U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Washington state
7,208 posts, read 8,377,896 times
Reputation: 1892

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I watch La Liga and know that these players dive.

However, an injury is not required for a yellow card. Holland was hacking like crazy and not going for the ball.

Holland should have had a red card with De Jong's karate kick. It was clearly a red card offense. That would have ended the game as Spain likely would have scored 3 or 4 goals being up 1 man for nearly the entire match.
If you watch La Liga and you know about the diving, then why are you defending it? Players on both sides were flopping all over the place yesterday because Webb not only let them get away with it, but he actually rewarded it.

Nothing wrong with a little physical football. The Dutch were playing their style. Which would have resulted in a win had Robben taken a least one of his two glorious chances..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
If you watch La Liga and you know about the diving, then why are you defending it? Players on both sides were flopping all over the place yesterday because Webb not only let them get away with it, but he actually rewarded it.

Nothing wrong with a little physical football. The Dutch were playing their style. Which would have resulted in a win had Robben taken a least one of his two glorious chances..

I never defended any diving at all. Holland was hacking the hell out of the Spain players. They had a ton of cardable offenses that never even got called. Had the game been called properly, the Dutch could have easily been down to 8 men when the game ended.

The Spanish were the better side, clearly. They won and it was well deserved. It was a physical game with some bad calls but Webb did the best he could under the circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:23 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,322,955 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Gee, one example. That must mean the Dutch deserved every single card they got. It also must mean they deserved the bad call on what should have been a Dutch corner which led directly to the Spanish goal. It also proves the Spanish never dive..lol

You have to do better than that

Oh, and Iniesta shouldn't have even been on the pitch if Webb had been handling this match fairly.
Honestly, I think you are talking nonsense. The Dutch set out to make it a physical game. Van Bommel should not even had been in the starting line-up after his assault on a Uruguayan player the match before and he should have been sent off in this game too after multiple assaults. De Jong should have been off too. There was nothing in the Spanish play that came near the ugly fouling that the Dutch were engaged in. The Dutch should have been at 9 men by half-time and, had it not been a World Cup final, I am sure the referee would have obliged.

The best team won. The only team that tried to play football won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Washington state
7,208 posts, read 8,377,896 times
Reputation: 1892
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I never defended any diving at all. Holland was hacking the hell out of the Spain players. They had a ton of cardable offenses that never even got called. Had the game been called properly, the Dutch could have easily been down to 8 men when the game ended.

The Spanish were the better side, clearly. They won and it was well deserved. It was a physical game with some bad calls but Webb did the best he could under the circumstances.
Tons of cardable offenses. I love the way you seem to think it was all on the Dutch.

You claim you don't defend diving, but you hesitate to condemn yesterday's performance by the Spanish.

You ignore Iniesta's retaliation on Van Brommel...

You ignore the bad call on what should have been a Dutch corner...leading directly to Spains goal.

Webb handed out way too many yellows at the beginning. Putting him in a position where, because he didn't want to send anyone off in the final, he was forced to ignore offenses by players already carrying yellows. Despite the fact that the second offense was often worse than the first. This happened on several occasions to players of both sides.

Webb should have done what good referees do. He should have warned the individual players verbally first, instead of hauling out yellows at the slightest provocation.

Finally, rewarding diving is bad for the sport. I should think you would realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 12:04 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 6,186,903 times
Reputation: 648
The best actors (Golden Globe goes to Iniesta) won the world cup.

If Spain was the better team they would've scored in the 2 hours of play they had before they were given a one man advantage.

If Puyol was given his second yellow in the 80th minute, Robben gotten his free kick and Spain played man down for 13 minutes or whatever it wound up being. Watching that replay was like watching a missed tackle in the NFL. What was the ref looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,322,955 times
Reputation: 13682
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
The best actors (Golden Globe goes to Iniesta) won the world cup.

If Spain was the better team they would've scored in the 2 hours of play they had before they were given a one man advantage.

If Puyol was given his second yellow in the 80th minute, Robben gotten his free kick and Spain played man down for 13 minutes or whatever it wound up being. Watching that replay was like watching a missed tackle in the NFL. What was the ref looking at?
So many ifs ....

If Van Bommel and De Jong had been sent off as they should have been in the first half .................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Washington state
7,208 posts, read 8,377,896 times
Reputation: 1892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So many ifs ....

If Van Bommel and De Jong had been sent off as they should have been in the first half .................
Yeah. Like IF Webb had done like he was supposed to and booked Spanish players for waving their arms and asking for yellow cards.

IF a player asks for a yellow card for an opponent he himself is also subject to being booked.

That didn't happen yesterday, and the beneficiaries of Webb's lapses were the Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
None of that happened yesterday, and the beneficiaries of Webb's lapses were the Spanish.
Being that he could have screwed Holland from the start by sending off De Jong, that statement is false. By the rules, De Jong's challenge was a red card challenge. He gave Holland a huge gift by letting that go so early in the match. If that red had been given, the game is over right then and there.

The game was out of hand and both teams were pulling crap. However, Spain had more possession, played better soccer, and deserved the win.

Holland couldnt keep up with Spain and resulted to hacking and bitching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Washington state
7,208 posts, read 8,377,896 times
Reputation: 1892
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Being that he could have screwed Holland from the start by sending off De Jong, that statement is false. By the rules, De Jong's challenge was a red card challenge. He gave Holland a huge gift by letting that go so early in the match. If that red had been given, the game is over right then and there.

The game was out of hand and both teams were pulling crap. However, Spain had more possession, played better soccer, and deserved the win.

Holland couldnt keep up with Spain and resulted to hacking and bitching.
Asking for yellow cards for an opponent while surrounding the referee are bookable offenses. Spain got away with it.

Then we had Iniesta go down like he was shot in an altercation with Van Brommel....but when he noticed Webb didn't see it, he quickly got up and barged into Van Brommel. Another bookable offense. Spain got away with it.

Then there's Puyol, obviously pulling back Robben and denying him a clear scoring opportunity. Another bookable offense. Spain got away with it.

Spain dove, flopped and otherwise cheated their way to the victory. They're a good side but this diving has got to stop. They have a bad reputation for faking already and this has just added to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2010, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,742,687 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Asking for yellow cards for an opponent while surrounding the referee are bookable offenses. Spain got away with it.
Do you not watch soccer? Every team does this in every game. It never gets booked. Holland was doing it too. Hell, they spent a good chunk of this game crying to the official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Then we had Iniesta go down like he was shot in an altercation with Van Brommel....but when he noticed Webb didn't see it, he quickly got up and barged into Van Brommel. Another bookable offense. Spain got away with it.
Yeah and Holland got away with just as many, if not more than that.

It all goes back to the worst tackle of the game and possibly the tournament. De Jong's karate kick. That is a red card. No arguing that. If he gets it, the game is over and all of this doesnt matter. That's my point. Holland got away with something bigger than anything else and saved them from getting absolutely pummeled.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Spain dove, flopped and otherwise cheated their way to the victory. They're a good side but this diving has got to stop. They have a bad reputation for faking already and this has just added to it.
They didnt flop anymore than Holland did. It was bad on both sides.


And before you accuse me of being bias for Spain, I am a fourth generation Dutch on my father's side. But, there is no way I can support that team after the way they behaved on the field yesterday.

Spain got what they deserved, a World Cup title. They were the best team in the tournament and deserved to take it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top