U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:36 PM

275 posts, read 860,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB_nerd View Post
that's ridiculous,what's the point of playing if there aren't consequences???why have second and third division then???
by the way i heard the earthquakes do not have good attendences because they're in a provisory stadium with capacity of 10.000 people,i also read of ways to americanize the sport that are just ridiculous,why bother to have the game if not playing it by the rulles?how can US and canada be respected if they don't play the game correctly?by the way the attendaces aren't bad,my league is considered the 6 in europe and other then the big 3 clubs,we have like 2000 people or 3000,so only in america can be bad attendances
for the teams florida could be a very good place,has a lot of mexican and south american people who love the game,and nyc,probably the most multicultural city in america,lot of foreigners who also love the game,but i don't really see teams in like montane,vermont or nebraska
No sense to the MLS to have minor divisions??

As mexicans we say, some "gringos" are very "verdes"-nowbies about futbol. Imagine to the Premier League without 2nd division?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,403,415 times
I still say the MLS and USL needs to merge. Have relegation from MLS and have hte USL 1st division as the actualy second division. The two groups make absolutely no sense and being a Colorado Rapids fan I know we cant win the league so I have to look forward to is good games, nothing else - no relegation excitement ..... nada

Old 09-04-2010, 12:19 PM

275 posts, read 860,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh View Post
i still say the mls and usl needs to merge. Have relegation from mls and have hte usl 1st division as the actualy second division. The two groups make absolutely no sense and being a colorado rapids fan i know we cant win the league so i have to look forward to is good games, nothing else - no relegation excitement ..... Nada
+1..........................

Old 09-04-2010, 03:58 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,583,823 times
Relegation is an obsolete concept for soccer romantics.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,167,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Relegation is an obsolete concept for soccer romantics.
And it would kill American soccer dead. If you want soccer to catch on in America, you can't have relegation.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:38 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
And it would kill American soccer dead. If you want soccer to catch on in America, you can't have relegation.
Sort of true.

Most soccer fans would accept promotion/relegation. I think you would be hard pressed to find many MLS supporters that would oppose it. Nor do I think it would have much impact and growing fan base.

But the advocates of that system do not account for the financial aspect. MLS clubs need the money generated from tv revenue. Clubs won't risk the loss and neither will MLS. The league is not fluid enough to withstand the financial impacts.

It's so easy for others to criticize how soccer is organized in the United States. But it's the way it is for a reason. I'll take it the way it is rather than have nothing.

It's not as simple as installing the promotion/relegation process. Think logically.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:34 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,167,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Sort of true.

Most soccer fans would accept promotion/relegation. I think you would be hard pressed to find many MLS supporters that would oppose it. Nor do I think it would have much impact and growing fan base.

But the advocates of that system do not account for the financial aspect. MLS clubs need the money generated from tv revenue. Clubs won't risk the loss and neither will MLS. The league is not fluid enough to withstand the financial impacts.

It's so easy for others to criticize how soccer is organized in the United States. But it's the way it is for a reason. I'll take it the way it is rather than have nothing.

It's not as simple as installing the promotion/relegation process. Think logically.
Agreed, except I think there are more than a few MLS who oppose pro/reg, precisely because they realize that MLS wouldn't exist with pro/reg. They may wish that soccer in this country had gone a different path and allowed pro/reg to happen, and they may hope that the future would allow for pro/reg down the line, but they know what it takes to make soccer viable in the present.

(That said, I'm a soccer fan who doesn't really care for pro/reg. I grew up with the American system of sports, and I think it works better than pro/reg. But I'm just one guy.)

Old 09-05-2010, 08:45 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
Agreed, except I think there are more than a few MLS who oppose pro/reg, precisely because they realize that MLS wouldn't exist with pro/reg. They may wish that soccer in this country had gone a different path and allowed pro/reg to happen, and they may hope that the future would allow for pro/reg down the line, but they know what it takes to make soccer viable in the present.

(That said, I'm a soccer fan who doesn't really care for pro/reg. I grew up with the American system of sports, and I think it works better than pro/reg. But I'm just one guy.)
What are your thoughts on the single table format? I support it 100%. Give the championship to the points winner and put more support behind the USOC and CONCACAF CL for additional games. It's a shame there's 2 tournaments here that MLS and many supporters don't support well.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:48 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,755,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I still say the MLS and USL needs to merge. Have relegation from MLS and have hte USL 1st division as the actualy second division. The two groups make absolutely no sense and being a Colorado Rapids fan I know we cant win the league so I have to look forward to is good games, nothing else - no relegation excitement ..... nada

Relegation would kill the entire league. Fans will view relegation as a move down to the minor leagues and they would no longer support the club.

MLS expansion owners are currently paying 40 million dollars just to come into the league. You dont pay 40 million dollars to come into a league with the potential to drop down to the minor leagues. Teams relegated would have their attendance drop from 16K down to like 2K.

Pro/Reg just wont work in the American sports landscape due to the business aspect of it.

It's too bad because I think that system would be perfect for baseball.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:43 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,403,415 times
I dont think it would kill the league at all, it would add excitement and bring more to it.
If a team gets relegated and fans dont support them they are hardly fans so that is a misuse of the word no ? Surely youd say spectator :P (jk)

People said Football would never take off in the US, well it has and its gaining pace too. So nobody can tell for sure that a "proper" league would not take off in the US, I am just going by what works in the rest of the world and what makes it exciting.

Granted I am not in the norm of "supporters", in Ireland I went from the pit of the LOI to great Champions League matches and back to almost going out of extinction and being releagted and still support my team.

I think they need to start with a one league system for a start. Person with the most amount of points wins and have a big US Cup styled like the FA Cup and maybe have the winner of the US Cup vs MLS Chapions or something .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer