U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,418,110 times

Advertisements

The MLS is a VERY young league with no real developed rivalries (yet). The longer the league goes on the more rivalries develope and the more rooted a team becomes in the City they are in the more popular the league will be. They need to change a few things like the crappy conference setup they have but aside from that its a very well run league. Just because a team isnt getting 80,000 people does not mean they are not a good team or an exciting team. One of the hardest things to overcome is like people above saying outside the World Cup nobody cares ? Really ? Some people might want to get a more worldly view before making comments like that.

I am a Shelbourne FC (part time club) fan through and through thats because I grew up there. I have seen Man U, Liverpool, Spurs, IFK Gotebork, Lazio, Brondby, FC Kobenhavn, Villa, Leeds and tonnes more teams that I can remember. Does watching Colorado Rapids (my US team) vs LA Galazy compare to seeing Lazio vs FCK in the Champions League ? You bet it does. The MLS has developed a good set of hardcore supporters for each team that I have seen. Yeh Lazio are better than the Rapids but thats not the point, the game IS good here and I would much rather watch a US team play live or on the box vs a European team on the box. Thats one of the hardest things to get people over the judgements of a league they have never actually watched or not watched without already going in with the attitude that it sucks.

Will MLS be as big as the NFL, probably not in my lifetime but you never know. MLS's biggest problem with TV is that they cannot take an advertisement break every 15 seconds like they seem to do in NFL games which for a TV system in America is hard to swallow since thats all TV really is in the US, advertisements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 AM

65 posts, read 29,062 times
it's kinda hard to have rivalries when the clubs move from city to city every two years yes?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,764,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMB_nerd View Post
it's kinda hard to have rivalries when the clubs move from city to city every two years yes?

Huh? Only 1 team has ever relocated in MLS history. That was San Jose to Houston in 2006.

The MLS has plenty of good rivalries. RSL and Colorado have a pretty heated rivalry. DC and NY do. Chicago and DC do. LA and Chivas do. Seattle and Portland will continue their rivalry when Portland joins next season. Houston and Dallas do.

Kansas City is pretty much the only team with no true rival. That is partly do to the nearest team being 600 miles away and them switching conferences a few years ago.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,418,110 times
Clubs moved every two years ? I totally missed that on MBM_nerd *or* maybe it just might be better for you to not speak about something you have no clue of ?

Rj, yeh I am not saying there is no rivalries, but there is no real rivalries. I mean back home my dad was hated by my grandad on match day because he was a Bohemians fan and my grandad was a Shamrock Rovers fan. Imagine the disgust and rivalries when I was 8 years old and refused to go to Bohemians games because I adopted Shelbourne FC as my team. My dad to this day still does not forgive me for that one. I am talking about the rivalries that split familes and friends on match day! They will come in time though I think.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:28 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,764,830 times
Those rivalries have meaning outside of sports though. It's kind of like MU vs. KU which is a rivalry that dates back to the Civil War.

In terms of standard American sports rivalries, I think the MLS has a few of those. There is some real hate that has grown between some teams where fights occur between fans anytime they meet.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:43 AM

i was talking about american sport in general,and a lot of teams that don't existe anymore,so don't attack me if YOU don't know what you are talking about,by the way irish football is a joke,no offense

Old 08-15-2010, 10:57 AM

615 posts, read 444,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
This post right here shows you have no clue what you are talking about. Soccer is the most popular sport on earth for a reason and people love it outside of the World Cup. Do you really think 53K people would show up to a meaningless friendly in Kansas City on a hot Sunday afternoon for something that is uneventful?

The very next day, the Kansas City Wizards sold 700 new season tickets. Guess what? People had a good time and decided to commit hundreds of dollars of hard earned money in a recession to buy season tickets. That sounds like something that is uneventful for me!

That means nothing that it is the most popular in the world, Christianity is the most popular religion in the world, and I think it is stupid. It is popular because people are forced to believe it is, same with religion. The game is not played weekly, it is a rare event, they wouldn't get 53K if it was played weekly, not even half of that.

Quote:
Uh oh! The Union arent selling out all their games! They better fold up shop right now!

Guess what, genius, most sports teams do not sell out of their games.

FYI, the MLS is a single entity league and outside of Designated Players, the league pays the players salaries, not the teams.

Also, the MLS has SEVERAL TV deals and they are working on another TV deal with Versus to start next season. That will give the MLS TV deals with ESPN, FSC, Versus, Telemundo, and Galavision. On top of that, every single team has a local TV deal in not only standard definition but also high definition and a majority of the teams also have their games broadcast in Spanish.

That sounds like a league that is failing to me!
I'm not saying the Union or MLS should fold up, I'm saying they've hit their ceiling or are very close. The Union will are getting good crowds now because they are the new kid on the block, next year they wont have that going for them, and wont get the same crowds. You can't look at things objectively, because you're too emotinally attached to the MLS.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:43 PM

dude,i'm sorry but clearly have no idea what your talking about,nobody prech that soccer is the better sport in world,it just is,maybe that's why it is played in every single country of the world and 90% of the countrys have soccer leagues,from qatar and saudi arabia to fiji,australia,moçambique,egypte,georgia,canada,bo livia etc...

it's the the king sport,the sport more played in the entire world,so don't come here say that american football and baseball are better and more played because that's not true,and this is an objective answer

no if you ask if it will ever be huge in america and canada like basketball and stuff,probably not and never will be

Old 08-15-2010, 02:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,170,061 times
Quote:
i was talking about american sport in general,and a lot of teams that don't existe anymore,so don't attack me if YOU don't know what you are talking about,by the way irish football is a joke,no offense
Actually, everyone knows what they're talking about. One team has relocated (and has since come back) and two teams have folded. True, there has been a fair bit of movement in other sports here in the US, but those have been in other sports.

It is ok to admit you were wrong, you know. It is a virtue.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,170,061 times
Quote:
dude,i'm sorry but clearly have no idea what your talking about,nobody prech that soccer is the better sport in world,it just is,maybe that's why it is played in every single country of the world and 90% of the countrys have soccer leagues,from qatar and saudi arabia to fiji,australia,moçambique,egypte,georgia,canada,bolivia etc...

it's the the king sport,the sport more played in the entire world,so don't come here say that american football and baseball are better and more played because that's not true,and this is an objective answer

no if you ask if it will ever be huge in america and canada like basketball and stuff,probably not and never will be
Just to be fair, Australia is much like the US, in that while it does have a soccer league, the sport is far from being the most popular. Aussie Rules, Rugby League, Cricket, and Rugby Union are all more popular than Soccer. (Aussie Rules and Rugby League, especially so.)

India and Pakistan are the same - Cricket is King there, not Soccer.

But yea, Soccer is super popular and a great sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer