U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2010, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,839,669 times
Reputation: 2333

Advertisements

Robb's always right and he KNOWS EVERYTHING... Don't ya'll know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Robb's always right and he KNOWS EVERYTHING... Don't ya'll know?

Think what you want but everything in my last post truth. Go ahead and pick it apart if it isnt. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,839,669 times
Reputation: 2333
I know.. I am defending you, you know best.. you know EVERTYTHING you master of the Soccer Forum, you! *drum rolls*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,237 posts, read 3,217,680 times
Reputation: 1451
Soccer Players are great athletes and they certainly have a lot of skill and ability.

The problem is that none of the above makes the sport any more interesting for me to watch. My soccer friends tell me that the game is not all about scoring - its about the fight for ball possession. I guess I can understand this, but I can't seem to find any of it very interesting.

There just seems to be too many people fighting for the ball and too little scoring or breakaway action.

Its a world-wide phenomenon - I get it.
The players are awesome athletes - I get it.
It is not easy to play - I get it.
I don't fully understand the game - maybe, but it still puts me to sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,161,233 times
Reputation: 29449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Soccer Players are great athletes and they certainly have a lot of skill and ability.

The problem is that none of the above makes the sport any more interesting for me to watch. My soccer friends tell me that the game is not all about scoring - its about the fight for ball possession. I guess I can understand this, but I can't seem to find any of it very interesting.

There just seems to be too many people fighting for the ball and too little scoring or breakaway action.

Its a world-wide phenomenon - I get it.
The players are awesome athletes - I get it.
It is not easy to play - I get it.
I don't fully understand the game - maybe, but it still puts me to sleep.
Soccer for me is a lot like golf or ping-pong: a lot more interesting to play than to spectate. I actually played organized soccer for 7 years and I still can't sit through an entire game as a spectator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Indianapolis
3,675 posts, read 7,839,669 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Soccer Players are great athletes and they certainly have a lot of skill and ability.

The problem is that none of the above makes the sport any more interesting for me to watch. My soccer friends tell me that the game is not all about scoring - its about the fight for ball possession. I guess I can understand this, but I can't seem to find any of it very interesting.

There just seems to be too many people fighting for the ball and too little scoring or breakaway action.

Its a world-wide phenomenon - I get it.
The players are awesome athletes - I get it.
It is not easy to play - I get it.
I don't fully understand the game - maybe, but it still puts me to sleep.
That's cool dude! In life, you won't like every person you meet and not every person you meet is going to like you, same thing with sports and everything else. To each his own and that's okay, that's what makes life interesting, we don't all like the same things.

But "SOME" people *cough...cough* will try to bash your taste and call you out for not liking something that you should in their opinion because they KNOW EVERYTHING and that's the problem. Great post which as a die hard soccer fan/soccer player, I respect and understand! Cheers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
322 posts, read 706,016 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Soccer for me is a lot like golf or ping-pong: a lot more interesting to play than to spectate. I actually played organized soccer for 7 years and I still can't sit through an entire game as a spectator.
Interesting. I never played soccer and it is literally the only sport I can sit through and watch an entire game (actually, I am completely enthralled and engaged the entire 90 minutes). The other sports just bore me, including ones I played myself like baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Chicago
38,690 posts, read 89,161,233 times
Reputation: 29449
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
Interesting. I never played soccer and it is literally the only sport I can sit through and watch an entire game (actually, I am completely enthralled and engaged the entire 90 minutes). The other sports just bore me, including ones I played myself like baseball.
The thing I like about baseball from a spectator perspective, particularly if you're at the stadium, is that the game is so slow-paced that you don't have to stare intently at the field for 3 hours for fear that you'll miss something if you don't. You can go pee or get food between sides; you can have a conversation between pitches; you can just sit and relax and have a beer while the game plays out at its own leisure. If I want something with a frenetic pace, I prefer hockey. Football is a sport I'd actually rather watch on TV than at the stadium, at least NFL games. I like going to college football games much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2010, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
That's cool dude! In life, you won't like every person you meet and not every person you meet is going to like you, same thing with sports and everything else. To each his own and that's okay, that's what makes life interesting, we don't all like the same things.

But "SOME" people *cough...cough* will try to bash your taste and call you out for not liking something that you should in their opinion because they KNOW EVERYTHING and that's the problem. Great post which as a die hard soccer fan/soccer player, I respect and understand! Cheers...
"SOME" = me

That's kind of funny because this poster posted the exact same thing in another thread and my response was the exact same as yours before you posted this.

See post #152: http://www.city-data.com/forum/sport...l-us-so-8.html


I only call out people that post incorrect information. I dont have a problem with people not liking soccer. Just as you said, it isnt for everyone and I have posted that at least a dozen times. I do, however, have a problem with people posting incorrect information and when that happens, I will call someone out on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Brighton, UK
119 posts, read 231,164 times
Reputation: 82
Sorry to butt in, but to all those saying that football simply doesn't have the 'integrity' to become accepted in the US, what about Rugby? People in England laugh at American Footballers because they wear pads...so it goes both ways.
In fact, what about Gaelic Football? An even more vicious, 'manly' game, and they don't even get paid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top