U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,794,172 times
Reputation: 2809

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
It's funny how miserable haters like you always slam the US and anything related to it but yet it's good enough for you to live in it. What happened to embracing where you live??

Exactly.

Nasuba has once to tell us watch country he/she supports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2010, 01:52 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,635,836 times
Reputation: 2854
Nasuba is Mexican, if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2010, 05:14 PM
 
65 posts, read 29,239 times
Reputation: 15
MLS isn't bad,also isn't one of the greatest,is good to watch,also think that the salaries are miserable,one of the reasons good players won't go there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
615 posts, read 446,461 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
This is beyond ridiculous. I know many people who attend Wizards matches who spent most of their lives in Europe watching European soccer. In fact, I know 2 Englishmen who played in the youth system of 2 prestigious Premier League Clubs and now they are season ticket holders for the Kansas City Wizards.

So, please explain to me how people who know the sport extremely well and have even played the sport at a high level can spend money watching it if it is as bad as you say?

Pretty much every single European club has voiced complements of the MLS and have admitted they underestimated the talent of the teams. Alex Ferguson himself payed complements to the league.

If the European teams didnt want to be here, they wouldnt come here. If the MLS teams were so bad, they wouldnt use MLS teams has a preseason warmup. You scrimmage against teams of quality, not poor quality.

Everything you posted in this forum is complete and utter bull****. Any American who turns their nose up at MLS as unwatchable is an idiot. There are thousands of European native people that watch MLS and even have season tickets and are just fine with the quality. You're just being a snob to be a snob and think you are better than MLS fans. That just shows how big of a moron you truly are.
It is not just the MLS, watching soccer outside of the World Cup is not very exciting. The teams who can spend the most money can attract the most players, the majority of players have absolutely no loyalty to their teams, because they aren't even from the countries they play in. Soccer without the atmospehre of the World Cup is uneventful, and most casual fans will tell you that. If you watched one soccer game you watched them all, it's a mundane and tedious game, as shown by the WC winners Spain, who play a particular style that makes them game as exciting as watching paint dry.

The Union aren't selling out their games, seats sold at the new stadium are averaging like 18k, there probably a good bit less then that in the stands though, there are probably a bunch of seats that were bought by corporations this year and give away, bloating the actual numbers. One guy here mention the salaries in the MLS are crap, that is because the league doesn't have a very good TV deal, people aren't watching it on TV, hence the teams aren't making much money, ergo they can't pay their players much, meaning they can't attract the exciting players, but that doesn't always result in entertaining soccer, because a team can play a certain style of soccer that makes the talented players appear invisible, ergo you're not getting any bang for your buck. Soccer in the US has a cult following, it is not attracting any new fans, soccer doesn't really excite people outside of countries where people are brainwashed as kids to believe soccer is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,635,836 times
Reputation: 2854
Soccer grows at a steady pace. The die-hard optimists brag about it being on the verge of exploding and the yeehaw rednecks laugh at them when it doesn't. The truth is that it's growing all the time. It will never suddenly be big. It is taking a while to get there, but the important thing is that it is getting there. MLS is wise not to go spending money it doesn't have.

By the way, it's so obvious that you do feel threatened by MLS in your city, hence your crusade against the Union and soccer in general. Where were you before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 10:13 AM
 
65 posts, read 29,239 times
Reputation: 15
but isn't soccer the best sport?i think it is because it is in every single country in the world,and the majority have pro leagues,may not always be the most popular sport but it's always there
since canada and us to ecuador,uruguai,bolivia,from sweden,greece,poland to algeria,angola and egypt.from china,india,iran,saudi arabia to australia and new zeland,enough said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2010, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
615 posts, read 446,461 times
Reputation: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Soccer grows at a steady pace. The die-hard optimists brag about it being on the verge of exploding and the yeehaw rednecks laugh at them when it doesn't. The truth is that it's growing all the time. It will never suddenly be big. It is taking a while to get there, but the important thing is that it is getting there. MLS is wise not to go spending money it doesn't have.

