U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:35 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,110,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
That is one of the most brutal loses I've ever seen in sports. I said to myself last week when the US lost to Ghana its better to lose now, because if we go further and lose it will just hurt more.....
My BF said at least with Ghana, his (US') pride is not too damaged compared to losing over something like Brazil, England or Netherlands, LOL! As usual, I was cheering for my boys "The Dream Team".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,375,780 times
Incredible game..the best one I've seen in the World Cup so far!

I really do feel for Ghana, because they put so much heart and energy into it, in addition to having the whole CONTINENT wanting you to win. I really thought that I was going to be witnessing history in the making, as an African team reaches the semi-finals in South Africa! Even I had my moment of joy when Ghana got the first goal, because maybe for once, teams we've never really seen win the world cup (Brazil has won 5, Germany has won 3, Uruguay and Argentina have both won 2) has a shot of making it to the end!

At the same time, you have to hand it to Uruguay. The whole crowd, save for some diehard Uruguayan fans, wanted you to lose. How clutch was that handball by Luis Suarez? That's the type of sacrifice I love to see in sports; instead of not doing anything to stop the ball and make it a 2-1 Ghana win in the last minute, he literally takes one for the team and gets a red card, ensuring that at least the game can go on a little bit longer!

Both teams have my respect. That's the type of camraderie and sports spirits that inspire people worldwide.

I thought the Brazil-Netherlands game was excellent, and was totally expecting a shut-out here. However, I now have a new found respect for athletes worldwide!

No regrets of not studying today Now I have to get to it, hah!

Old 07-02-2010, 03:43 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,393,645 times
What a choke job. There's no excuse for Gyan missing that...none.

Some players step up under pressure while others wilt. Ghana's Gyan is obviously one of the latter.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
What a choke job. There's no excuse for Gyan missing that...none.

Some players step up under pressure while others wilt. Ghana's Gyan is obviously one of the latter.
Umm.. He's the same person who took Ghana to the quarters, so I'm not sure how true your statement is.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:54 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,393,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Umm.. He's the same person who took Ghana to the quarters, so I'm not sure how true your statement is.

Gyan needed to convert one lousy penalty to take Ghana to the semis. The fate of Ghana and the hopes of a continent rested on his foot...and what did he do? He couldn't even hit the target. That is called choking...big time.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Gyan needed to convert one lousy penalty to take Ghana to the semis. The fate of Ghana and the hopes of a continent rested on his foot...and what did he do? He couldn't even hit the target. That is called choking...big time.
Agreed, and I was equally, if not more, disappointed by this. I mean who misses a penalty like that, right? But again, without him Ghana wouldn't have been where they were today, and for that matter he still has my highest respect.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:11 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,909,894 times
That was one insane ending to a match.

I was pulling for Ghana in that game, just a tough tough loss. I can't really blame Gyan for anything, sure he missed - but he at least hit the crossbar rather than had it sail 10 feet over. Just a tough break, a little less power and Ghana would be in the semis.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:47 PM

21,638 posts, read 19,402,684 times
Ghana played better, really sorry they lost. But three screwed penalty kicks in one match, they really should have practiced that more. PK is really not the ideal solution, I have seen so many matches where the better team lost that way, it is almost like a lottery...

Old 07-02-2010, 04:59 PM

631 posts, read 832,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Incredible game..the best one I've seen in the World Cup so far!
Exactly as that was just awesome and breathtaking yet that hand spoilt it a bit.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:17 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,375,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin of Symmetry View Post
Exactly as that was just awesome and breathtaking yet that hand spoilt it a bit.
I don't think it spoiled it.

For those who don't know what we're talking about, here is what is probably soon to be famous picture of it:

It was probably the best thing he could have done at that point. If he didn't touch it, then the ball would have went it, making it a 2-1 Ghana win (since it was the last minute). For that tactical decision, he not only got a red card but was ejected. He was penalized for it!

So it was either "let the ball fly in and not do anything and lose" OR "take my chances and possibly win the game IF Ghana misses the penalty shot from my handball." Calculated risk (with the same negative outcome: Uruguay losing), but it was worth it in the end.

His reaction after the game was priceless though. Wish there was a picture of that floating somewhere on the net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer