U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 PM
 
364 posts, read 414,172 times
Reputation: 90

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
When a soccer player scores a goal he celebrates for 5 minutes, ruining the flow of the game.
You want to talk about flow of the game? You're obviously exaggerating celebration times, which are obviously under 30 seconds. But you watch 90+ non-stop minutes of action, no commercials, timeouts, foul balls, replays, etc and you're worried that celebrations in a game that may only have one, disrupt the flow? Dummy up, football fan :Football Games Have 11 Minutes of Action - WSJ.com . In your average NFL game, the ball is actually in play roughly 11 minutes. You (and I, because I love football) watch a 3-4 hour football game for commercials, replays, and..................players standing around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
There are dozens of soccer players in Europe that act just like TO if not worse, we just don't hear about them here.
Want us to just take your word for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
615 posts, read 442,227 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post
You want to talk about flow of the game? You're obviously exaggerating celebration times, which are obviously under 30 seconds. But you watch 90+ non-stop minutes of action, no commercials, timeouts, foul balls, replays, etc and you're worried that celebrations in a game that may only have one, disrupt the flow? Dummy up, football fan :Football Games Have 11 Minutes of Action - WSJ.com . In your average NFL game, the ball is actually in play roughly 11 minutes. You (and I, because I love football) watch a 3-4 hour football game for commercials, replays, and..................players standing around.

Want us to just take your word for it?
The celebration times are not under 30 seconds. I love to know where this 90+ on non stop action takes place, because it surely doesn't happen in the games I'm watching. The majority of "action" is two passes in the midfield, turnover, two passes, turnover, rinse and repeat. There are soccer matches where NOTHING happens. The players don't "run around" for 90 minutes in soccer either, only guys really moving with any pace are the guys on the ball, there are some (majority at times) players 30 yards away from the ball standing around. Football might have 11 minutes of action but the team that scores the first point doesn't win 90% of the games. You can score a goal in the first 5 minutes of a soccer match then go in a hole making the rest of the game exciting as watching paint dry!You can spend money to watch one of the supposed best in the game play like Rooney, Messi, or Kaka and they barely touch the ball, you might think they weren't even playing. The Germans were the most exciting team in the WC, the game they played today was so freakin boring it was a joke, thats because Spain plays a boring (but effective) style, but it is surely NOT entertaining for the casual fan like me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM
 
364 posts, read 414,172 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
The celebration times are not under 30 seconds.
Wrong. Find me one world cup celebration that is 5 minutes long as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
The majority of "action" is two passes in the midfield, turnover, two passes, turnover, rinse and repeat. There are soccer matches where NOTHING happens.
As an admitted casual fan, you really shouldn't go on about things you don't understand. So a football game 0-0 at halftime or baseball game 0-0 in the 7th inning means nothing happened in those 2 hours? As a football fan, you don't appreciate the defensive battle of teams having to go 3 and out back and forth, or as you say, "rinse and repeat?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
...the team that scores the first point doesn't win 90% of the games.
For some reason, you continue to spit out rectum derived statistics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I love to know where this 90+ on non stop action takes place, because it surely doesn't happen in the games I'm watching.
Again, you mentioned flow of the game. Whether the play is exciting is a matter of opinion, but the fact is, the ball is in play without clock stoppages. There are many people who think football is boring, let alone realizing that mostly what they watch are commercials, replays etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
When a soccer player scores a goal he celebrates for 5 minutes, ruining the flow of the game. There are dozens of soccer players in Europe that act just like TO if not worse, we just don't hear about them here. Frank Ribbery is considered on of the better players in the world, and he was recently caught having sex with an underage prostitute. No one is more arrogant then soccer players, some even wear hair thingies so their hair doesn't get out of place!

No player has ever celebrated a goal for 5 minutes. He would not be allowed too. After a minute he would likely receive a yellow card for delay of game.

Goal celebrations are 30 seconds or less, 99% of the time.

They wear things for their hair so it doesnt get in their face. Just as basketball players do. If it werent for hats and helmets, football and baseball players would have to do the same thing.

You really make yourself look foolish with these post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
The celebration times are not under 30 seconds. I love to know where this 90+ on non stop action takes place, because it surely doesn't happen in the games I'm watching. The majority of "action" is two passes in the midfield, turnover, two passes, turnover, rinse and repeat. There are soccer matches where NOTHING happens. The players don't "run around" for 90 minutes in soccer either, only guys really moving with any pace are the guys on the ball, there are some (majority at times) players 30 yards away from the ball standing around. Football might have 11 minutes of action but the team that scores the first point doesn't win 90% of the games. You can score a goal in the first 5 minutes of a soccer match then go in a hole making the rest of the game exciting as watching paint dry!You can spend money to watch one of the supposed best in the game play like Rooney, Messi, or Kaka and they barely touch the ball, you might think they weren't even playing. The Germans were the most exciting team in the WC, the game they played today was so freakin boring it was a joke, thats because Spain plays a boring (but effective) style, but it is surely NOT entertaining for the casual fan like me!

You do realize that they measure the distances that players cover in games, right? The average player runs anywhere from 6 to 8 miles in a match. Some players cover up to 12 miles in a single game.

Everyone is moving in a soccer game. The players off the ball are moving more than players on the ball because they have to make runs in order for the game to flow. Making effective runs is one of the most important, if not the most important tactic in the sport.

There is never a soccer game where "NOTHING" happens. There is never a sporting event where nothing happens unless it is canceled. You just have to be bright enough to understand it.

You really need to exit this forum and go elsewhere. Every time you post, you make yourself look like a complete fool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2010, 04:44 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,489,436 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Actually, the British invented baseball. It started out as a schoolyard game for little kids called "rounders" in the 1740's. It wasn't imported to the states until the mid 1800's where it was called "town ball".

Is'nt that cricket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 02:23 AM
 
Location: Miami / Florida / U.S.A.
684 posts, read 1,292,592 times
Reputation: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG4251 View Post
What do baseball, football, and basketball have in common? They have multiple stops in action throughout the course of a game and match. These allow for commercials and Billions of dollars in revenue per year. Unless soccer is adapted to this format it will never work here.
This is the reason why ESPN is always bashing world football. ESPN just can't broadcast a bizillion geico/pepsi/budweiser/you-name-it commercials during a football game and that's why the don't want USA nationals to watch the world football. The NFL version is more profitable due to the 67 minutes of commercials per game, and that is why ESPN wants you to watch "U.S. American FootBALL" ...hell yeahh .. You must watch it... If you don't watch the NFL football, YOU are Anti U.S.American! If you watch the world football, you are also Anti-U.S. American! Lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
This is the reason why ESPN is always bashing world football. ESPN just can't broadcast a bizillion geico/pepsi/budweiser/you-name-it commercials during a football game and that's why the don't want USA nationals to watch the world football. The NFL version is more profitable due to the 67 minutes of commercials per game, and that is why ESPN wants you to watch "U.S. American FootBALL" ...hell yeahh .. You must watch it... If you don't watch the NFL football, YOU are Anti U.S.American! If you watch the world football, you are also Anti-U.S. American! Lol...
Have you somehow not noticed that ESPN now shows EPL matches in addition to the World Cup?

Anyway, do you think those commercial messages plastered on the club kits and placed along the pitch -- all viewable on the screen -- come for free? All professional sports leagues find ways to squeeze as many nickels as they can out of the public. It's all about the money, no matter which professional sports league you follow. U.S. sports just do it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
615 posts, read 442,227 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Have you somehow not noticed that ESPN now shows EPL matches in addition to the World Cup?

Anyway, do you think those commercial messages plastered on the club kits and placed along the pitch -- all viewable on the screen -- come for free? All professional sports leagues find ways to squeeze as many nickels as they can out of the public. It's all about the money, no matter which professional sports league you follow. U.S. sports just do it differently.
Rep comming your way, I wanted to make the same point.

There are advertisements plastered all over the European soccer games, even the teams jerseys have advertisements on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
 
Location: Quiet Corner Connecticut
1,335 posts, read 2,903,066 times
Reputation: 435
You are starting to see the advertisements on jerseys in America now. And I'm not talking about golf or Nascar here. The WNBA started a trend, I wouldn't be surprised if other major leagues follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top