problem as to how to make the best use of Rooney's undoubted ability. It is easy to criticize Rooney but, too often, he is stuck up front on his own with no real movement around him.

I thought the center of the German defense looked fragile and the goalkeeper did not impress me. A better team than England could cause them real problems. However, there is a cohesion about this German team that England lacked. They move the ball around well, their running off the ball is decent and they use the flanks well. Up front, Ozil offers that bit of flair that England lacked.

It was a deserved win by Germany and a lesson for England that, just because their players come from the EPL, they are far from being the world beaters that the English media so fondly imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or