U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-10-2011, 08:52 AM
 
59 posts, read 38,886 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Wut ? Do you know how fit you ahve to be to play soccer? You obviously dont. They run for 10 miles a game, constantly. Compare that to the NFL where you can throw a fat guy in tights on teh field, let him play for 30 seconds and rest up for 5 minutes while they cut to commericals. That comment sir, is a joke.
You didn't understand my post.

Take the best athletes in the NFL/NBA and compare them to the American Soccer players, it isn't even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM
 
161 posts, read 123,530 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
You didn't understand my post.

Take the best athletes in the NFL/NBA and compare them to the American Soccer players, it isn't even close.
Depends on what you're comparing though. Our best professional soccer player is a pretty damn good athlete. Can he dunk a basketball, probably not cause he's not 6'7. But if you're lookin at p4p then I think you'll be surprised. You have to realized that different aspect of each sport is emphasized. A soccer player doesn't need to bench 350 lbs, so why would it matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 AM
 
59 posts, read 38,886 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMePost View Post
Depends on what you're comparing though. Our best professional soccer player is a pretty damn good athlete. Can he dunk a basketball, probably not cause he's not 6'7. But if you're lookin at p4p then I think you'll be surprised. You have to realized that different aspect of each sport is emphasized. A soccer player doesn't need to bench 350 lbs, so why would it matter?
You're right, it is really hard to compare. What determines the best athlete?

Pound for pound, the biggest athletic freak I've ever seen is Lebron James.

Quickness, explosion, leaping ability, change of speed ability...I just see the guys in the NFL/NBA as more gifted.

Skill required for soccer though is a different story. Those guys are amazingly skilled at their sport.

Another reason the US sucks at soccer-the coaching. Compared to the rest of the world, the skills these guys have from over seas and South America isnt even comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,552 posts, read 16,413,350 times
Reputation: 5092
You cannot compare the specific skills of an NBA/NFL/MLS player vs each other but you can overall athletic ability.

A MLS player cant dunk but a 6'7" NBA player cant do a cryuff and nutmeg a defeneder to chip the keeper. For overall athletic fitness, yes some of the top US atletes do play in MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
 
59 posts, read 38,886 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You cannot compare the specific skills of an NBA/NFL/MLS player vs each other but you can overall athletic ability.

A MLS player cant dunk but a 6'7" NBA player cant do a cryuff and nutmeg a defeneder to chip the keeper. For overall athletic fitness, yes some of the top US atletes do play in MLS.

Fitness doesn't equate the best athlete. There's almost a hundred percent better chance that LeBron would fare better at top level professional soccer right now than someone like Lionel Messi would fare at top level professional basketball.

Last edited by Trip McNeely; 02-10-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,421 posts, read 21,980,735 times
Reputation: 33736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Wut ? Do you know how fit you ahve to be to play soccer? You obviously dont. They run for 10 miles a game, constantly. Compare that to the NFL where you can throw a fat guy in tights on teh field, let him play for 30 seconds and rest up for 5 minutes while they cut to commericals. That comment sir, is a joke.
Then...marathon runners are better athletes than soccer players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,115,000 times
Reputation: 4093
i think the top soccer players have bags of skill, but i know the top nba players have plenty of skill aswell, people who love there sport realise this and thats how they follow that sport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 AM
 
59 posts, read 38,886 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
i think the top soccer players have bags of skill, but i know the top nba players have plenty of skill aswell, people who love there sport realise this and thats how they follow that sport
Absolutely. Baseball players have tons of skill as well....hitting a baseball off of a pro pitcher is probably the toughest thing to do in all of sports. These guys certainly aren't the best athletes though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: England
3,250 posts, read 3,150,188 times
Reputation: 3210
A soccer player is expected to attack AND defend, THAT'S what makes them top athletes, speed & stamina.
If any of you are lucky enough to see a top EPL game live, you would be amazed at the sheer pace and aggression these players can maintain for 90 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2011, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,761,873 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Fitness doesn't equate the best athlete. There's almost a hundred percent better chance that LeBron would fare better at top level professional soccer right now than someone like Lionel Messi would fare at top level professional basketball.

The only reason Messi would struggle is height. Adoption of skill would favor Messi.

You do everything with your hands. You eat, brush your teeth, drive your car, wipe your ass, and whatever else you need to do. All you do with your feet is walk and fun.

That is why a basketball, football, or baseball players would not translate well. It is an entire different sent of skills.

With football and baseball you throw a ball 30 yards to a moving target. With soccer you have to kick the ball while you are moving to a moving target. It is far more difficult than throwing a ball.

Most people can go out in their front yard right now and throw a baseball to another person just fine. However, hardly anyone could go out and start running with a ball at their feet, reach a swift pace and then accurately play it over to another person. Hell, most people can't pass a soccer ball to another person at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top