Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 12:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
In short,what is the scoop for following soccer/football after the WC?
It won't be any different this year than it was for any previous World Cup. People who want to continue following the game will. Everyone else won't. Past history indicates that soccer is not going to pick up major amounts of new fans in the long run. Supporters of the game deny this, but if they were right, it would have become a major sport in the United States years ago.

Soccer rides on a rollercoaster in this country. And it's going to continue to do so. Anyone who wants to insist that it will attain the level of interest enjoyed by baseball, football and basketball is welcome to keep the faith, but that's not going to change reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 01:04 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It won't be any different this year than it was for any previous World Cup. People who want to continue following the game will. Everyone else won't. Past history indicates that soccer is not going to pick up major amounts of new fans in the long run. Supporters of the game deny this, but if they were right, it would have become a major sport in the United States years ago.

Soccer rides on a rollercoaster in this country. And it's going to continue to do so. Anyone who wants to insist that it will attain the level of interest enjoyed by baseball, football and basketball is welcome to keep the faith, but that's not going to change reality.

Actually, interest in the game increases after every World Cup. What happens is that people that have never really followed the game before decide to start watching games and guess what? They decide they like it and actually become a fan. I know for a fact it happens and have witnessed it over the last 3 weeks.

Are there going to be millions of new soccer fans now in the US? No. But, there will be thousands and even tens of thousands of new fans that either just decide to be casual fans that pick up a game every now and again or there will be those that decide they really like the sport and become real fans. It's just a matter of odds that this happens.

This World Cup gained more interest than ever before. In 2006, we had official watch parties in Kansas City with about 300 people. This year we had over 12,000 people at the official watch party with dozens of other smaller watch parties going on in the city.

I personally know people that have become fans of the sport in the last 3 weeks. I just sent out an e-mail to 4 friends that were quizzing me about how to follow the sport and what to watch for much like the original poster did in this thread. This is 4 people that have been strictly baseball and football fans their entire life.

I have 2 friends that just 5 years ago hated soccer. They bashed the sport and use to make fun of me for watching. I finally drug them to a Wizards game and they had a blast. Both of them are now season ticket holders and don't miss a national team game for the world.

You may think that soccer isnt gaining popularity in this country but statistics and the MLS success proves you wrong.

Are there millions who just jumped on the bandwagon during the World Cup? Absolutely. It's no different than the millions of people that only watch 1 NFL game a year, the Super Bowl.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

Are there millions who just jumped on the bandwagon during the World Cup? Absolutely. It's no different than the millions of people that only watch 1 NFL game a year, the Super Bowl.
Exactly, I don't know why people get so jumpy about soccer getting popular, if you don't like it don't watch it. I watched an NFL game and loved the sport. I used to play baseball as a kid and have been forced to watched the world series and still hate the sport, even when the local team won. For me is extremely boring and slow. Some people can feel the same way about soccer I can see why, not too many goals. I liked soccer since the first match I watched just like American football.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
You may think that soccer isnt gaining popularity in this country but statistics and the MLS success proves you wrong.
Four words for you to consider: North American Soccer League.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Four words for you to consider: North American Soccer League.
four words and an acronym for you to consider: Nothing to do with MLS

That's like saying the NFL is going to fail because the XFL failed.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
four words and an acronym for you to consider: Nothing to do with MLS

That's like saying the NFL is going to fail because the XFL failed.
With Fred, it's like constant déjà vu. He's always repeating the same fallacious argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer