Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times

Advertisements

It's a very expensive vanity project. What will a country of 1.4 million people do with 12 stadia? Even if they only average 50,000 seats, that's still a total of 600,000 seats. The large stadium is supposed to seat 86,000. More than half the population of the entire country will be able to sit in a seat at the same time.

It seem very wasteful for a few weeks of games. Global petrodollars at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It's a very expensive vanity project. What will a country of 1.4 million people do with 12 stadia? Even if they only average 50,000 seats, that's still a total of 600,000 seats. The large stadium is supposed to seat 86,000. More than half the population of the entire country will be able to sit in a seat at the same time.

It seem very wasteful for a few weeks of games. Global petrodollars at work.
I never understood why they drag such world cups over weeks. There could be 4 matches per stadium per day...

Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Small country, not exactly visitor friendly, automatic qualifier to a country with an irrelevent side, very hot ..... just a mind numbing decision

Then again a country with enough income to build what will essentially be single use set of stadiums and incur that cost probably had little issue providing additional incentive to FIFA.........

Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,403,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I never understood why they drag such world cups over weeks. There could be 4 matches per stadium per day...
That comment made me LOL, thanks!

Old 12-02-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
That comment made me LOL, thanks!
Hey, I was serious about that

Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Because it's Qatar. No booze, no scantily clad Brazilian girls, it's too small to accommodate and....

IT'S 130°!
Points well taken....I forgot about the no booze, and the ladies. Now, I'm mad... ...... I can deal with the heat for a few weeks (they did say they were going to have A/C units in the stadiums), but no women, no fun...you have a point now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
ARGH!!! Qatar?? Attendence is going to be terrible! And Mister NY asks why the disappointment?

Compare Qatar to South Africa, there are a million great side trips to take in South Africa while watching the Cup, what are people going to Qatar gonna want to see, a 5 star hotel?

Disastrous decision, add the heat and this'll surely be one of the least passionate cups ever. In DC I know a ton of avid world travellers and soccer fans, but I guarantee most of them will still say WTF, I'm not going.

Russia I'm OK with, at least they have a decent league, can play the game quite well, and are a significant world power with plenty of interesting sites to see. Just hope they can host without, um, tragedy. I'll more than likely be there.

But you have to be disappointed for England, maybe their Olympics bid ruined their changes. But the country with the best league, and who invented the damn game, deserve to host more than the once.

So true. But what's done is done. I dont know why they did not pick Bahrain or some other place. Man, oh man, Im going to miss the ladies and the beers...We'll all wear our burkas and in the heat....

Again, who knows what will happen between now and then? The world changes, day by day. So I wouldn't be surprised if things turned around and the events went well.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM

It will be 12 years from now, maybe the Qataris have planned some serious liberalization

Old 12-02-2010, 12:20 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,428,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Because it's Qatar. No booze, no scantily clad Brazilian girls, it's too small to accommodate and....

IT'S 130°!
Qatar has said alcohol will be allowed for the World Cup.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Qatar has said alcohol will be allowed for the World Cup.
That's a start. Let the country get with the times by hosting the World Cup games (Allowing booze, and let the ladies take off their burkas ).

Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Oh well. Why are people disappointed in Qatar?

Let's see, the country is half the size of New Jersey, has a population less than the metropolitan area of Omaha, and a GDP that is 1/3rd that of California.

They dont have any business hosting the largest event in the world. Their bid should not have even gotten consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer