U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 PM

615 posts, read 443,915 times

Advertisements

I was channel surfing tonight and got to watching the game on ESPN2. I said it during the WC threads, soccer in the US (MLS) is terrible, and the MLS "all-stars" proved me right again, I don't even think the MAN U was fielding their best players. The product that is the MLS is never going to attract any fans other than die hard soccer fans, because the product is abysmal.

*Gets ready for US soccer apologist and their excuses*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:35 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
I was channel surfing tonight and got to watching the game on ESPN2. I said it during the WC threads, soccer in the US (MLS) is terrible, and the MLS "all-stars" proved me right again, I don't even think the MAN U was fielding their best players. The product that is the MLS is never going to attract any fans other than die hard soccer fans, because the product is abysmal.

If you are going to judge the quality of MLS by an exhibition friendly then how do you explain Manchester United's loss to the struggling Kansas City Wizards last week?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzQ6HY_PhNE

Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,592,693 times
Wow, so the team which regularly plays together (Wizards) is better off than one that doesn't (All-Stars)? I am sooooooo shocked....

Old 07-29-2010, 03:36 PM

65 posts, read 29,044 times
one game doesn't mean much,were they embaraced?yes,M united was palying with they weakest players and still win easy

Old 07-29-2010, 03:43 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,390,863 times
Quote:

It was a friendly, an exhibition game. It means absolutely nothing.

Of course the quality of play in the EPL and Europe is far superior to that of the MLS, but everybody already knows that...don't they?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,592,693 times
Watch it with that "Europe" talk. There are a few leagues with a few teams each that would put MLS to shame. The vast majority of European clubs are nothing to deify.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:12 AM

5,763 posts, read 9,761,873 times
Quote:

You're going to judge how the entire county plays the sport based on a meaningless friendly and by a team that only got 1 practice session together? Did you suddenly forget the Man U lost a game less than a week ago to an MLS team on the bottom half of the table?

On top of that, you do realize that a big chunk of the MLS All-Star WAS NOT AMERICAN.

The MLS actually has a winning record in the All-Star game versus European Clubs.

In fact, the MLS overall has a winning record against European clubs in friendlies.

What a poor effort at attempting to make a point that is blatantly false.

On top of that, you are in the United States. Not sure if you are a citizen or not but why bash the country you currently reside in and are possibly a citizen of?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 AM

65 posts, read 29,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Watch it with that "Europe" talk. There are a few leagues with a few teams each that would put MLS to shame. The vast majority of European clubs are nothing to deify.
in europe there are only 7 leagues that mather,ehere all clubs are good or the vast majority,thare are a few countries like greece,ukraine,turkey and scotland that have 2,3 or 4 good clubs,the rest is crap,the rest of countries like poland,iceland,norway etc the leagues and clubs are bad,same level of MLS or worst and that's the truth

Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 PM

615 posts, read 443,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You're going to judge how the entire county plays the sport based on a meaningless friendly and by a team that only got 1 practice session together? Did you suddenly forget the Man U lost a game less than a week ago to an MLS team on the bottom half of the table?

On top of that, you do realize that a big chunk of the MLS All-Star WAS NOT AMERICAN.

The MLS actually has a winning record in the All-Star game versus European Clubs.

In fact, the MLS overall has a winning record against European clubs in friendlies.

What a poor effort at attempting to make a point that is blatantly false.

On top of that, you are in the United States. Not sure if you are a citizen or not but why bash the country you currently reside in and are possibly a citizen of?
I'm not bashing the country, I'm bashing soccer in the country. The MLS is a terrible product, verging on the unwatchable. The players are usually average/solid but no superstars like in the other sports, no players you buy a ticket just to watch. The European clubs playing friendlies here don't even want to be here, believe me, that have hardly any interest in these matches. They are sending out their scrubs to get some exercise. Watching an MLS game is akin to watching grass grown, now you can they for any particular soccer match, but almost all MLS games are like that. Even the soccer fans in the US will admit, but they wont to save face, because they want to keep up charade they are somehow sophisticated because they follow soccer....

Old 07-31-2010, 06:03 AM

352 posts, read 475,814 times
MLS, and American soccer in general, are just inferior to foreign competition.

If its not small Caribbean clubs they wont dominate. Getting owned by MANURE is nowhere near landycakes and the boys getting owned by the Puerto Rico Islanders in the Champions league.

The Best MLS team would not consistently beat the best league 2 team. MLS is getting better, but so was the NASL before it folded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer