U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,196,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here's the thing about soccer. Hundreds of thousand of parents in this country spend miserable weekends freezing in drizzle watching their kids play soccer, which the kids enjoy. Even with this kind of dedication, we still can't really get any interest in soccer in this country because it's so boring. It consists of a bunch of stops and starts, for incomprehensible infractions, but hardly any scoring.
That's your opinion. What's boring to you it's not necessarily boring to other people. Since it is quite popular in the rest of the world, obviously hundreds of millions of people in this world disagree with you. Unless of course you think Americans are some kind of superior race or have some kind of higher intelligence and only their opinion is valuable.

If you live in the USA you can play whatever you want and watch whatever you wish. That's what makes America a great country, the freedom to be or do whatever you want, even play marbles or catapis. This is not North Korea or Cuba, nobody is forcing ESPN or children to watch or play soccer. There is a growing soccer interest due to many reasons but nobody is saying it's replacing football or baseball, at least not for the next 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 AM

507 posts, read 769,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingate20 View Post
You seem to spend alot of time in the soccer forum for someone who doesn't care about the sport.

True, I suspect this will be my last visit to it.
What I care about is fairness , anyone who could not see that the World Cup
was about as far from that as possible in sport, in has surrended their life force to the false God of vicarious living.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,356,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotix View Post
First, if you do not dispute what I said about "Americans dont watch soccer, then I fail to see what you are talking about, the fact that Americans do not watch soccer was my one and only contention, hence, my response.

Second, It's implied through context. I stated "I wouldn't bet the 1.69% are Americans", meaning, that not all the 1.69% would be Americans, not that 'All' are not 'Americans', that falls under the category of reading comprehension.

Third, I never disputed your counterpoint because it was not my argument to begin with, hence my response on this thread, period.

Salvage? This is laughable!
For someone who doesn't like soccer so much, you seem to be on my nuts this whole time. Go outside, play a sport or something. Obviously logical fallacies and reading comprehension aren't your strengths!

Have you ever heard of logical opposites? You said that most Americans don't like soccer. This implies that most Americans like something. I said that getting a majority of Americans to like something is difficult. Here's a brief review of logical opposites: Type I and Type II Errors

Quote:
[SIZE=2]The null hypothesis - In the criminal justice system this is the presumption of innocence. In both the judicial system and statistics the null hypothesis indicates that the suspect or treatment didn't do anything. In other words, nothing out of the ordinary happened The null is the logical opposite of the alternative. For example "not white" is the logical opposite of white. Colors such as red, blue and green as well as black all qualify as "not white".
The logical opposite of "most Americans don't watch soccer" is "most Americans do watch not soccer" Since I'm not disputing most Americans don't watch soccer, I'm disputing that its impossible to state that most Americans watch anything together. Is that so hard to understand? When's the last time a majority of X was experienced by all Americans through the TV?
[/SIZE]
http://www.city-data.com/forum/14895645-post14.html
Quote:
*5.2/307 = 1.69% of Americans, I wouldn't bet that the 1.69% watching are Americans either.
Now, let's see if you understand the concept of a contrapositive.
Converse, Inverse, Contrapositive

If A then B
A= I wouldn't bet
B= 1.69% watching are Americans

If not B, then not A
Not B = 1.69% watching are NOT Americans
Not A = I would bet

Your TRUE statement: If 1.69% of those watching the soccer game are NOT Americans, then I would bet on it.

I just proved you wrong. I'm an American. I'm part of the 1.69% that is supposedly not American. American =/= Not American. Do you understand that, or do you need mommy to hold your hand and caress your head while you're reading this?

There's nothing stopping you from doing what you want. But you're wasting time here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
Call me when you have 4 Purple Hearts, miss.
http://www.bitmob.com/images/stories/PEOPLE_and_PHOTOS/Internet_Culture_Images/ITG.jpg (broken link)

Oooh, you're such a BIG man with 4 purple hearts! That automatically makes your opinion more valid than others. By that, I mean it doesn't at all.

Did you guys know I'm a 12 time Olympian? You wanna know why? Because I said so. Take my word for it, so it automatically applies to this topic and makes my opinion worth so much more than yours.

Logical Fallacies

Quote:
An appeal to authority is an argument from the fact that a person judged to be an authority affirms a proposition to the claim that the proposition is true.
Appeals to authority are always deductively fallacious; even a legitimate authority speaking on his area of expertise may affirm a falsehood, so no testimony of any authority is guaranteed to be true.
However, the informal fallacy occurs only when the authority cited either (a) is not an authority, or (b) is not an authority on the subject on which he is being cited. If someone either isnít an authority at all, or isnít an authority on the subject about which theyíre speaking, then that undermines the value of their testimony.

Good job on being relevant and to the point. Not!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 AM

364 posts, read 414,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Did you guys know I'm a 12 time Olympian? You wanna know why? Because I said so. Take my word for it, so it automatically applies to this topic and makes my opinion worth so much more than yours.

Logical Fallacies
hahahaha the picture says it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCur View Post
...anyone who could not see that the World Cup
was about as far from that as possible in sport, in has surrended their life force to the false God of vicarious living.
Sounds like those were purple pills, not hearts.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 AM

684 posts, read 1,292,713 times
Quote:
Ok, I don't know if this question has been asked before but here goes:

Who cares how popular soccer is in America? Before someone answers "obviously you do since you commented on it" let me expand my idea.

I'm an American, born and raised. Most of my friends are American, born and raised. There are some who have followed sports their whole lives, some who have only recently begun following sports more closely OUTSIDE of the usual finals seasons (such as myself), and some who don't follow any sports as all. All of us seem to get along with our lives just fine and aren't probably going to move their opinions one way or the other.

Now, I enjoy watching soccer. I can't speak for anyone else, but I absolutely love the sport. I have so much admiration for people who can basically run for 90 minutes straight, with only a 15 minute break during half-time, basically coordinating a ball with every single body part BUT your arms and hands. There are no time outs, no times during the game where you can make plays, but just pure on the spot action the whole way. The individual players have A LOT more autonomy in soccer than I feel do in a lot of other sports.

This doesn't mean I don't enjoy other sports either. I'm a HUGE basketball fan (if you see all the Lakers gear I own....), a HUGE American football fan, and enjoy playing baseball for fun. You see, there's nothing mutually exclusive from stopping me enjoying other sports while enjoying soccer. I would've played more soccer as a kid, but I was too fat to run and now I'm too old.

Do I wish soccer was more popular in the US? Sure, because it will expand our pool of talent on the worldwide level, giving America even more pride in how great this nation is.

Do I think its necessary for my own or anyone else's own personal enjoyment to care how popular soccer is in the US? Not really. I'll still enjoy the game whether or not its mainstream in the US.

You see, in America we have this thing called freedom of choice. We can watch soccer because we have the freedom to. Come July 4th, I will be celebrating Independence Day along with most other Americans. The reason why we ARE Americans is because of the freedom it entails. If you don't like soccer, you can simply not watch it. For those who want to enjoy the game, you have every single right to.

Saying that we're anti-American somehow by enjoying this game, well...tough luck. There's really nothing you can do about it to make us NOT watch the game.

That's the beauty of our country.

If you don't like soccer, then there's really nothing from stopping you from changing the channel. It's really that simple.

/end rant
World Football is very very popular in America: Brazil, Argentina,Mexico, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, etc etc.

The U.S. version of football is not very popular in America, only in the U.S.A. and Canada I think... Not sure about canadians. They love hockey.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,877,313 times
Quote:
This implies that the majority of Americans watch or like something, period.

*NOTE The majority of Americans don't follow any major sports.

Super Bowl 2010 Ratings: 106 Million Watch, Top-Rated Telecast EVER

The Super Bowl is the top most watched event in the US and reached 106 million people last year, being the most watched thing EVER in the US.

There are 307 million people in the United States. 106/307= 34.3% of Americans.
pwned

Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 AM

5,008 posts, read 10,789,347 times
I will only say that people who claim soccer isn't a sport, etc. etc. has simply never played it, and thus they simply lash out at what they do not understand.

It's a human trait and I forgive those poor souls who've never had the opportunity or willpower to actually try this athletic, difficult, and intricate sport. I won't bother trying to waste time to convert those people because they've obviously either closed off their small minds or they honestly tried liking it and didn't. We don't need them. And I would similarly hope that they don't try to convert me to liking hand-egg (oops, I mean American football), simply because I find the repulsive commercialization and constant breaks to be annoying.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:34 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
It did become a little trendy to bash soccer shortly after Glenn Beck called it a part of a liberal conspiracy and an unwelcome intrusion to American society. . .
It's been popular to bash soccer long before anyone had ever heard of Glenn Beck, in good part as pushback to the moral blackmail from soccer supporters along the lines of "you just don't like soccer because you're an insular bigot and don't have any interest in anything that didn't originate in America."

I can tell you this much, until they get the pansy-ass diving under control, soccer will struggle to gain the respect of mainstream America.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:44 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,743,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I can tell you this much, until they get the pansy-ass diving under control, soccer will struggle to gain the respect of mainstream America.
That's not going to damage it when we got baseball players pumping themselves full of steroids to cheat, football players carrying guns in their waistbands and shooting themselves, and basketball players faking fouls constantly.

Every sport has a weak point where players try to gain an advantage. Football players fake fouls, as do basketball players. If it was as beneficial in those sports to do it as in soccer, football players and basketball players would be flopping just as much, if not more.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
That's not going to damage it when we got baseball players pumping themselves full of steroids to cheat, football players carrying guns in their waistbands and shooting themselves, and basketball players faking fouls constantly.

Every sport has a weak point where players try to gain an advantage. Football players fake fouls, as do basketball players. If it was as beneficial in those sports to do it as in soccer, football players and basketball players would be flopping just as much, if not more.
Yes, it will damage soccer's image here. It already has. And please, "acting" in football and basketball is not nearly as blatant as it is in soccer and you know it. Acting like a mortally wounded animal when you've barely been touched (or haven't been touched at all) isn't tolerated in any sport that's popular here. Not by the players and certainly not by the fans -- you'll get your ass booed straight off the playing field. And it won't be tolerated in soccer either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or