By the way, it's so obvious that you do feel threatened by MLS in your city, hence your crusade against the Union and soccer in general. Where were you before?

I'm going to have to disagree with you. People have been saying soccer is going to explode for a few decades now, don't forget Pele (considered one of the best soccer players ever) even played in the US for a period of time. Soccer is not going to endear itself to people when soccer fans call people childish names like "rednecks" because they don't think soccer is an entertaining sport.

I have nothing against the Union, I'm just being realistic, they are more likely to no longer exist in 3-5 years then be still selling out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 11:07 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,635,836 times
Reputation: 2854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you. People have been saying soccer is going to explode for a few decades now, don't forget Pele (considered one of the best soccer players ever) even played in the US for a period of time. Soccer is not going to endear itself to people when soccer fans call people childish names like "rednecks" because they don't think soccer is an entertaining sport.
Did you even read what I said? I know it has never "exploded" and it never will. The growth is steady, not sudden. ****ing pay attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
they are more likely to no longer exist in 3-5 years
The Union have a steady revenue stream which they control at that stadium. Learn some business sense. You're talking out of your ass. You cannot win any debate like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,794,172 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
It is not just the MLS, watching soccer outside of the World Cup is not very exciting. The teams who can spend the most money can attract the most players, the majority of players have absolutely no loyalty to their teams, because they aren't even from the countries they play in. Soccer without the atmospehre of the World Cup is uneventful, and most casual fans will tell you that. If you watched one soccer game you watched them all, it's a mundane and tedious game, as shown by the WC winners Spain, who play a particular style that makes them game as exciting as watching paint dry.
This post right here shows you have no clue what you are talking about. Soccer is the most popular sport on earth for a reason and people love it outside of the World Cup. Do you really think 53K people would show up to a meaningless friendly in Kansas City on a hot Sunday afternoon for something that is uneventful?

The very next day, the Kansas City Wizards sold 700 new season tickets. Guess what? People had a good time and decided to commit hundreds of dollars of hard earned money in a recession to buy season tickets. That sounds like something that is uneventful for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
The Union aren't selling out their games, seats sold at the new stadium are averaging like 18k, there probably a good bit less then that in the stands though, there are probably a bunch of seats that were bought by corporations this year and give away, bloating the actual numbers. One guy here mention the salaries in the MLS are crap, that is because the league doesn't have a very good TV deal, people aren't watching it on TV, hence the teams aren't making much money, ergo they can't pay their players much, meaning they can't attract the exciting players, but that doesn't always result in entertaining soccer, because a team can play a certain style of soccer that makes the talented players appear invisible, ergo you're not getting any bang for your buck. Soccer in the US has a cult following, it is not attracting any new fans, soccer doesn't really excite people outside of countries where people are brainwashed as kids to believe soccer is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Uh oh! The Union arent selling out all their games! They better fold up shop right now!

Guess what, genius, most sports teams do not sell out of their games.

FYI, the MLS is a single entity league and outside of Designated Players, the league pays the players salaries, not the teams.

Also, the MLS has SEVERAL TV deals and they are working on another TV deal with Versus to start next season. That will give the MLS TV deals with ESPN, FSC, Versus, Telemundo, and Galavision. On top of that, every single team has a local TV deal in not only standard definition but also high definition and a majority of the teams also have their games broadcast in Spanish.

That sounds like a league that is failing to me!

The MLS is the most successful sports league launch in the history of the United States. That's a fact, if you do not believe me, contact the Sports Business Journal which is the authority of the business of sports in the US and they consistently say that the MLS is the best ran sports organization in the country.


You're statement in bold is the most ignorant thing I have read in a long time. As mentioned before, the Wizards sold 700 new season tickets in a day and nearly 2000 in the last 2 weeks. On top of that, Chicago broke an attendance record at their stadium last night and sold more tickets than seats.

Not attracting new fans? Really? Do you have a source to back that up because everything out there proves you wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Lochearn,MD
6 posts, read 9,163 times
Reputation: 17
A proof of improvement is the result of the national team in the confederation cup last year and the world cup this year.Also the "European " players joining the MLS. Keep working boys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top