U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 01:18 PM

16 posts, read 24,257 times

Advertisements

Discuss

Old 07-03-2010, 01:27 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,361,401 times
American football=dumb
soccer=class

Old 07-03-2010, 01:46 PM

615 posts, read 442,851 times
I watch both, i think American football is way more entertaining. Even though I follow soccer its a very boring and retarded sport, they can play an entire game and the game be decided by some silly or own goal. You also have a lot of teams that play to now win, which makes the game very boring. You have the constant diving, and back and forth without any chance of scoring, etc. I still will watch it though.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:46 PM

481 posts, read 1,043,508 times
(definition of retarded) watching a sport you think is very boring

Old 07-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin loon View Post
(definition of retarded) watching a sport you think is very boring
Not really, the uniqueness of the World Cup makes soccer more interesting that it would usually be. Soccer doesn't allow for athletic ability to shine through, because there are too many players on the field, and the field is too big. That is why teams that aren't that good can compete with "world class" teams, becuae a team can play a certain style that makes the game as entertaining as watching grass grow. Look at the Paraguay and Spain match, Paraguay hadn't given up a goal in 5 hours of playing, then they give up a retarded goal where the goalie is 15 yars from the net to lose the game.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:53 PM

2,517 posts, read 9,913,318 times
I enjoy soccer much much more. Football is boring to me.

From ESPN's Bill Simmons blog today :

"I love the Cup because it stripped away all the things about professional sports that I've come to despise. No sideline reporters. No JumboTron. No TV timeouts. No onslaught of replays after every half-decent play. No gimmicky team names like the "Heat" or the "Thunder." (You know what the announcers call Germany? The Germans. I love this.) No announcers breathlessly overhyping everything or saying crazy things to get noticed. We don't have to watch 82 mostly half-assed games to get to the playoffs. We don't have 10 graphics on the screen at all times. We don't have to sit there for four hours waiting for a winner because pitchers are taking 25 seconds to deliver a baseball.

The World Cup just bangs it out: Two cool national anthems, two 45-minute halves, a few minutes of extra time and usually we're done. Everything flies by. Everything means something. It's the single best sporting event we have by these four measures: efficiency, significance, historical context and truly meaningful/memorable/exciting moments. You know … as long as you like soccer"

Old 07-03-2010, 03:50 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,910,960 times
No comparison. Football is a concussion sport that requires courage and the ability to absorb punishment without flinching. Soccer is a child's game with miles of running around in scanty shorts trying to sneak up behind someone and trip them.

American football is for men. Broken arm? Rub a litte dirt on it, and pay the next game with a cast.

Soccer is for girly boys. Ooh ooh ooh. Somebody pushed little me. Watch me roll on the ground and contort my face in agony. Now I scream at you and wag my finger. Oh, dear. Someone is showing me a yellow postcard.

Little boy blue, come blow my vuvuzela...

Old 07-03-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
No comparison. Football is a concussion sport that requires courage and the ability to absorb punishment without flinching. Soccer is a child's game with miles of running around in scanty shorts trying to sneak up behind someone and trip them.

American football is for men. Broken arm? Rub a litte dirt on it, and pay the next game with a cast.

Soccer is for girly boys. Ooh ooh ooh. Somebody pushed little me. Watch me roll on the ground and contort my face in agony. Now I scream at you and wag my finger. Oh, dear. Someone is showing me a yellow postcard.

You're being too harsh, the problem I have with soccer is the way certain teams play. A team can play a style that is incredibly boring. Take Italy for example, they seem to win every other WC, and the way they play the game is pathetic, they hardly try to even score, they dive and flop around life fish to get a penalty kick. Another misconseption people have is that soccer players are running around for 90 minutes straight, which is BS. Most of the time, most of the players aren't even involved in the play, and our standing with their hands on their knees.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:13 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,014,416 times
American football= 3 hours of commercial breaks and standing around. Very very borning. I have been forced to go to a few NFL and numerous college football games (i live right across the street from a D-1 stadium) and have tried and tried to get into it but, I simply can't stand the watching "athletes" stand around for hours and hours. Soccer has constant action, no commercial breaks (escept for 15 min. at halftime), great athletes (60 percent of NFL players are disgistingly fat, and not to mention all the thugs and felons that infest the NFL). And, in the grand scheme of things, nobody really cares about American football (it is popular in one whole country).

Old 07-03-2010, 04:13 PM

481 posts, read 1,043,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Ignorance is bliss, keep taking your medication you will get better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or