U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:59 PM

615 posts, read 444,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
These are all baseless assumptions you are making about the future. Right now, in the now...Union is averaging 23,000 fans per game. More than the Flyers and that NBA team. Which isn't bad for a league in which "no one will spend a dime to watch a game".
You're a liar, the stadium doesn't hold 23,000 for soccer, the reason why they are getting good crowds at the moment is because the team is new, the stadium is new. They don't have near the fan base of other professional sports teams in the City, and have no presence on the telly, outside of the diehards none gives a damn. Talk to me next season when the stadium is half empty. I would bet a lot of the seats this year were bought by corporations and given away, boosting attendance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:06 PM

615 posts, read 444,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
So the best place for young people to gather and drink is way out in the suburbs? Haha, is Philadelphia some kind of Bizarro world now?
This makes no sense.

Quote:
All of their fans are new fans. Where did they come from? What has occured since that will distinguish new from old?
They have no fan base outside of the people who go to the games, they have no presence on the telly.

Quote:
So why are they watching Americans? Try to keep from contradicting yourself if you want to engage in serious debate.
This makes no sense.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:50 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,021,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
You're a liar, the stadium doesn't hold 23,000 for soccer, the reason why they are getting good crowds at the moment is because the team is new, the stadium is new. They don't have near the fan base of other professional sports teams in the City, and have no presence on the telly, outside of the diehards none gives a damn. Talk to me next season when the stadium is half empty. I would bet a lot of the seats this year were bought by corporations and given away, boosting attendance.
A liar, huh? They played the first half of the season in a giant NFL stadium with crowds of 30,000. Thats why the avg attendance is 23,000.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 PM

352 posts, read 476,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The Puerto Rico Islanders actually play in the USL, second division in the United States. They have 7 US-born (not counting PR) players on the team. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, which is the theme with your posts. I wish you were just a little smarter, so you'd know to be utterly embarrassed by what you write on this forum.
The 7 US Born players on that team explains why they suck then

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:29 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,608,810 times
Quote:
This makes no sense.
How does it make no sense? You said that the people who attend union matches do so just to get drunk. I reckon that driving way out to Chester to get drunk is pretty inconvenient, when traditionally it has been custom to congregate in more urban environments to drink and be merry. it's also less expensive to drink without buying a ticket first.
Quote:
They have no fan base outside of the people who go to the games, they have no presence on the telly.
That's pretty loyal support if literally all in attendance comprise the entire fanbase. It must be some kind of record. Thanks for tracking this viewership, Mr Nielsen.
Quote:
This makes no sense.
How does it not make sense? You first said that people will support European soccer over American soccer, which allegedly sucks. Then you said that the people who do support American soccer were acting European. Think about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasuba View Post

Thanks for the info.
You can't even counter with facts, just a weak insult? Please elaborate on your extensive knowledge of the Puerto Rico Islanders.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:17 AM

65 posts, read 29,133 times
23.000 people is pretty good,a tv contract and they would be set fo so

Old 08-01-2010, 07:53 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,566,415 times
Just for the record,the Union draw on par with the Flyers.About 18000 for the Union to about 20000 for the Flyers.They outdraw the 76'ers.The Union played their first 2 games in a larger stadium while their new one was being finished,so they were able to draw larger crowds than their stadium maximum attendance shows.But they seem to be selling out every game in their new stadium of about 18500.Not bad for the new sport in town.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:48 PM

65 posts, read 29,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
Just for the record,the Union draw on par with the Flyers.About 18000 for the Union to about 20000 for the Flyers.They outdraw the 76'ers.The Union played their first 2 games in a larger stadium while their new one was being finished,so they were able to draw larger crowds than their stadium maximum attendance shows.But they seem to be selling out every game in their new stadium of about 18500.Not bad for the new sport in town.
exactly,soccer stadiums are the size of baseball and football stadiums,hockey and basketball are much smaller,can't compare

Old 08-01-2010, 04:37 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,865,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasuba View Post

Thanks for the info.
I bet any of the "7 US Born players" suck less than any players from where you come from. Where do you come from again?

It's funny how miserable haters like you always slam the US and anything related to it but yet it's good enough for you to live in it. What happened to embracing where you live??

Old 08-02-2010, 01:01 PM

5,763 posts, read 9,773,860 times
Quote:
I'm not bashing the country, I'm bashing soccer in the country. The MLS is a terrible product, verging on the unwatchable. The players are usually average/solid but no superstars like in the other sports, no players you buy a ticket just to watch. The European clubs playing friendlies here don't even want to be here, believe me, that have hardly any interest in these matches. They are sending out their scrubs to get some exercise. Watching an MLS game is akin to watching grass grown, now you can they for any particular soccer match, but almost all MLS games are like that. Even the soccer fans in the US will admit, but they wont to save face, because they want to keep up charade they are somehow sophisticated because they follow soccer....

This is beyond ridiculous. I know many people who attend Wizards matches who spent most of their lives in Europe watching European soccer. In fact, I know 2 Englishmen who played in the youth system of 2 prestigious Premier League Clubs and now they are season ticket holders for the Kansas City Wizards.

So, please explain to me how people who know the sport extremely well and have even played the sport at a high level can spend money watching it if it is as bad as you say?

Pretty much every single European club has voiced complements of the MLS and have admitted they underestimated the talent of the teams. Alex Ferguson himself payed complements to the league.

If the European teams didnt want to be here, they wouldnt come here. If the MLS teams were so bad, they wouldnt use MLS teams has a preseason warmup. You scrimmage against teams of quality, not poor quality.

Everything you posted in this forum is complete and utter bull****. Any American who turns their nose up at MLS as unwatchable is an idiot. There are thousands of European native people that watch MLS and even have season tickets and are just fine with the quality. You're just being a snob to be a snob and think you are better than MLS fans. That just shows how big of a moron you truly are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer