U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:50 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,792,620 times

Advertisements

How about someone actually scoring a goal in regulation time? I mean the goal is the size of a bus and the ball is tiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 04:09 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,321,362 times
I don't hate the PK's to decide a game, but what I suggest is getting rid of the offsides, in OT (at least in the penalty area)....then after that, PK's.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,891,389 times
it's stupid. they need to take away the stupid "offsides" rule to allow for more scoring.
penalty kicks to decide a game is like giving football teams 5 field goals to kick, whoever makes the most out of 5 wins.
retarded

Old 07-13-2010, 09:33 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,750,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
it's stupid. they need to take away the stupid "offsides" rule to allow for more scoring.
penalty kicks to decide a game is like giving football teams 5 field goals to kick, whoever makes the most out of 5 wins.
retarded
The offside rule is there for a reason. I dont expect you to have the mental capacity to understand it.

Why dont they get rid of the neutral zone infraction for offense players in American football?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM

4,969 posts, read 7,321,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
The offside rule is there for a reason. I dont expect you to have the mental capacity to understand it.

Why dont they get rid of the neutral zone infraction for offense players in American football?
The field is so wide, in soccer to begin with, that I don't think offsides needs to be enforced like it is in soccer (at least MLS soccer).
It should be more similiar to an offsides in hockey, not on the whole field, even when you're 20 feet from the goalie.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:38 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,750,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
The field is so wide, in soccer to begin with, that I don't think offsides needs to be enforced like it is in soccer (at least MLS soccer).
It should be more similiar to an offsides in hockey, not on the whole field, even when you're 20 feet from the goalie.
First, field width has nothing to do with it. Removing offside or even changing it as you mention would destroy the game. It is SUPPOSE to be hard to score. That is what makes the game so great. A well-timed run to beat offside is one of the most beautiful things that can happen in any sport. The game is fine how it is, nothing needs to change in regards to the rules.

Second, MLS does not play a different version of soccer as the rest of the world. FIFA controls the rules of the game and every league from every country follows the same rules setforth by FIFA.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:49 AM

322 posts, read 706,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
After 30 minutes of OT, the average player has run 10+ miles. While these players are some of best athletes in the world, the game would suffer if you kept pushing them to exhaustion. You have to decide it without killing them.
Maybe then teams would stop playing so defensively and playing for penalties. If the alternative is to continue playing for hours on end (like in the NHL playoffs), I bet those teams would get offensively oriented in a hurry! Especially since the winner would have another game coming up in a few days that they would like to be rested for.

Unfortunately it may be tough TV-wise, as networks would have to keep clear who knows how many hours because they would have no idea how long the game would go. I would, however, make it 30 minutes longer and bring the golden goal back so there is no chance a team will be able to come back and tie the score up once again later in extra time.

Quote:
The only thing that could really be done is to allow 3 more subs and let them play an hour of ET instead of 30 minutes. Even then it is more about endurance than skill.
No subs, in my opinion, and it should be more about endurance than about luck (penalty kicks). Soccer is the only sport that uses a tiebreaker that has little to do with the game itself. It's like deciding the NBA Finals by a free-throw shooting contest (five players get one free throw each and whichever teams makes the most wins).

Quote:
Second, MLS does not play a different version of soccer as the rest of the world. FIFA controls the rules of the game and every league from every country follows the same rules setforth by FIFA.
By the way, this is one thing I love about soccer here - the rules on the field are not "Americanized." They may have a stupid playoff system (in my opinion, but I've learned to deal lol), but at least the game itself rules-wise is the same as is played in England, Italy, South Africa, Japan and everywhere else.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,558,969 times
Quote:
First, field width has nothing to do with it. Removing offside or even changing it as you mention would destroy the game. It is SUPPOSE to be hard to score. That is what makes the game so great. A well-timed run to beat offside is one of the most beautiful things that can happen in any sport. The game is fine how it is, nothing needs to change in regards to the rules.

I think this is one of the things many Americans cannot get their heads around.To them,it isn't interesting unless high scores are being put up.Many have no sense of the game outside of scoring,so they regard it as boring.Same in American football.A 7-3 game is thought of as a boring game,no matter how well played.It probably says something philosophical about the difference in cultures that Europeans can get excited about the play during a game and appreciate a good game even without high scoring,but Americans seemingly can get no satisfaction unless the thrill of much scoring is there,but I'm not philosophical enough to figure that out.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:38 AM

65 posts, read 28,966 times
actualy i agree,today's football(clubs)demands don't get to rest 2 or 3 days and play some more like back in the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or