U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:58 AM

7,811 posts, read 6,639,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Funny, just attended a pro baseball game here in the states and everyone around me was stone cold sober.

I guess you haven't heard of British hooligans, no?
British hooligans! Oh that's so 1980's, surely people are allowed to enjoy their sports any way they please aren't they? There's no law that says you have to jump up and down and chuck about flares to enjoy yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 11:34 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,704,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Thanks to MLS the things are changing and now you can see football-soccer stadiums with more life, with flags, with flares, with banners, and all those things that in NFL you'll never see...in NFL you are going to see to the eternity a boring atmosphere where everybody is seated the whole match waiting for their teams to score, supporting is forbidden unless you consider "lets go x clap clap clap" as a nice chant.

Do you think that the raising of some supporting groups at MLS is a good idea for the change of how americans live their sports as fans?
Let's put it this way "Sanluisito"
the biggest soccer stadium in Europe (Camp Nou) is known as "The theater" because the Barcelona fans don't make any noise.

"Camp Nou? I like the theatre too"

"Camp Nou? I like the theatre too" - MARCA.com (English version)

Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Yes but you also have Dortmund, Celtic, Wisla Krakow, Feyenoord, Napoli, Galatasary, Liverpool, Marsielle, Dinamo Kiev, Roma etc, etc, etc. Unbelievable atmospheres.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:28 PM

77 posts, read 79,718 times
To the OP: It all depends on what particular game on what particular night. I've watched English league football and the crowd is quiet as can be. I've watched Italian football and the stadium is half empty. Then I watch a playoff baseball game and the place is electric. They might not be singing and chanting, but you can hear and feel the energy. Soccer is traditionally a very tribal, working class sport with club rivalries that go back to the 1800's. Sometimes religion and politics are a huge part of it. American sports have (mostly) been about enjoying the entertainment, without the need for flares or fighting. I enjoy the spectacle of world soccer, and I also enjoy the lazy pace of a summer's daytime baseball game. It's all good.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:28 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,420,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gringo View Post
To the OP: It all depends on what particular game on what particular night. I've watched English league football and the crowd is quiet as can be. I've watched Italian football and the stadium is half empty. Then I watch a playoff baseball game and the place is electric. They might not be singing and chanting, but you can hear and feel the energy. Soccer is traditionally a very tribal, working class sport with club rivalries that go back to the 1800's. Sometimes religion and politics are a huge part of it. American sports have (mostly) been about enjoying the entertainment, without the need for flares or fighting. I enjoy the spectacle of world soccer, and I also enjoy the lazy pace of a summer's daytime baseball game. It's all good.
That's a good post. I have great memories of lazy summer days watching baseball at County Stadium, Frozen days watching football at Lambeau, and now my favorite sport to see live is soccer. They are all different, but the thread that goes through any wonderful sporting event experience for me is pre-game activities. I prefer tailgating in the parking lot, which is a pretty american experience from what I can tell...but I have never reserached the ubiquity of tailgating.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:31 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,142,860 times
I know that the OP started this thread in 2010. Everyone has an opinion and his is that Mexico has a boring stadium atmosphere as it relates to soccer. My opinion is that he is very wrong. Perhaps he stays in the restroom during the whole match. Azteca, Omnilife, U de G, Monterrey, etc. are boring? Ah, Ok. To each their own as they say.

-Cheers.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:18 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Im going to be honest. Mexico has one of the most boring atmosphere in whole America.

The truth is that mexicans fans have a big influence of how americans have the sporting way of life.

I lived many years in Spain where my grandparents were born, so there i knew the big importance of the task that fans have to support their teams.

Twice per year or more i go to San Antonio, where is the homeland of Spurs. One reason why i never go is that the bad atmosphere who sorround some sports as basketball, handegg or hockey.

Is very sad how the americans fans live the roll of supporting their teams. I am not saying that they are less passionate than soccer fans who shouts the whole match, or are all stand up.

Thanks to MLS the things are changing and now you can see football-soccer stadiums with more life, with flags, with flares, with banners, and all those things that in NFL you'll never see...in NFL you are going to see to the eternity a boring atmosphere where everybody is seated the whole match waiting for their teams to score, supporting is forbidden unless you consider "lets go x clap clap clap" as a nice chant.

Do you think that the raising of some supporting groups at MLS is a good idea for the change of how americans live their sports as fans?
handegg? You obviously know nothing about American sports and fans. You even admit you never go to Spurs games. It seems that soccer fans in Europe like to fight in the stands and we don't see that has anything to do with sports. Soccer is a minor sport here really.You do it your way and we will do it ours;OK.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:17 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,093,678 times
Ok.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
Damn Europeans, 20 people a weekend die in their stadiums I hear. I am pretty sure that the footage I keep seeing over here that's blurry isn't from 1980 or anything like that. There is no way the media over here would try put a bad spin on crazy Europeans and their soccer :|

Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 AM

21,323 posts, read 21,895,576 times
not just Europe, even peaceful Egyptians are not immune from acts of lethal hooliganism

Soccer fans clash with the police in Cairo; at least 19 dead - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or