U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:37 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,750,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Seattle was drawing just over 3,000 people to Qwest in 2007. They are a lesson in MLS marketing, not a pure soccer city.

It's more like they have gotten dozens of lessons fromt he successes and failures of all the original MLS teams.

The expansions teams now have a huge advantage when it comes to building a fanbase. They have over 15 years of lessons to learn from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Led

146 posts, read 377,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Didn't KC play in a gridiron stadium several years ago? It seems like they had much better attendance when they were (1) winning, and (2) in a gridiron stadium.
They sell out basically EVERY single game, they've been a great asset to league for obvious reasons (been in the league for 15 years now), and the owner is that much confident in the team that KC's now building a soccer specific stadium to seat almost 3 times as much. Regardless if KC could support a team or not, it would no way dictate whether St. Louis could support one.. Very flawed argument you have. Take a look at the attendance caps per stadium first before you come to such flawed, ignorant, and biased conclusions. Attendance averages should be measured as a percentage, rather than a raw number.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 PM

65 posts, read 28,966 times
I think there should definitely be a system of descent/ascent of division, because if a club not in the top 5 then why play,since they don't have the fear of being dispromoved so they would fight until the end, one of the things that I do not understand is the change of state and city clubs, is really quite confusing, I know it's the American way, but that way you guys dont' create fans if the teams in two years change of city, there is no such thing in Europe,clubs stays in their cities since they were created and have legions of fans for several generations, and cities take pride in their teams ....
regarding the addition of teams, I know that will come the next year portland timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps, and in two years montreal impact, leaving the league with 19 teams, I think one more and the league it would be done.unless the playing would'n be separated in est/west confederence.... know that will come the next year portland timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps, and in the two years the Montreal Impact, leaving the league with 19 teams,I think one more and the league it would be done.unless the playing would'n be separated in est/west confederence,if not might be possible to add some more, maybe create one in NY, since the NY red bulls jersey so, lol, and clearly a new mexico because it has many Mexicans who love football

Last edited by BMB_nerd; 07-27-2010 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB_nerd View Post
I think there should definitely be a system of descent/ascent of division, because if a club not in the top 5 then why play,since they don't have the fear of being dispromoved so they would fight until the end, one of the things that I do not understand is the change of state and city clubs, is really quite confusing, I know it's the American way, but that way you guys dont' create fans if the teams in two years change of city, there is no such thing in Europe,clubs stays in their cities since they were created and have legions of fans for several generations, and cities take pride in their teams ....
regarding the addition of teams, I know that will come the next year portland timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps, and in two years montreal impact, leaving the league with 19 teams, I think one more and the league it would be done.unless the playing would'n be separated in est/west confederence.... know that will come the next year portland timbers and the Vancouver Whitecaps, and in the two years the Montreal Impact, leaving the league with 19 teams,I think one more and the league it would be done.unless the playing would'n be separated in est/west confederence,if not might be possible to add some more, maybe create one in NY, since the NY red bulls jersey so, lol, and clearly a new mexico because it has many Mexicans who love football

Promotion and relegation would be nice but the business of sports in this country will not allow for it. It is a foreign concept for Americans and people stop following teams if they are not top flight. Owners will not invest money in their teams if there is a risk of them going to a lower level.

In regards to relocation, it is rare in American sports. It only happens in the case of a team being sold or a current owner not able to secure a new stadium deal or lack of support. In MLS, the only relocation that has taken place is the original San Jose Earthquakes to Houston to become the Dynamo. The owners of the Earthquakes could not secure a stadium deal so they moved the team to another city. The only current MLS team I think may be relocated is Chivas USA. This team plays in LA but does not have true ties to the city. The Galaxy are the team of LA. I believe that Chivas might relocate to San Diego someday. Other than that, DC is the only team we may see move because they have had 5 attempts at building a stadium and they have all failed.

The commissioner of the MLS has said that the league will expand to 20 to 24 teams.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:42 PM

2,372 posts, read 3,060,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Seattle was drawing just over 3,000 people to Qwest in 2007. They are a lesson in MLS marketing, not a pure soccer city.
they wern't in MLS then , they were in a different league.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:43 PM

48,227 posts, read 45,519,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Promotion and relegation would be nice but the business of sports in this country will not allow for it. It is a foreign concept for Americans and people stop following teams if they are not top flight. Owners will not invest money in their teams if there is a risk of them going to a lower level.

In regards to relocation, it is rare in American sports. It only happens in the case of a team being sold or a current owner not able to secure a new stadium deal or lack of support. In MLS, the only relocation that has taken place is the original San Jose Earthquakes to Houston to become the Dynamo. The owners of the Earthquakes could not secure a stadium deal so they moved the team to another city. The only current MLS team I think may be relocated is Chivas USA. This team plays in LA but does not have true ties to the city. The Galaxy are the team of LA. I believe that Chivas might relocate to San Diego someday. Other than that, DC is the only team we may see move because they have had 5 attempts at building a stadium and they have all failed.

The commissioner of the MLS has said that the league will expand to 20 to 24 teams.
The more the merrier. I want the USA to be respected on the global scale as far as football(called soccer elsewhere) is concerned. This was part of why I was glued to the World Cup this year. It was part of my process of being a global citizen and as a form of diplomacy. Perhaps in this way, the USA might be seen as part of the international community by being part of the World Cup and doing better each time. England could not even beat the USA.
The USA having a league at the caliber of places like Germany, Spain, and Brazil could be good for the USA.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
It's more like they have gotten dozens of lessons fromt he successes and failures of all the original MLS teams.

The expansions teams now have a huge advantage when it comes to building a fanbase. They have over 15 years of lessons to learn from.
it's like some of the original or very old teams are stigmatized b/c back in the day it wasn't cool/hip/trendy to be a soccer team. I think of Dallas right away. Should be very successful but the stadium being in Frisco many say was the wrong decision.

some of the older teams have to fight the stereotype of being in a league that wasn't cool at the time. They never has success early on and are branded a certain way.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:52 PM

to the OP: a second team in NY is rediculous, they can't even sell out the existing brand new SSS.

they really should've called the team the cosmos.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The more the merrier.

Not necessarily. One of the top reasons businesses fail is too much expansion or too rapid of expansion.

Expansion dilutes the talent pool, changes the dynamic of the league, and reduces the opportunity for stabilization. After 20 teams, I really hope the league stops and takes the time to develop what is there. Get all 20 teams into SSSs. Get all their youth academies up and running and get them all profitable. After that, the league can worry about getting to 24. I really hope they cap the league at no more than 24.

The commissioner said in an interview today that after the 20th team (likely a 2nd NY franchise) the cities that might be possible candidates are Atlanta, San Antonio, San Diego, Detroit, and possibly Miami.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:56 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,575,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
they wern't in MLS then , they were in a different league.
No ****, that's the point. The same team playing the same sport in the same location...but people didn't show up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer