U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
580 posts, read 862,448 times
Reputation: 892

Advertisements

The ignorant always bashes others for lack of argument. On either sides. That said, in Europe people are more passionate about soccer than Americans about football or other sports. That doesn't mean Americans are NOT passionate or don't care; they just luve the event in a different way. It's a more of a family thing.
In Europe I remember going to the stadium every Sunday and about 30 minutes before the start of the game, with the stands crowded, the chants...you actually feels nervous, overexcited. A loss of your team might put you in bad mood for the rest of the day, an important win can get you almost emotional.
In the USA is a different atmosphere in the stands, more laid back; Americans are more "watching" the show than participating. The singing and chants are not something that comes natural to Americans, it's just not part of the culture.

That said, I enjoy going to see the Dolphins and being outside the stadium grilling something without having to watch my back for fans of the opponent team going nuts. In Europe it's more exciting and a bit more risky. In the USA it's more relaxed and sometimes a little more boring. But you can't have it both ways, like in anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,339,238 times
Reputation: 13682
I would add ... the rivalry between opposing fans in US stadiums is muted compared to Europe. In Europe the "wind-up" and "dig" are very important and that gets the fans going and can add real tension and drama to the atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM
 
Location: US Empire, Pac NW
5,008 posts, read 10,797,847 times
Reputation: 4125
Obviously OP has never gone to a college football game. Or a Sounders FC game. Or a Cincinnati Reds game.

Granted there's a lot more formal atmosphere in the US but we can be crazy when we want to be. Just because we're not just a bunch of hooligans doesn't mean we're dispassionate about our sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
322 posts, read 706,535 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I would add ... the rivalry between opposing fans in US stadiums is muted compared to Europe. In Europe the "wind-up" and "dig" are very important and that gets the fans going and can add real tension and drama to the atmosphere.
I can't wait for next year's Seattle-Portland-Vancouver games - those should show a real back-and-forth between the supporters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2010, 11:18 AM
 
224 posts, read 591,279 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
The ignorant always bashes others for lack of argument. On either sides. That said, in Europe people are more passionate about soccer than Americans about football or other sports. That doesn't mean Americans are NOT passionate or don't care; they just luve the event in a different way. It's a more of a family thing.
In Europe I remember going to the stadium every Sunday and about 30 minutes before the start of the game, with the stands crowded, the chants...you actually feels nervous, overexcited. A loss of your team might put you in bad mood for the rest of the day, an important win can get you almost emotional.
In the USA is a different atmosphere in the stands, more laid back; Americans are more "watching" the show than participating. The singing and chants are not something that comes natural to Americans, it's just not part of the culture.

That said, I enjoy going to see the Dolphins and being outside the stadium grilling something without having to watch my back for fans of the opponent team going nuts. In Europe it's more exciting and a bit more risky. In the USA it's more relaxed and sometimes a little more boring. But you can't have it both ways, like in anything else.
Sport or football in Europe is life.
In the US, sport is entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 08:47 PM
 
Location: In San Antonio
1,673 posts, read 2,722,428 times
Reputation: 1242
O Americans aint bout our sports???? Check games such as:

Yankee vs Red Sox
Longhorns vs Sooners
U of M vs OSU
Redskins vs Cowboys
Lakers vs Celtics
Cubs vs White Sox

Check Youtube for some examples

I could say more but the only way to get the full affect is to be there. And you know here in da US we do have multi levels of sports for both men and women.
So if we might not seem super excited at the drop of a dime its probably cause we where just the other day at a highschool game or little league game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 PM
 
2,057 posts, read 3,155,966 times
Reputation: 980
To the OP, Spurs games used to get a lot noisier back in the early 1990's at the old arena. Then they moved to the large football stadium (Alamodome), and things really haven't been the same since, even with the AT&T Center, in my opinion. Part of the problem might be the incredibly dumb "defense" cheer that I complained about in the basketball forum, which only seems to quiet the crowd when I go to the games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-13-2010, 11:48 AM
 
224 posts, read 591,279 times
Reputation: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
O Americans aint bout our sports???? Check games such as:

Yankee vs Red Sox
Longhorns vs Sooners
U of M vs OSU
Redskins vs Cowboys
Lakers vs Celtics
Cubs vs White Sox

Check Youtube for some examples

I could say more but the only way to get the full affect is to be there. And you know here in da US we do have multi levels of sports for both men and women.
So if we might not seem super excited at the drop of a dime its probably cause we where just the other day at a highschool game or little league game.
Do people riot if things are going to badly for their team??? Do people cry if their team don't do well in the world cup for example???
Fact is for example. A Rangers fan would never vote for a person if he was a celtic fan. Simple as that. Would a yankee fan vote for a red sox fan? Of course it's just sports right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,096,426 times
Reputation: 4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
It is just a game nothing to get so excited over. I have more productive things to do with my life than worship some overpaid athletes.
the answer above is the answer to your question, americans just dont get it and never will, FOOTBALL is like a religious way of life for us here in europe and in latin america if you went to a barcelona real madrid, glasgow celtic glasgow rangers, liverpool man u, west ham milwall, ac milan inter milan game you would get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,096,426 times
Reputation: 4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Hooliganism is only in England then ?
You dont open your eyes enough to see the **** that happens at games here ? The riots after your team wins whatever competition they were in :S
england and scotland started the serious football hooliganism in the 70's 80's the government tried to stamp it out and mostly succeeded in doing so 100s of people lost there lives and are still doing so. it was an epidemic in britain for decades so hardly think a few rowdy fans in states is anything to copare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top