U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:30 AM

322 posts, read 706,903 times

Advertisements

One club - Seattle Sounders.

I used to somewhat follow clubs like Celtic, Plymouth Argyle and Paris Saint-Germain, but once an MLS club plopped down in my neck of the woods and I understood what it was truly like to attend games, be a part of the spectacle that is game day, etc., I am full-on Sounders ever since and have not looked back.

As much as I personally despise the format of the MLS (yes, I know the reasons behind it, etc.), it is so much more important to simply support soccer in this country as opposed to supporting European clubs. I am an American, so I should be supporting an American club to help grow the sport here. Not to mention that game day is so much more fun actually being at the stadium versus watching on TV or online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:51 PM

2,857 posts, read 3,944,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

As much as I personally despise the format of the MLS (yes, I know the reasons behind it, etc.), it is so much more important to simply support soccer in this country as opposed to supporting European clubs. I am an American, so I should be supporting an American club to help grow the sport here. Not to mention that game day is so much more fun actually being at the stadium versus watching on TV or online.
Good for you! Seriously. I am very impressed with the crowds at the Sounders matches. If I remember correctly, they led the MLS in attendance with an average of over 30,000. That is outstanding! They also probably led the league in rowdiness AND futbol intelligence. Toronto FC might be a close second.

I attended a Sounders match years back when they were still -what? NASL?- and it was well-attended also. Adding the Vancouver Whitecaps and Portland Timbers will also bode well for MLS since those clubs come with a history ala the Sounders and their natural rivalries will continue.

I have watched a lot of European futbol over the past 15 years but I am enjoying the MLS more and more. It is great to see the local fans come around their clubs rather than being a "fan" of some overseas club.

But, alas, I don't live anywhere near a MLS city so I have to be a fan from afar.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:31 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,420,044 times

COME ON YOU SPURS!!!

Old 11-28-2010, 09:25 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,103,492 times
Quote:

I used to somewhat follow clubs like Celtic, Plymouth Argyleof the woods and I understood what it was truly like to attend games, be a part of the spectacle that is game day, etc., I am full-on Sounders ever since and have not looked back.

As much as I personally despise the format of the MLS (yes, I know the reasons behind it, etc.), it is so much more important to simply support soting European clubs. I am an American, so I should be supporting an American club to help grow the sport here. Not to mention that game day is so much more fun actually being at the stadium versus watching on TV or online.
well said, for it to grow people should support their local team (that means go to games, your not a supporter if its your ' favourite ' team you watch on tv) americas got potential to be a good football nation, but i dont think 95% of you 'get it' if you do you could have some of the best supported teams in the world

Old 11-28-2010, 09:42 AM

5,599 posts, read 8,296,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
well said, for it to grow people should support their local team (that means go to games, your not a supporter if its your ' favourite ' team you watch on tv) americas got potential to be a good football nation, but i dont think 95% of you 'get it' if you do you could have some of the best supported teams in the world
Depends on who your team is. I'm sure it's easy to get match tickets in Dundee, but my local team is Arsenal, and there's a waiting list just to get on the waiting list for a season ticket, and the rest of the tickets for big games get snapped up months in advance, IF you can afford them in the first place. For the big games there are almost as many people cheering Arsenal watching it on TV in the pubs around the stadium as actually in it.

You've got a point though about supporting your local team - one of the reasons why American sports will never take off here is that all those who like them watch NBA/NFL/NHL etc as there's nobody worth supporting in this country, so you're isolated from other fans. Interesting to see what different reasons Americans give for supporting our teams

Old 11-28-2010, 01:53 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,103,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Depends on who your team is. I'm sure it's easy to get match tickets in Dundee, but my local team is Arsenal
i could imagine how dificult it would be to get a ticket at the emirates, you just need to look at arsenals home crowd, its usually quiet, cause people with money that go, then you've got arsenals away crowd who are brilliant, the real fans, its the same with alot of teams chelsea, man u etc. thats because the thousands that go to the home game for convenience, but would they go up to bolton away on a wednesday night, doubt it, the real fans who cant get a ticket for the emirates will. and yeah its pretty easy to get a ticket for dundee or dundee untd lol thats because we've got two fairly big clubs (in scottish terms) in one small city so the stadiums usually only 90% full still got a big loyal support. but the americans have got the chance to pick their teams and support them if they do it right they can have about 10 teams with 90,000seater stadiums

Old 11-28-2010, 09:49 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,583,823 times
Well I'm doing my job here.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM

91 posts, read 186,806 times
Liverpooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Old 12-01-2010, 11:05 AM

4,854 posts, read 6,373,588 times
Quote:

I used to somewhat follow clubs like Celtic, Plymouth Argyle and Paris Saint-Germain, but once an MLS club plopped down in my neck of the woods and I understood what it was truly like to attend games, be a part of the spectacle that is game day, etc., I am full-on Sounders ever since and have not looked back.

The Sounders have been around for a long time.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:07 AM

161 posts, read 123,403 times
FC Dallas. Internationally, it varies. I enjoyed rooting for Everton when Donovan was on there. In the past, the late 90's I was a diehard ManU fan. I really follow yanks abroad more now than I do actually clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer