U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2011, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Leeds, England
591 posts, read 710,689 times
Reputation: 317

Advertisements

Arsenal aren't the team people are making out they are. They haven't challenged the title side they last won it and haven't won a trophy for 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Washington state
7,208 posts, read 8,379,049 times
Reputation: 1892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
Arsenal aren't the team people are making out they are. They haven't challenged the title side they last won it and haven't won a trophy for 5 years.
So Arsenal hasn't won a trophy in 5 years? They are still one of the top clubs in the world and it's not as if they haven't been right there in almost every competition. Also their attractive attacking football is second to none..except maybe Barca.

You know, in the late 90's and the first half of the 2000's it was primarily Arsenal and MU competing for the league and the FA Cup. Then, the Russian mobster crawled out of whatever pit he inhabits, turned Chelsea into Chelski and proceeded to start buying trophies.

Now, Manchester City and their Sheikh owner are attempting to follow Abramovich's model..just spend enough and you'll win. This overpaying for players has driven transfer prices up (reminds me of George Steinbrenner ruining MLB's payroll structure) and makes it much harder for other clubs still doing it the right way, such as Arsenal, to compete. So, naturally they're not going to garner as many trophies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2011, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Kansas City, MO
5,763 posts, read 9,744,446 times
Reputation: 2806
Mercyside Derby tomorrow. 8AM on Fox Soccer Channel. Can't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
6 posts, read 7,402 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Mercyside Derby tomorrow. 8AM on Fox Soccer Channel. Can't wait.
Such a let down for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
Reputation: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
It is? They've already got 5 losses in the Premier League so far. In 2007-08, they only had 3 all year. The only reason they are still close to the top is because Chelsea has fallen on hard times and MU and City seem content with draws..
.
thats what i am saying that was a few years ago, nasri, fabregas, van persie, wilshire, song, chamack, arshavin, walcott, sagna, clichy, are all top class players, you are right maybe there centre backs and goalkeeper are a bit 'dodgy' but arsenal are all out attack usually anyway. and if you don't think arsenal are playing really well this season, still in most cups domestic and european and playing the 'arsenal way' with great football, you don't know much about football
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,088,512 times
Reputation: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00kash View Post
Such a let down for me
i thought the liverpool derby was great?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Reputation: 5087
I thought it was a good derby. Cant really judge Liverpool on it because it was a derby and form goes out the window. Hopefully they can be turned around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Leeds, England
591 posts, read 710,689 times
Reputation: 317
It was a good derby game. Everton should have won it imo.

Best derby out of the 3 on the day. The others were all fairly poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 07:28 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC
3,848 posts, read 3,968,588 times
Reputation: 6494
Welcome Matt,

It is amazing, all the leagues and levels in the UK. Sometimes I hear Brits saying the EPL is crap (all about money, no alcohol in stands, less local pride) and that the true spirit is in the lower leagues/smaller clubs.

I think most American soccer fans stick to the EPL but are interested in relegation or promotion... like Newcastle bouncing back after one year, or if Fulham drops this year. We also know there is talent there, so if DC United signed a player from Rotherham, we'd be excited for him to be pretty darned good.

I personally think the EPL may be too taxing to players and it contributes to poorer play in Internationals. Maybe Rooney was just too tired in the World Cup for instance. It's also interesting to see reknowned players basically fail in the EPL. Players are getting bigger and faster every year and time on the ball less and less. I feel every other league in the world is a picnic compared to the EPL.

Yet maybe the Bundesliga rewards its fans the most? Which league has the highest approval rating amongst it's fans? (bear with me), I'd say the Bundesliga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2011, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Reading, UK
175 posts, read 172,637 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Welcome Matt,

It is amazing, all the leagues and levels in the UK. Sometimes I hear Brits saying the EPL is crap (all about money, no alcohol in stands, less local pride) and that the true spirit is in the lower leagues/smaller clubs.

I think most American soccer fans stick to the EPL but are interested in relegation or promotion... like Newcastle bouncing back after one year, or if Fulham drops this year. We also know there is talent there, so if DC United signed a player from Rotherham, we'd be excited for him to be pretty darned good.

I personally think the EPL may be too taxing to players and it contributes to poorer play in Internationals. Maybe Rooney was just too tired in the World Cup for instance. It's also interesting to see reknowned players basically fail in the EPL. Players are getting bigger and faster every year and time on the ball less and less. I feel every other league in the world is a picnic compared to the EPL.

Yet maybe the Bundesliga rewards its fans the most? Which league has the highest approval rating amongst it's fans? (bear with me), I'd say the Bundesliga.

I'd say the Bundesliga too mate. The fan comes first in Germany. Tickets are cheaper and the transport to the ground is free i've heard. Attendances are up and atmospheres over there are good. Most grounds have standing areas which are unheard of mostly in englad nowadays. Im a bit old skool in the fact i like to stand at the footie, makes for a better atmosphere and what not.

I think the EPL is a higher standard of football quality wise, but ticket prices are high. Trouble is people pay the prices so there only going to rise. I dont support an EPL team though, so our tickets arent too bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top