U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,770,576 times

Advertisements

I think most people know MLS is growing, yet it remains behind hockey in American sports life.

This leads to some wondering whether status quo is best with salary cap and gradual development, or it should take another approach to growth ala promotion/relegation and soccer institutes like Europe.

Also, would dynasties be good for MLS so early in the game?

I think it could hurt because unlike baseball (Yankees) or basketball (Bulls) MLS doesn't have that huge of a spectator foothold at all. I think more people should learn to care about soccer and have everyone in a good position to compete. Having an EPL Big Four or Rangers/Celtic type dominance I think could potentially cripple the league.

What do you all think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 AM

827 posts, read 1,207,325 times
I say promote some type of college recruiting program a la NFL. That to me is the key of success in American football and basketball. The sport needs to be popular at the college level before it becomes big at the professional level. That’s how it works in the US.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,866,938 times
They have to be careful about overexpansion. See the NASL

Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I say promote some type of college recruiting program a la NFL. That to me is the key of success in American football and basketball. The sport needs to be popular at the college level before it becomes big at the professional level. Thatís how it works in the US.
Umm, no.

The best thing for soccer in this country would be for good players to develop in academies and not play at the college level. Some of the best players in the MLS have either skipped college or only played a year or two.

In the rest of the world, soccer players are scouted in their early teens. Many players will sign professional contracts at 12,13, or even 14 years of age and go live with the team, go to school with the team, and start playing professionally in their late teens.

If we are going to be competitive on the world stage, we need to develop our talent in academies.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I think most people know MLS is growing, yet it remains behind hockey in American sports life.

This leads to some wondering whether status quo is best with salary cap and gradual development, or it should take another approach to growth ala promotion/relegation and soccer institutes like Europe.

Also, would dynasties be good for MLS so early in the game?

I think it could hurt because unlike baseball (Yankees) or basketball (Bulls) MLS doesn't have that huge of a spectator foothold at all. I think more people should learn to care about soccer and have everyone in a good position to compete. Having an EPL Big Four or Rangers/Celtic type dominance I think could potentially cripple the league.

What do you all think.
I disagree that soccer is behind hockey. I think they are on the same level.

The MLS is the fastest growing professional sports league in the history of the US. According to the Sports Business Journal, it is also the best ran league. No, it isnt perfect but it is making many of the right moves.

The MLS just needs to keep doing what it is doing and go from there.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 24 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,135,718 times
I think the MLS has great potential growth because the problems other sports have are soccer's strength

Problems with football and baseball: games are too long and have too many stoppages. Soccer has very consistent game lengths and has no stoppages outside of halftime

Problems with hockey: people can't see the puck and the players hear helmets and padding (hard to tell them apart). A soccer ball is easy to see and you can see the players' faces

Problems with basketball: perception that players are thugs, dominance by a few great players. Soccer doesn't have a thug perception problem and it is very much a team sport that can't be dominated by a couple of players

Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,012,808 times
Another thing MLS has going for it is the youthful enthusiasm of its fanbase. I'd say the average age of fans in an MLS stadium would be somewhere around early 30's. Kids that grew up playing soccer in the mid/late 80's, and watched the world cup in 1994 are much more open to the sport than previous generations and are packing MLS stadiums.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think the MLS has great potential growth because the problems other sports have are soccer's strength

Problems with football and baseball: games are too long and have too many stoppages. Soccer has very consistent game lengths and has no stoppages outside of halftime

Problems with hockey: people can't see the puck and the players hear helmets and padding (hard to tell them apart). A soccer ball is easy to see and you can see the players' faces

Problems with basketball: perception that players are thugs, dominance by a few great players. Soccer doesn't have a thug perception problem and it is very much a team sport that can't be dominated by a couple of players
Interesting opinions, though I will comment on them.

Football is the gold standard of sports in this country, it's the "rule of thumb". Hense while I can perfectly understand the "baseball is too long argument", the argument for football is nullified because of the action (more specifically the bone crunching adrenaline packed type action) being much more engaging especially to modern tv audiences.

With hockey, I guess I can understand what you're saying but that's why in every sport you learn the numbers of each player, not too hard. The puck thing you just learn as you go along.

Basketball; Hmm, I can see the "thug perception" deal although it is overblown to certain extent. (Bball is a part of urban culture, but urban isn't all "thug" in that derogatory sense). Football has that same problem.

Also doesnt the "certain player dominance" occur in big European clubs too? I'll tell ya, people love personalities and americans are no different, case in point when Micheal Jordan retired NBA ratings fell off signifigantly.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Another thing MLS has going for it is the youthful enthusiasm of its fanbase. I'd say the average age of fans in an MLS stadium would be somewhere around early 30's. Kids that grew up playing soccer in the mid/late 80's, and watched the world cup in 1994 are much more open to the sport than previous generations and are packing MLS stadiums.
This could prove fruitful later, It probably is a generational thing.

Us Yanks still gotta get used to that kooky offside rule though.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,188,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
while I can perfectly understand the "baseball is too long argument", the argument for football is nullified because of the action (more specifically the bone crunching adrenaline packed type action) being much more engaging especially to modern tv audiences.
baseball and football games are typically the same length (about 3 hours). Soccer games last about 2 hours.

baseball, hockey and basketball are popular in countries far from their origins.

football is popular in the US and Canada, for sure, but I wouldn't let your passion for it obscure the fact that it's never caught on elsewhere for a reason. It's really not that exciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or