Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:44 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,354,984 times

Advertisements

Ok, I don't know if this question has been asked before but here goes:

Who cares how popular soccer is in America? Before someone answers "obviously you do since you commented on it" let me expand my idea.

I'm an American, born and raised. Most of my friends are American, born and raised. There are some who have followed sports their whole lives, some who have only recently begun following sports more closely OUTSIDE of the usual finals seasons (such as myself), and some who don't follow any sports as all. All of us seem to get along with our lives just fine and aren't probably going to move their opinions one way or the other.

Now, I enjoy watching soccer. I can't speak for anyone else, but I absolutely love the sport. I have so much admiration for people who can basically run for 90 minutes straight, with only a 15 minute break during half-time, basically coordinating a ball with every single body part BUT your arms and hands. There are no time outs, no times during the game where you can make plays, but just pure on the spot action the whole way. The individual players have A LOT more autonomy in soccer than I feel do in a lot of other sports.

This doesn't mean I don't enjoy other sports either. I'm a HUGE basketball fan (if you see all the Lakers gear I own....), a HUGE American football fan, and enjoy playing baseball for fun. You see, there's nothing mutually exclusive from stopping me enjoying other sports while enjoying soccer. I would've played more soccer as a kid, but I was too fat to run and now I'm too old.

Do I wish soccer was more popular in the US? Sure, because it will expand our pool of talent on the worldwide level, giving America even more pride in how great this nation is.

Do I think its necessary for my own or anyone else's own personal enjoyment to care how popular soccer is in the US? Not really. I'll still enjoy the game whether or not its mainstream in the US.

You see, in America we have this thing called freedom of choice. We can watch soccer because we have the freedom to. Come July 4th, I will be celebrating Independence Day along with most other Americans. The reason why we ARE Americans is because of the freedom it entails. If you don't like soccer, you can simply not watch it. For those who want to enjoy the game, you have every single right to.

Saying that we're anti-American somehow by enjoying this game, well...tough luck. There's really nothing you can do about it to make us NOT watch the game.

That's the beauty of our country.

If you don't like soccer, then there's really nothing from stopping you from changing the channel. It's really that simple.

/end rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 07:19 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,484,174 times
I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 PM

47 posts, read 152,173 times

this video make me speechless

Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,292,395 times
It did become a little trendy to bash soccer shortly after Glenn Beck called it a part of a liberal conspiracy and an unwelcome intrusion to American society.

But well, there are tens of millions in this country who do like it, or have some interest. It is gaining more and more steam as the years progress. I think the US will get the World Cup hosting rights again, either 2018 or 2022... which will be huge.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:49 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,578,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
It did become a little trendy to bash soccer shortly after Glenn Beck called it a part of a liberal conspiracy and an unwelcome intrusion to American society.
whaaaaaa??!!!

I'd love to have a link to that one....

thats gotta be a joke.

soccer is un american!!!!!!!11!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,242,437 times
Nothing is unAmerican. But soccer is unmanly, as in:

Ooh, you pushed me. I fall down. Now I weep. Ref flashes card at you. I jump up. All better now!

Rinse and repeat, ad nauseum.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 AM

364 posts, read 480,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Nothing is unAmerican. But soccer is unmanly, as in:

Ooh, you pushed me. I fall down. Now I weep. Ref flashes card at you. I jump up. All better now!

Rinse and repeat, ad nauseum.
Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:35 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,292,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Don't spread it around, but --- I actually like soccer. It's just more fun torturing the soccer nuts by pretending that I don't.

They're as hysterical as the players who repeatedly pretend to have broken legs, only to pop up and undergo remarkable recoveries...
That answer a few questions?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,938,225 times
*The majority of Americans do not watch nor do they like soccer, period.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:55 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,242,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
That answer a few questions?
Well, it certainly demonstrates that some people on C-D have no sense of humor whatsoever, and take themselves and their um sport waaay too seriously.

To the Americans reading this: Happy Fourth!

To everyone else: You're welcome. Bitte schoen. De nada. De rien. Do itashimash1te. Prego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer