Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 PM

364 posts, read 483,714 times

Advertisements

I think these two make the appropriate final for Sunday. Neither have won one, so that is excitement in itself. Holland looks great, but I think it will be Spain in their first trip to the final.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 02:48 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
wingate...Spain has been playing better than Holland, but for whatever reason, the Gods up above are with Holland this world cup. Luck has been on their side and will continue on through the finals. Hopefully we will get an answer from Paul the Octopus soon.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 PM

364 posts, read 483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
wingate...Spain has been playing better than Holland, but for whatever reason, the Gods up above are with Holland this world cup...
True...should make for an interesting clash in crowning the 1st time champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Hopefully we will get an answer from Paul the Octopus soon.
No kidding. He may turn me into a gambler yet!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:18 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
Though Spain seem superior, I hope they will lose. Just because they beat my favorite team today! That automatically makes me prefer the others...
Actually I don't really care for either team so may the best win.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:27 PM

897 posts, read 1,688,246 times
GO NETHERLANDS!!!! I just have to root for the Dutch.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:10 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Spain are just better all round than Holland IMHO. They have a decent defence, a superb midfield and an attack that scores goals. The Dutch have been very dependent on their midfield to get forward in support of the attack and score goals ....especially Sneider. That will be much harder against a Spain team that like to dominate midfield and ping the ball around. Thus, Van Persie and Robben could find themselves isolated and and neutralized while the Dutch midfield are pushed back by the threat of Vila and Torres supported by Iniesta & co.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:30 PM

568 posts, read 1,206,053 times
Blech...I don't like either team, sorry.

On the one hand there's the Dutch, who I might like and support but for one player, Robben. Every time I see him there's such a huge incongruity in my mind, because on the one hand, he vaguely resembles Captain Jean Luc Picard (Patrick Stewart) from Star Trek, who as a character I admire, but his behavior on the pitch is more like a crybaby drama queen and showboat. Captain Picard would certainly never be caught writhing around on the ground to try to get a penalty called. Anyhow, what's up with the way he runs? He looks like Robben the Robot with his arms all stiff and his feet doing this weird delayed action faux-trickster thing. He's not fooling anybody with that business...very mechanical orange indeed. I have to admit the header goal was nice but I consider that an anomaly. Why can't he be nice and quiet like Snjeider?

As for Spain, I'm a bit sore at them for beating my pick to go all the way, Germany. Now, my beef with Spain is, they do this little ticky-tack short pass ball control thing most of the game and it's boring to watch. They were a little more interesting against Germany today, but still. At least Germany would score lots of goals against weaker opponents. And they could do it with a certain prettiness.

I'm just trying to figure out whose fans will be more insufferable for the next 4 years? That's the team I will go against!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 PM

119 posts, read 379,789 times
Spain mastered the Dutch game of total football (thnx to Senor Cruyff) while Holland have yet to master it. That's what exports do for you.
Then there's the history of the two countries (way back to the 16th C) which is quite interesting in itself.
Anyway, should be a good final. It's great that this WC has been so entertaining (as opposed to the last WC).

Old 07-08-2010, 06:53 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
My 2 cents is Holland will play Spain better than Germany did. Spain will always win the battle of possession, but the Dutch have alot of players with uncommon graft, guile, smarts and skill... so I think Robben, Sneijder, van der Vaart, van Bommell, or van Persie may be able to squeeze a goal or two in one way or the other.

But Spain is looking like the prototypical modern world cup squad, playing a cautious 4-5-1 set. It IS about time the nation with the 2nd best pro league wins it.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:18 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times
Though I'm rooting for the Netherlands, I see no reason to assume the Final is going to be any different than the Germany match. Spain will stay solid at the back and in the midfield, controlling possession while constantly probing for that one big breakthrough.

With more than half of their starters playing for Barcelona, the Spanish know each other well and are used to playing in and having success in the big games.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think that's going to change on Sunday..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer